Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MobiIe Ward

03-29-2013

all i see r a bunch of butthurt fanboys who dont know what theyre talking about since the changes havnt even been released. i think monkey did a good job designing trundles new default look. and zacs default look. im not a fan of zacs skin though.

MobiIe Ward

03-29-2013

whoever downvoted me. u mad bro?

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-29-2013

You got downvoted for trying to incite anger. We've already addressed that argument. Itemsguy when he did respond to you in the pages past. Albeit then it wasn't with childish Internet rage. So why can't you speak with the same decency? Downvotes show disagreement solely.

BestBilbo

03-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryKittenSoup View Post
all i see r a bunch of butthurt fanboys who dont know what theyre talking about since the changes havnt even been released. i think monkey did a good job designing trundles new default look. and zacs default look. im not a fan of zacs skin though.
I've read through this entire thread (mostly been reading all of ItemsGuy's posts and responses he has gotten on them, since you know, I 'work' with the lad) - let me get this straight for you one last time, FurryKittenSoup.

These are two of Riot's standards when it comes to designing a champion:

-Theme
-Readability.

Theme and readability are narrowly associated to each other.

Readability is paramount for a game that has over 100+ champion available to play.

Would it make sense that you see a burning dude (brand) spew out waterspells? No. It would not be thematic and thus would screw over the readability with the character.

Trundle's entire kit revolves aroud; Filthy, Leprosy, Underdog.

All of these elements were perfectly fine incorperated in his old visual appearance.

Now what happens if you give him this icy look and a more buff appearance?
He loses the 'underdog' part as well as the readability of the abilities that all revolved around being that filthy leprosy troll.

They have said they barely touched his kit and that they are pretty much only QoL changes.

Taking the importance of readability into account, does his new visual appearance with his old spells make more or less sense? Less, arguably you'd get away with saying that 'ice pillar' works - but pretty much the rest of his kit was so narrowly tied to that filthy leprosy'ish underdog that you are harming his readability by not only making him more buff and a straight-up 'manlier' fighter, but also due to the fact to randomly throw that ice theme in there.

What happens is that the champion becomes less unified and lives up less to Riot's own standards - which they'd want to avoid at all costs.

Did Trundle need changes? Most certainly, especially kit-wise in terms of viability - but instead of improving on the character over-all, they've ditched 50% of it (appearance) and come up with something new that doesn't mash as well with the other half than the old visual appearance.

Trundle as a characteristic filthy, underdog, leprosy'ish troll while being more impactful/readable/viable while keeping his old theme elements? Very much possible.

New 'Ice Troll' champion? Very much possible.

You can't give us this 'you haven't seen the whole product yet argument' - we can already acknowledge the fact his kit is going to be less unified with his new visual appearance, which will not only harm him thematically, but also in terms of readability. That's not something you'd want to opt for.

PS: I think this probably the last time we'll have to repeat it now - apart from the few 'OMG STOP **** QQ OLD TRUNDLE PLAYERS THIS NEW ONE IS BETTER TROLOLOL' I'd like to say that there has been some very cool and good constructive discussion here. Keep it up, lads : )

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-29-2013

Haha. Thank you for the above. I'm at work, so I can't respond like I want to. So the detailed and fleshed out posts say what I really want to say.

Muranodo

03-29-2013

I've said what I want, but I'll probably still post if it comes up since I don't want a bunch of troll comments to be taken as serious.

I think if anything we'll get the data card. As it's pretty common now.

Reybag

03-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
(In all honesty, I think it's best if we let this thread sink to the bottom now--it seems like everything that can be said regarding what information we've been given has already been thread, and repeating ourselves will only give the Rioters more to read. I'll be making myself scarce for the time being, but once the VU is on the PBE, I'll see to starting this thread back up again!)

(EDIT: Also, if Grumpy/Morello/etc. comes in here with the "ugly = bad" argument again, I think I'll take the liberty of citing the Oddworld series and any other successful franchise that has made itself known though its "gross" and unconventional aesthetics. And if it turns out that the argument isn't that "ugly things are bad"--because Morello has expressed his distaste for Kog'Maw, yet he's a fan favorite even/especially among female summoners--but rather "we don't want ugly things in our game," I'll probably just end up challenging that decision. Subjective tastes are things one must learn to dial down on when producing content for a wide audience!)
as expected from somone who like trundle character stile so much,you are also a oddworld fan
i salute you my fellow Mudokon

CynicalGiant

03-29-2013

Im curious about the ability changes honestly. You can't just rename all of his abilities with an Ice theme and have it make any sense.

JohnnyC6900

03-29-2013

Trundle. :'D
He looks so awesome! Gee Jay you guys. Keep up the reworks!

Micario

03-29-2013

people say there opinions and get disliked for it -.-
look guys im not a fan with this remake either but you dont have to find comments that have people enjoying the remake and dislike it.