Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kirthalion

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlySuicidal View Post
words cannot describe how much i hate you
Don't hate.

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

03-25-2013

#Freljord is coming

Anusbutt

Recruiter

03-25-2013

Tis gonna be a great day once Da trolls come out >

BRAVEYpl0x

03-25-2013

I am so desperately going to miss the bitter runty rotting outcast that once was Trundle... he was (and always will be) THE most compelling character in any video game I have ever played.

/salute to Old Trundle.

Furudo

03-25-2013

Looks like a regular WoW troll.

Shadow Racoon

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
What’s this…? Is this… a troll?

What’s a troll doing in the Freljord? Are we… trolling you?

[aws3]news/March_2013/03_25_2013_-_teaser/NewTrundleDance.gif[/aws3]

On a more serious note, some of you will probably guess that if there’s a troll and he’s wielding a club… it’s Trundle! So we wanted to give you a taste of what’s to come, namely Trundle’s relaunch and his reimagining in the icy north.

While old Trundle certainly had a unique narrative and visual design, we always felt he was disconnected from the rest of the world. This inhibited the number of stories we could tell with Trundle and, well, we want to tell stories about him. Trundle’s upcoming changes include a gameplay update (more of a quality improvement than a rework – similar in scope to our Taric changes in [URL2="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeH8HzGi3sc&t=01m57s"]3.03[/URL2]), a new ice-themed aesthetic (if you couldn’t guess), and a new story that ties Trundle to the brewing conflict in the Freljord.

Stay tuned in the coming weeks, because we’ve got plans for Trundle – not to mention that Trundle has plans of his own!

You’ll have to wait to hear more, but here’s something to tide you over. [URL2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3224791"]As with Karma’s relaunch[/URL2], anyone who owns Trundle before his relaunch will get this Traditional Trundle (has a nice ring to it) skin for free:

[aws2="news/March_2013/03_25_2013_-_teaser/Trundle_Traditional_Comic.jpg"]news/March_2013/03_25_2013_-_teaser/Trundle_Traditional_Comic_thumb.jpg[/aws2]

Honestly, I'm -exceedingly- disappointed by this news. A visual update is fine, but gameplay wise Trundle was and is one of the most balanced characters in the game. And his backstory was amazing, being a good guy in bad guy's clothing. A martyr for his clan that was on a quest to cure a curse, and beat every ass along the way.

I can't even begin to tell you how absolutely peeved I am regarding a change to his backstory. First we screwed up Taric who was also fine, since he's at war with his own abilities now, and now we're shooting Trundle. Fix the ones that need to be fixed, not the ones that don't.

My interest in this game as a whole due to things like this is dropping sharply as of late.

Shadow Racoon

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
The thing is, Trundle's old playstyle is intimately tied to his old aesthetics. Scrappiness, filth, disease, making trouble and getting out of it with a sliver of health, smashing through the pain. Trundle's playstyle, from a visual standpoint, is what you see now--a runt troll with a scrappy, feral run hitting people with a club as big as he is and regenerating all the while.

Not only that, but from a visual standpoint, Trundle's readability will be taking a hit--a buff troll king from icy lands is different from a runty, decaying troll that's as filthy as they come. Trundle's new look says a lot of things that aren't present in his current kit (only his pillar really makes sense at this point), things that are better said by his old look.

From a game design perspective, this is dropping the ball. Best case scenario is that this is an April Fool, that Freijlord Trundle is the new Trundle skin the Rioters were talking about, and that Traditional Trundle is the VU--and even then, just that buffness gets rid of a lot of what was conveyed by his kit, and a lot of what was endearing about his character.

Also this. ALL DAY LONG.

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

Agreed with the above.

Zerglinator

03-25-2013

Imma post my thoughts on this right here.

I'm still saying, all we have to go on is Quinn's quick glimpse and rumors of the Troll King...we have NO clue what sort of personality/backstory this new Trundle might have.

Seeing a troll run around and spread some horrifying infection he has isn't exactly the most compelling case. It's when you read his background that you actually care. And Quinn hasn't read his background. Neither have I. Nor have any of you.

And his old lore still applies to his Traditional Skin, in the same way that there's lore behind the Steel Legion, or the Battlecast skins, or Pulsefire Ezreal. And between his Bio and his Judgement, I'd say that Traditional Trundle has a fairly COMPLETE story. He gets the disease for his tribe. He goes to the League seeking the cure. He learns that his tribe will die without the curse on them. Having learned from past experiences, he decides to let them suffer and will continue fighting in the League with the power of his infection. Does he really need a more expanded story past that? So many people love his current lore, so why attempt to expand on a fairly closed story and get hated for it?

antikatze

03-25-2013

dayym