Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] - Twisted Fate

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solus

08-03-2009

I've been reading a lot of guides about Twisted Fate lately and they differ a lot from my own build, so I figured I'd go ahead and give you guys the rundown for what I consider one of the better Twisted Fate builds.

Twisted Fate's abilities:

Wild Cards: As has been said, this is your main spell, this is the grand spell that will have people screaming "What the fuck!?" while smashing their faces into the monitor. This has an extremely long range and with practice, can be one of the most imbalanced spells in the game.

Pick a Card: I never use this, I don't bother with it, I think it's a waste of time. If you're in attack range of a hero, you're playing Twisted Fate wrong.

Gate: I love this spell, you can teleport anywhere on the map and with Destiny active you teleport twice as fast. This in conjunction with Wild Cards is what makes Twisted Fate the powerhouse he can be.

Destiny: Global slow, not much else to say, it's got fairly short cooldown and it can save a temmate's ass or get a runner killed.

Runes:

I go all scaling ability power, capping out with 69 AP at level 18. I think anything else is a pretty massive waste, even cooldown(More on that later).

Masteries:

I personally go 9/0/21, this, to me, yields the best raw damage output for just about any caster, really. Mainly because you need to invest about 11 absolutely USELESS points in offense just to get the 5% base damage bonus at the bottom of the tree, where as utility has absolutely fantastic abilities all the way down. My specific build is this:

Offense:
3/3 Archmage's Savvy
1/x in any of the other tier 1 abilities
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Archaic Knowledge

Utility:
3/3 Perseverence
1/x in any of the other tier 1 abilities
4/4 Expanded Mind
2/2 Utility Master
3/3 Meditation
3/3 Quickness
1/1 Mystical Vision
3/3 Intelligence
1/1 Presence of the Master

Summoner Abilities: By priority

Clairvoyance: A must, this spell, as of this writing, is just far too good and with Mystical Vision you make life a living hell for Evelynn, Twitch, and Teemo to a lesser degree.

Teleport: Let the "NOOB" cries commence, but yes, I get Teleport as TF 9 times out of 10. Why? You'll see in the main body of this guide.

Flash: Good "OH SHIT!" button, but if you're playing properly this shouldn't be necessary with Clairvoyance all over the place.

The rest, to me, are negligible and a matter of preference.

Guide:

To start with, you want a Sapphire Crystal, a health potion and a mana potion. Yes, no mana regen, we're going to be rushing a Tear of the Goddess. Now, the goal isn't to get the Tear of the Goddess right away to this rush, however. You must wait until you're level 5 and have 950 gold. You'll also be wanting to go Wild Cards primary, Gate secondary(That means at level 5, you'll have level 3 wild cards and level 2 Gate), foregoing pick a card completely until you can't put your points in anything else.

Why 950 gold when the tear only costs 980(580 for us because we already have the sapphire crystal)? Because we're going to be buying two health potions and a elixir of brilliance! Then we're going to be gating to an ancient golem and going to town on him, popping the consumables and killing it! Now you're walking around with 65 ability power and near-infinite mana with 35% reduced cooldown(44% for us because of our masteries!).

As you might have guessed, that makes us substantially difficult to deal with as we will be hitting like a truck, often. The reason we wanted to kill the golem is to build up our tear of the goddess quickly while also farming quickly. This is where teleport comes in handy as you won't waste any time gating to one of the golems and then immediately teleporting back to one of the lanes.

After the above I generally get sorceror's boots and then turn my tear of the goddess into Archangel's staff. The hardest part about this is ensuring you can get a golem buff repeatedly while also shelling out 300 every 4 minutes for that brilliance elixir.

That is generally all there is to the way I play TF. After the Archangel's staff, I usually get Zhonya's Ring next or an abyssal staff if they have more than two casters or a cardmaster on their team. After that a Meiji's Soulstealer is a good choice, or another Archangel Staff. It's entirely up to you at this point.

This is my first guide, use it as you will.

rogerchew

Adjudicator

08-03-2009

no lich bane? i thought that was a near requirement for him if he's going ap build.

Solus

08-03-2009

Quote:
rogerchew:
no lich bane? i thought that was a near requirement for him if he's going ap build.

I don't generally get lich bane. It's a fun item but for my play style(Which is sit far in the back and throw cards like mad) it's wasted. CM can wipe out creep waves, damage the hell out of enemies, and limit their movement with one very spammable spell, why waste time trying to get a melee in there when you'd get gibbed instantly if you're in range of -any- champion? Some champions are glass cannons, I see CM as glass artillery.

Skywalk

Recruiter

08-05-2009

I use the same thing, also have a rune deck full AP with pure movement speed quintessence. Help alot to outrun other champions. with jump or blink abilities.

Solus

08-05-2009

With clairvoyance placed properly I find I don't need to worry about getting ganked, at worst you pop your ulti and near-insta gate somewhere on the other side of the map. Slowed + 1.5 seconds to stun you before you TP away isn't a very forgiving window of opportunity.

Threads

Adjudicator

08-05-2009

and the cardmaster was nerfed.

or was he?
will he?

yes, he will be.

Solus

08-05-2009

Quote:
Threads:
and the cardmaster was nerfed.

or was he?
will he?

yes, he will be.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the scaling on cards was reduced to 0.60:1. But Pick a Card would have to be buffed to compensate, as it really is not only buggy, but even working properly not a very good skill. From what I understand it's scaling is nonexistant, the damage is negligible and it's unreliable. Or they may simply nerf the hell out of his gate ability, maybe make the mana cost take a percentage of his current mana and make it take the mana after the spell goes off, not before.

Afterall, the biggest reason CM is so powerful is the fact that he can farm far faster than anyone else, I've seen him balance out a bit as other champions play catch up, so an actual nerf to wild cards may not be necessary at all.

Stay Crunchy

08-05-2009

Pretty sure all you had to put in this guide was "get ap, hit q"

knav

Recruiter

08-05-2009

1. spec Q skill
2. spam Q skill
3. ...
4. win

Engarde

Adjudicator

08-05-2009

Anyone know if riot has anything special planned for CM? But other than that, great guide.