Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slarg232

03-29-2013

He's going to keep his regenerative abilities, correct?

Can't tell you how many times a strategic Smite has gotten me out of a jam.

Hoacs

03-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muranodo View Post
He's getting minor skill tweaks. And it sounds a bit like confusion statuses in RPGs where you move in a direction you don't want. They're usually quite annoying, and it'd lack a fair amount of counterplay, so it'd be denied. Beyond that, I really have no interest in embracing an ice theme to his abilities. Rework is presently and likely to remain garbage for me because of the presently available aesthetic leaks. I can imagine him in his native walk with the new classic model, and I don't like it. Adding the ice theme on top of that just slathers the disappointment on more.

1. When Trundle uses it to run away it would even support the one chasing him, aswell if he engages the enemy said one could use it to "slide away". So i think it'd be kind of balanced.

2. Grumpy Monkey said: There are visual upgrades like nidalee, soraka, Annie, where only art assets are changed.

Then there are reworks like twisted fate where we change the look and the lore, but gameplay is largely unaffected.

Then there are relaunches, where the character can be evolved from all aspects, lore gameplay and art. Karma was our first. Trundle is qualifying as a relaunch since his new base is different enough from his old base to warrant the "traditional" skin.

So the relaunch could/would/will implement new skill-effects, new story, new everything and he is in freljord, which is in fact ice-theme, so why wouldnt his skills adapt the ice-theme?

3. It was basically an idea that popped up wouldn't have thought theres so many dislikers for simple fun and balanced changes. (Changes that will come eventually.)

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-29-2013

You can always mention situational uses, but it's still a rather immediate displacement on the core radius of a non skill shot ability. As for the rest, the original post by Morello mentions it is akin to Taric's adjustments versus Karma. It still falls under relaunch presently due to the ice clean up attempt. So, you're getting downvoted for not reading.

@ItemsGuy -Given their silence and the usual indirect Urf jokes, I know it isn't. You're quite right about the lack of performance in certain aspects. I wouldn't mind if it was another champion either or just a skin. But, well, it seems to be one of those moments where they decide to be daring and they'll stick their foot in their mouths. I would think the fact they are relaunching Sejuani with her already "traditional things the majority should like" would have educated them. Or the jokes about body suits with the like of Elise and Zyra. Guess not. I sometimes think Ironstylus is the most daring individual in art at Riot despite the armor jokes made at him since he's the only one I've seen really talk about the niche with any serious consideration for variety. . I don't know if it's a heavy Western comic style inspiration or a push by Riot, but when I heard he was working on Zac I was really excited and then far less on reveal. It started my initial worry about Trundle and then this.

gNarNar

03-29-2013

Mmmmmm. what do hipster tundle players get? because ive had trundle for a while.

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gNarNar View Post
Mmmmmm. what do hipster tundle players get? because ive had trundle for a while.
A bizarro alternate version of him where all the size of his hands and feet went to his chest. Where the buzzing decay gfx around him are gone as well. So, you know, a handsome disease skin.

Slarg232

03-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muranodo View Post
You can always mention situational uses, but it's still a rather immediate displacement on the core radius of a non skill shot ability. As for the rest, the original post by Morello mentions it is akin to Taric's adjustments versus Karma. It still falls under relaunch presently due to the ice clean up attempt. So, you're getting downvoted for not reading.

@ItemsGuy -Given their silence and the usual indirect Urf jokes, I know it isn't. You're quite right about the lack of performance in certain aspects. I wouldn't mind if it was another champion either or just a skin. But, well, it seems to be one of those moments where they decide to be daring and they'll stick their foot in their mouths. I would think the fact they are relaunching Sejuani with her already "traditional things the majority should like" would have educated them. Or the jokes about body suits with the like of Elise and Zyra. Guess not. I sometimes think Ironstylus is the most daring individual in art at Riot despite the armor jokes made at him since he's the only one I've seen really talk about the niche with any serious consideration for variety. I originally liked GrumpyMonkey's work a lot with some of the Battlecast and Tyrant Swain designs but the macho feel seems to be overwhelming somewhat there.
I dunno, as long as they keep his Debuffer qualities, I'm sure it will be cool still.

Though now we have two kings of the North; Trundle, and Tryndamere (Voli isn't is he?). Could be problematic when you think about it.

Muranodo

03-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slarg232 View Post
I dunno, as long as they keep his Debuffer qualities, I'm sure it will be cool still.

Though now we have two kings of the North; Trundle, and Tryndamere (Voli isn't is he?). Could be problematic when you think about it.
Some players value kit most, some lore, some visuals and lore, and some the entire package. I alternate between visuals and lore just and the entire package. On the matter of Trundle, it was the entire package for me. Early on, I was dissuaded from using him until he went on free week, I found he fit me very well, and I got him after. I liked his kit a lot for jungling. I heard it was always slow, but I felt it very safe and empowering, and I enjoyed it a lot more than top lane.

Despite the kit being roughly the same debuffer, I hate the visual upgrade. It's not what I invested into. It's like when Morello said he would have used Battlecast Urgot as his classic skin if he came out today. Think about the difference. Would Urgot fans like that? No. Trundle fans hate it for the same reason. It's why most agree it'd be acceptable as a skin or cool as another champion.

Volibear doesn't consider himself a king, no. Trundle caring to mettle in politics still greatly confuses me and feels off, so I don't really want to comment on him as a leader and fighter. It just would feel better on another champion and not forced. The underdog anti-hero fit Trundle well. Troll King not as much.

Muranodo

03-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
Mind filling me in on this stuff? Not sure what you're talking about with Sej, pretty sure I know about the bodysuit jokes (ie. Riot not really ever being creative with their female designs, but especially the "monstrous" ones), and from what I've seen, Grumpy probably shouldn't be in charge of the more abstract designs. Zac and VU Trundle are disappointing as hell, and while he's had his moments, it seems like his wellspring of creativity is well on its way to drying up (either that, or this is just a string of unfortunately bad design decisions).
Forgive the potential double post since this is from a phone. Sejuani's comment was aimed at the entire fact that she embodied a lot of the typical comments about Riot's facets of perceived beauty on female characters. Skin, large breasts, fiercer look, but lots of skin candy to catch interest. She was the precursor to a lot of the female champ variety talk, but if you consider her initial release she was one of their worst blunders as a lore character that failed despite hitting general eye-catching standards of beauty.

You got the rest, really. Ironstylus was the only Red I saw that when conversing mentioned Elise might have worked well as a dryder/drider and Zyra could have been more plant like. I've heard a lot of WoW comparisons lately and unfavorable comments lately, so I am too feeling the creative well spring is a bit dryer. I think it's a matter of trying to please too many. Kha'Zix was the last monster champion released, and he had very much obvious standards of power to him with human facets such as being bipedal. So I feel there is a lot of back and forth on where they think they should go. Ironstylus was just musing on Viktor again as another target on the fantasy not going as far as it could. I feel there's too much being safe going on now.

Galgus

03-29-2013

@ Muromando:

I personally value Trundle's visuals and lore most.

(Original model definitely needed a touch-up, but the voice and soul of the animations were great. They really should have kept his runty physique.)

I like his kit, but I think it could have done a better job of syncing with his lore than it did- Pillar is an awesome ability, but it just doesn't make much sense for Trundle to use.

I think the stat steal and tenacity kit theme fits his lore well, but they could have had more of a regeneration focus probably.

(Talking strictly about the kit meshing with the lore, not kit balance or game-play design.)

Muranodo

03-29-2013

That feels like a very fair and from the heart assessment. My only comment was pillar fits pretty well with the joke character side of Trundle. Combined with his tenacity, he can escape, break-up, and do annoying trollish distractions with it which fits a bit with his obtuse personality. The bit of extra filth helped in a mild touch, but I just found it great fun besides the bugs still and fitting. But I can understand his regeneration wanting to make a bit more cohesive since it's not as lore solid since that is your actual point. Although, decompose is still very fun with SV.