Show Rengar Some Love, Riot

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Troy242621

03-23-2013

[TL;DR AT THE BOTTOM]

Introduction
I can't even begin with how many threads have called Rengar out as underpowered. Thing about it is, he's very tricky to balance because of his potent kit. As it stands in top lane, he is more or less balanced. Therefore, any straight buffs would overpower him again. If that were to happen, he'd just get re-nerfed into Oblivion. Every champion is SOMEONE'S favorite and in a perfect world deserves to be viable, especially in the position they're MEANT to fill. Rengar is supposed to jungle, but his laning is vastly superior, and even that isn't optimal.

Reasoning
Right now, he has the lowest passive health regen in-game at 4 health per 5 seconds and his sustain skill took huge hits from the nerf bat. His burst isn't extrodinarily high and he is extremely squishy. If you build him tankier, he has beyond lackluster damage. Regardless of your build, you have quite a weakness to overcome. This doesn't translate well to his jungle, where you already get less XP and gold. Needless to say, he has an even harder time in the jungle where the neutral minions kick his tail between his legs hard enough early on it'll be a challange to pull a gank off. Sure, these shortcomings could be overcome, and some people can, albeit not consistently. I won't dispute that. However, the reward just isn't worth having to be perfect early on and other junglers get better results with less risk. God help you if you slip up. I could go on about his weaknesses, but I've made my point here. His rival, Kha'Zix, is pretty much just a Rengar 2.0. Both have leaps, both have a melee burst, both have stealth, both have a ranged attack etc. but Kha'Zix is simply superior, especially in the jungle. So, why bother with the poor kitty cat when you have much more desirable options to pick from? Well, people learned pretty quickly that this is the case, and so they don't.

Solution
There is only one solution I can think of that will leave his lane balance intact but fix his pitiful jungling, and that is to give him neutral minion specific bonuses to his kit. With this, he could counter one of his gaping exploitable weaknesses, never having enough health after a clearing to go ganking, which he relies on to stay in the game. Junglers are all fairly easy to shut down by killing them early, but Rengar takes this common theme to the extreme. It is ridiculous how perfect everything has to go for him to pull it off, and even if it happens, the reward isn't that spetacular. Can it be done? Of course, some people can pull off just about anything. However, he can't stack up to his competition, and offering him jungle-specific stats encourages summoners to use him how he was originally intended without hurting their team.

Conclusion
I have come to the conclusion that his laning needs to be unaffected because that isn't his purpose, and it's already decent at it. However, this jungling problem needs to be addressed because he is just so utterly outclassed by other junglers. They can just do his job better than he can. Please reconsider what you've done to him, Riot. He's still fixable, just give him a LITTLE attention. This cat is a pretty popular champion but we can't ever take him to the jungle without gimping the team's effectiveness because we didn't pick a more effective champion.

Short Version
TL;DR: Rengar is outclassed by other junglers and giving him neutral minion specific bonuses to his kit could give his jungle what it needs to reasonably compete with his competition without overpowering his laning or ganking.

XxXDarkSideXxX

03-23-2013

I have an easy suggestion

Give the neutral monster buff to his bone tooth necklace
It will make rengars...
Buy the necklace more often

Making him a viable jungle again
Make him purchase it as a basic item instead of just against Kha'Zix

Plus rengar will have it earlier in game giving him more chance of getting trophies

Troy242621

03-24-2013

Bump

Disturbed Sanity

03-24-2013

Maybe the reward could be some form of increased health regen?

"Remember every kill"
After killing a large Neutral monster, Rengar savors the kill, increasing his health regen by X"

GeorgeyPoorgy

03-25-2013

His passive kinda sucks hard compared to kha zixs.

Troy242621

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeyPoorgy View Post
Yeah but noing is funnier than hopping on someone from a bush and gibbing them. That "Oh S**t!" Moment they get from being pounced on XD.

Troy242621

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXDarkSideXxX View Post
I have an easy suggestion

Give the neutral monster buff to his bone tooth necklace
It will make rengars...
Buy the necklace more often

Making him a viable jungle again
Make him purchase it as a basic item instead of just against Kha'Zix

Plus rengar will have it earlier in game giving him more chance of getting trophies
I'd have I check how reasonably quickly he can snag the bone tooth, and it'd become a forced buy on early Jungle Rengar. That being said, I like the idea because I could finally buy that item without feeling like I wasted money. I'll have to think about it more.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Havik223

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy242621 View Post
I'd have I check how reasonably quickly he can snag the bone tooth, and it'd become a forced buy on early Jungle Rengar. That being said, I like the idea because I could finally buy that item without feeling like I wasted money. I'll have to think about it more.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Excellent idea. Make it build out of machete, leave the total cost unchanged, but make it a viable replacement for wriggles or SS. It'd need to give him more sustain by either taking less damage or dealing a lot more. Otherwise people will have to buy a jungler item anyways. I think this could be really beneficial since you get less gold in the jungle anyways, when you have to buy BT on top of wriggles, it feels like you're wasting SO much money.

DERINTHEGREAT

03-26-2013

kha zix and rengar are equal so one would have a benefit for the other ones weakness.

Quote:

BlackOps

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2013

His passive/Ult/Bonetooth needs to reveal the target pounced on for a few seconds.