Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BCMYKRMCXYZiggs

03-26-2013

Looking back at Trundle's old lore, it does need a reboot. Kinda undesirable to play a cannibalistic and ignorant beings of Valoran.

[Edit]

Seems some members of the forum have come up with their own conclusions of what the lore is saying about Trolls of Valoran. True, it is said that Trundle's tribe is said to be undeserving of the attack that befell them by the necromancer and they are the more mild mannered brethren of the troll race.

Still, the lore is ambiguous as to how far apart in nature the trolls are from each other. We are talking about fictitious races with no real definition until someone from Riot states otherwise. Besides humans or terran, most races are considered homogenous from the get go until otherwise said. It is unsettling to know trolls cannibalize and are separated from other intelligent races (whatever that means). If Trundle's tribe are so different from the rest of the trolls why is there no mention of them getting along with other races? It doesn't help that Trundle has the ability to bite other champsions in game. Some may assume that Trundle can resort to cannibalism towards his enemies.

Of course, I make speculations like the rest of the forum about how the lore is interpreted. But keep in mind that there is little to work with in terms of the what defines the trolls of Valoran since there isn't much troll lore. I have read the lore. And to conclude that cannibalism is out of the question because Trundle's tribe is "more genteel" and undeserving of their grisly fate can only be opinion.

I understand the emotional bonds that players have formed with the champion Trundle. I want like him and play him as well. However, parts of his lore is ambiguous and undefined at best. Bordering on traits that deplorable. Why do trolls even cannibalize to begin with? Is in their nature? Do they have a shortage of food? Trundle's splash sets him in jungle or swamp. Their should be plenty of game in those parts. Why resort to cannibalism in the first place? With the inclusion of Quinn's journals maybe more light can shed upon the mysteries of Valoran and Trundle's tribe.

I only stated what I did in hopes that Riot would change this part of Trundle's lore for the better. If Riot fully commits with the Trundle reboot, his lore may better define what trolls are fully capable of. Quinn's journal has already released bits about whats up with Trundle and the trolls that he leads. So far they portrayed in a antagonistic light.

Did Quinn judge too quickly when she observed the Troll King? Is there more to Trundle than meets the eye? Only time will tell.

THE CRlMSON CHIN

03-26-2013

I think the most common issue that everyone has is that while the new Trundle is completely different and some love and some hate it, the traditional Trundle skin is not the Trundle we know and love either. Riot if you are going to make a Traditional skin it must keep the characteristic qualities of that champion the same, not change them as much as the new base skin does. (for some more detailed feedback on why I have so many problems with the traditional skin see here - http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3264299)

Deestro

03-26-2013

I love the new look and the fact that he will be getting his animations fixed finally, Trundle has always been one of my fav champs. Kinda sad to see the lore go though, he kinda had an awesome back story that made me want to play him even more.

Starrfall

03-26-2013

I'm going to miss the old Trundle

woopyfrood

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Racoon View Post
You'll forgive me for saying, but Riot's professionalism regarding it's decisions in such things is very, very poor. It feels you guys are utterly uncaring regarding the characters you've created, and in a truly "fanfic" state of mind, you break any good backstory to pursue one that's more "cool".

I'm sure I'll get downvoted for this, but honestly, I can't bring myself to care about -any- of the characters knowing that at a moment's notice they'll be uprooted at their base and changed into something completely different. So, point being, if Trundle, a champ nobody felt needed a change yet is getting one anyway, comes out feeling like anything but Trundle, I'll uninstall and never play again. Characters are a -huge- part of this game, and when we as players can't rely on even that, it's not a game worth playing anymore, as it becomes painfully clear that the characters aren't ours to enjoy.
Upvoted.

Trundle's current design and themes have a cult following, and this change is a slap to that fandom's face, especially with a "Traditional" skin that just looks like a buff WoW troll that put on a Trundle costume. People who argue against the Trundle fans often use the fact that we're a minority as a justification for trashing his original concept, and that it's more reasonable to make him palatable to the masses than extremely appealing to a niche group. That kind of pro-homogenization thought should be fought against. It is antithesis to art and fandom.

Kamakazi Pope

03-26-2013

They can not do this to my Troll. They are turning him into a ugly big muscle bound idiot. He was unique I liked him how he was he was perfect. He was one of my first to play and made me love the game. to see a unique character become a just another giant meat head is sad. I want a refund on his skins and him to be honest.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMYKRMCXYZiggs View Post
Looking back at Trundle's old lore, it does need a reboot. Kinda undesirable to play a cannibalistic and ignorant beings of Valoran.
His tribe isn't canabalistic, or at least they are heavily implied not to be when the lore says they are gentler than their more savage brethren.

Do you even lore?

SoBeNirvana

Adjudicator

03-26-2013

I love that new Trundle design. Ice powers is something I'd like to have. Leprosy? Not so much.

Edvard Rubeartis

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBeNirvana View Post
I love that new Trundle design. Ice powers is something I'd like to have. Leprosy? Not so much.
If you want ice abilities, there is a long list of champions that have them. If Riot was going for 'unique', another ice champ is not the answer.

Thankfully you never have to step into their skin to the extent that you experience leprosy. It's artistic, and certainly unique. Hell, if I was to meet him in rl, it might freak me out to see him stride up to me...leaving chunks of himself behind...but i've always been more interested in the personality anyway.

I'm not giving up on old Trundle.

PrinceDarknight

03-26-2013

As a huge Trundle fan, I'll reserve my final judgements until I of course see more. I understand Trundle's strange lack of popularity demanded that soemthing be done, but I'm not a huge fan of what I see so far. I think his new design looks too "monsturous", as where the current Trundle was more "human" and intelligent looking, the new one looks a bit too brutish for my taste.

That being said, I'm really glad to ehar that his abilities are getting QoL changes, rather than re-works, because his kit is half the fun and reason why i like to play him (the other being that he's a cursed troll). I only REALLY hope you keep the same voice actor. Make's Trundle sound hilarious as is.

Excited to see one of my all tiem favorite champs get some new found love. I just hope what I liked so much about the original is still intact.