Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VicariousxD

03-25-2013

I have to start by saying that I had a long post written up, but I decided to re-write it in a more factual tone and try to avoid "frowned upon" words a little bit more.

Allow me to begin by stating that I main Trundle. I picked Trundle because he seemed unique, and as soon as I first played him I feel in love with his play style. I had heard a lot about him being less-than-superb, and it made sense with his relatively low pick rate, but I found him to be completely viable. I imagine any professional player and most experienced players will agree that, albeit situational, Trundle is a viable pick. Most of all, one of my favorite features of Trundle was his low-profile though. Not many people played him; something I valued, after playing Rengar frequently and having him crushed from me, and the same fate slowly descending upon Hecarim, another champion I picked up prior to him being FotM. I had thought and hoped that with Trundle I would be nearly immune to such happenings. After all, who would decide to mess with a lowly troll that is ignored by the short sighted? Needless to say, I am less than pleased with the announced rework.

Trundle is not a common champion, because he is not the same as all of the others. He needs a slightly altered play style. Most people don't want to take the time to learn how to play a champion they already rarely see, and that is their own issue. I am confident to say that he is a very rewarding champion when used properly. I am usually one of the first to encourage change to the game, and I usually trust all of you down there at Riot to do the best for the game. For the most part (*cough cough* overstatement *cough*), you all manage to succeed at such, but I fear this is a different case due to the nature of Trundle and those who take the time to actually learn how to play him.

I have to wonder, of what purpose is this rework? Not to point fingers and call names, but it is more-or-less apparent to me that it is based off of a semi-corporate motive. Bluntly, it seems to me that this rework is entirely to convince people to spend money on Trundle and/or his skins. There is nothing wrong with a company attempting to make more of a profit, and I will be the first to say that, but what about player satisfaction? Is that completely null and void as soon as the ability to yield a profit comes into play? Face it, when it comes to a champion like Trundle, those who play him in his current state agree he is viable, and those who do not have not attempted to use him or just given into the populate view of him being "weak." I see any form of Red response to this highly unlikely, but please, if you care any bit about your player-base at all Riot, attempt to convince me otherwise. Explain to me how this Trundle rework is to the benefit of anything more than your profit margins. If it is anything other than such, why rework an already viable champion? Why not Heimerdinger instead? If you do explain this, I will be more than happy to consider the information you provide to me. If I actually receive a response, I will be more than happy to give true reasoning aside from my personal opinion on why Trundle is fine how he is.

In conclusion, I apologize for any disdainful tone you make take from this. I have whole-fully supported Riot as a company from the time I began playing and, for the most part, enjoy their customer-service. I will grant the benefit of the doubt and assume myself to be over-reacting to this and wait for further information, but I somehow expect this to be the turning point of League for me. As stated above, any (highly unlikely) Red response addressing points I have made in this post would be appreciated, and I applaud any of you Rioters who have managed to stomach my writings all the way through this, despite a more-than-likely differing opinion to that of your own. In the mean time, I will wait patiently for further information on his rework so I can begin to assess what toll this will truly be taking on him.

Also, perfect example of what I mentioned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyro Elloyn View Post
Holy ****, you're pulling out so many VUs and Free Skins in such a short period, now I gotta buy Sejuani and Trundle. D:

octavian1127

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
There is so much of the Freljord Quinn has yet to see, and she has already encountered trolls! What started as a simple reconnaissance mission seems to be turning into something more sinister. This worries me - what else might she find on her travels?

I dare not utter my worst fears. If Prince Jarvan knew what was happening, I think his heart might skip a beat. Poor Jarvan, sitting all alone in his chambers - I hope he finally takes the opportunity to write Quinn back!
he's probably to busy with Shyvana to be doing any writing....

GlurakTheGreat

03-25-2013

. Played trundle religiously in S1 and 2. Was so sad to see him just sitting there... I AM SO HAPPY NAO!

TO BE A TROLL YOU MUST HAVE HONOR... HONOR AND A WEEEEENIS

Nasdrovia499

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexTheHex View Post
Oh this is exciting!

Karma Relaunch!
ZAC!
Freljord Lore!
Sejuani Relaunch!
Lissandra? Ice Witch?!?!
Trundle Relaunch!

I'm looking forward to all of it and appreciate Riot's hard work at all this incredible content on the way.

P.S.- Trundle looks like his skin is covered in frost bite, perhaps the Ice Queen cursed his people and he is trying to lead his people to find the culprit and kill her to end the curse. AKA Trundle is still the "cursed" troll and gives reason for the trolls to be on a war path.
I hope Trundle retains somewhat of this "cursed troll" theme, which was really original.
Karma Relaunch and ZAC are on PBE already, just waiting for them to come live, Sejuani and Trundle getting a rework / upgrade is nice...
But I'm really curious about Lissandra and that Ice Witch character...Maybe a follow up release, like they did for Darius / Draven ?

I'm a bit worried about so much new content announced around april's fools, I expect Riot to have a few aces up their sleeves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
There is so much of the Freljord Quinn has yet to see, and she has already encountered trolls! What started as a simple reconnaissance mission seems to be turning into something more sinister. This worries me - what else might she find on her travels?

I dare not utter my worst fears. If Prince Jarvan knew what was happening, I think his heart might skip a beat. Poor Jarvan, sitting all alone in his chambers - I hope he finally takes the opportunity to write Quinn back!
Let's be honest, if it was just a reconnaissance mission, you would send some low ranked peons, not a Champion accepted within the League.

Surgo

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
What’s this…? Is this… a troll?

What’s a troll doing in the Freljord? Are we… trolling you?

[aws3]news/March_2013/03_25_2013_-_teaser/NewTrundleDance.gif[/aws3]

On a more serious note, some of you will probably guess that if there’s a troll and he’s wielding a club… it’s Trundle! So we wanted to give you a taste of what’s to come, namely Trundle’s relaunch and his reimagining in the icy north.

While old Trundle certainly had a unique narrative and visual design, we always felt he was disconnected from the rest of the world. This inhibited the number of stories we could tell with Trundle and, well, we want to tell stories about him. Trundle’s upcoming changes include a gameplay update (more of a quality improvement than a rework – similar in scope to our Taric changes in [URL2="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeH8HzGi3sc&t=01m57s"]3.03[/URL2]), a new ice-themed aesthetic (if you couldn’t guess), and a new story that ties Trundle to the brewing conflict in the Freljord.

Stay tuned in the coming weeks, because we’ve got plans for Trundle – not to mention that Trundle has plans of his own!
Please tell me that you guys are at least going to keep Trundle's nobility and self-sacrifice. Please.

Hollywood Cool

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
Aside from it was a case of Riot listening to the community.
Out of all the times they don't?

"Buff Rengar." Silence. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Incompetent apathetic ****s.
"Where's our reworked Evelynn/Karma?" YEARS before they started giving much of a **** about the players who play them that they'd start prioritizing quick.
"Nerf Darius!" It took them a year and a day to be like "eh ok lets nerf his ult I GUESS."
"Nerf Graves!" on release, instead they literally said "BETTER NERF IRELIA!"

Riot ignores far more than they listen.
EDIT: Riot fanboys downvoting. You know it's true. You can't deny any of this, so each downvote to me is just another Riot fanboy gasping in horrified contempt at reading the list provided.

Zerglinator

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cool View Post
Out of all the times they don't?

"Buff Rengar." Silence. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Incompetent apathetic ****s.
"Where's our reworked Evelynn/Karma?" YEARS before they started giving much of a **** about the players who play them that they'd start prioritizing quick.
"Nerf Darius!" It took them a year and a day to be like "eh ok lets nerf his ult I GUESS."
"Nerf Graves!" on release, instead they literally said "BETTER NERF IRELIA!"

Riot ignores far more than they listen.
ARAM Matchmaking? Replays?

Wait, those took time to implement, so I guess they conveniently don't count. For the convenience of your argument.

Koronisz

03-25-2013

What do you guys think of this? Please disregard terrible English :P

> Famine plagues the land of the Ruhgosk tribe. Multiples agents are sent by the High Shaman to discover a land where the tribe could move in order to survive. Trundle is one of troll sent to the Glade.

> Trundle is caught by a fae spirit roaming the Glade. Said spirit (Pix) then alerts Lulu.

> Lulu investigates. She discovers that he's the ugliest thing she has ever seen. In order to correct this, she tries to turn him into a cute critter.

> Lulu's magic is found to be useless. Could the curse have reinforced his natural defenses? Maybe said curse is not so bad after all? (Trundle passive could now be something like a built-in Banshee's veil or something like "When hit by magic damage, if not hit again during the next 3 seconds, trundle regenerates half of the damage over 5 seconds)

> Lulu is beyond displeased that her magic is infective and she thinks she'll do the world a favor by getting rid of such an hideous creature: She tricks him to visit Freljord by telling him the tale of the Ice witch (or sorceress w/e they call her). She could be able to cure his curse. Lulu knows that even if he survives the dangerous climate of Freljord, he won't last long on the land of the Ice witch.

> Trundle embarks into this new journey: Going to Freljord and cure his curse. He then could be hit by a patrol of Sejuani's riders who beat him down and leave him for dead in the snow.

> Because of his regeneration ability, he heals his wound enough to survive.

> By chance, he is found by the Vicious and Barbarish Ice troll Warlord himself. He takes him by pity saving him from death by hypothermia.

> When Trundle is completely healed, he has audience with the Warlord. He then tells his tale (The curse, the famine, etc). The warlord laugh at him trying to get to the Ice Witch and then tells him that even though he's a bit innocent/foolish, it reminisce him of his younger days. He knows that times are tough and he could use courageous allies like him: The Ruhgosk tribe is invited to join theirs.

> Trundle knows that the Ruhgosk tribe are more gentle version of their cousin, however sacrifice will be have to be made in order to assure the future of it's tribe. Also, after being fooled, laughed at, bullied and beated again, and this time because of Lulu, he completely flips ape Sh*t (becomes more barbaric) and wants to hunt down Lulu (possible cool interaction happens.. ie: even tho he is silenced, he is not transformed into a critter, etc).

> Trundle goes back to the high shaman of the Ruhgosk tribe. Even in such short time, his personality has changed; he's a lot more mature. High shaman notices that, accepts the Warlord's offer and names Trundle Warlord of the tribe. He is met by his peer as a savior who bow and kneel to him. The tribes embark into an expedition to go meet their new allies in the north.

- Traditional trundle cancelled; stays his default skin.
- Current "ice troll look" is renamed Ice expedition Trundle and is modified slightly to remove boring cartoon look. Ice shard made more menacing. (wtf is that red beard?)
- New skin: Trundle, Savior of the Ruhgosk tribe. *Steroid + menacing + masked look*. Like in Quinn's diary. His club and pillar are a lot more refined. etc

TheTome

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane Azmadi View Post
Why is this GARBAGE getting upvotes?

You yourself said when you released Trundle you want Runeterran trolls to be something unique and you succeeded. They weren't marauding monsters, they were pitiful cursed creature who were more of a nuisance than a serious threat. Trundle's story was great, he wasn't a generic troll warlord, he was the tribal pariah who sacrificed himself to save them from their disfiguring curse, only to find himself even MORE of an outcast, seeking salvation from his pain in the League. But apparently that was too interesting so NOW HE'S A GENERIC TROLL WARLORD.
To be fair though, I don't see it like that.

Try to remember that, up until now, Ashe and Tryn's rule over Freljord has been unopposed, unquestioned (except by other claimants to the throne) and generally seen as a great boon and benefit to all the people of the frozen north. They have no conflict and know no strife.

In less than a year, the Freljord region, which was mostly made of wandering nomads, isolationists and intelligent monster races, managed to unite and form a political empire with the strength to be considered a new world power and absolutely everyone was happy with it.

Really?

That's not very believable if you ask me. What's more believable is that, while most of the people were happy, one select group were left out in the cold (heh, pun!) while the new expanding empire gobbled up every bit of land it could and forced those who would not join out. Sort of like, how every empire in history has done.

Who's to say those who were forced out weren't the trolls?

Another poster, before me, said that the 'raiding' trolls could just be trying to secure food supplies now that Freljords have taken their lands. Who's to say that's not the case? Who's to say the burning and killing of civilians isn't the trolls striking back at invaders trying to colonize and claim their home? For those of you sufficiently nerdy enough, try to remember the Gorn captain and Captain Kirk from Star Trek. Originally, you were supposed to think that the big lizard monsters who destroyed an unarmed colony were bad, but later find out that they were just xenophobes who were mistakenly under the impression they were being invaded again (the Gorn race had already been invaded in the same way twice before meeting Kirk.)

Didn't Trundle's original lore say that everyone thought of trolls as vicious, savage and cruel monsters? If that is still true, wouldn't it make sense that they would be forced out of their lands to make room for a new empire? Because who cares, right? They're just mindlessly cruel monsters! They have no right to the frozen north and we need it! Kick them out!

Heck, Tryndamere's a BARBARIAN KING! I'm sure he and his people have done a bit of raiding and massacring in their time as well. But it's all good if it's for the humans! You know, I wonder who you would have to be fighting in order to need such powerful warriors like Tryndamere? (his tribe was raising him to be a warrior before Noxus showed up)

Probably not the Yetis or the Ursine, as they seem to be on good terms with the humans....

Personally, I don't see this as ruining Trundle's lore as much as it is showing us a little bit of tarnish is the so-far unblemished history of the founding of the Freljord Empire. Maybe things up there aren't as peaceful and unified as they seem....

Emperrier

03-25-2013

if you're going to complain about them ruining trundle's lore you should probably have read trundle's lore. he isn't selfless. like, at all.