Quality of Life Changes for Gragas... Please Riot.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeathCubed

03-23-2013

So I have been playing Gragas for a while now, and I really love his kit as a champion. He has had some substantial nerfs in the past, some being necessary, while others just being overkill. I know he is occasionally picked in tournaments as an anti-aoe wombo combo ap carry, or just for his massive team displacement and attack speed debuff. However, Gragas still is a very clunky champion, and has many options for improvement. There are a few things that I have thought of to make Gragas a more viable champion in every way.

1.) Gragas' Q (Barrel Roll) is one of the slowest skill shots in the game, also making it one of the easiest to dodge. Many times during team-fights I have rolled one at the enemy team, while they keep walking forward, and by the time it ends up at its final position, the barrel is already out of reach to damage them. To fix this, it would be perfect if you could explode the barrel at ANY time during its travel path. This means that if you Q the barrel max range, and the enemy champion you are laning against walks forward in a straight line, you are still able to damage them instead of feeling completely useless.

2.) Gragas' Q (Barrel Roll) should be able to reveal a small area around it. That way you can use it as a scouting tool before face-checking a bush. If you are laning for example, and your wards have warn off, this would be a great tool to check the area around you safely.

3.) Gragas' W (Drunken Rage) is a great tool, both in the bonus attack damage provided and percent damage reduction. However, one of its greatest uses, mana regeneration, is not noticeable at all. One (Barrel Roll) at level 1 costs 80 mana, with a mana pool of 221, you can cast only 3 before running out of the needed mana to cast another. (Drunken Rage) only restores 30 mana at level 1, and 45/60/75/90 respectively. I think a fair buff for drunken rage would be to restore half the amount of mana that (Barrel Roll) costs to cast at level 1. So a level 1 (Barrel Roll) costs 80 mana to cast, while a level 1 (Drunken Rage) restores 40 mana. And after that, (Drunken Rage) should restore +20 mana at each level, instead of a measly just +15. Or if not mana, at least add another buff like CDR, because Gragas heavily relies upon cooldown reduction.

4.) Lastly I want to discuss Gragas' useless passive. (Happy Hour): Gragas takes a drink from his cask every time he uses an ability, restoring 2% of his maximum health over 4 seconds. Early game, with a health pool of 434, one ability will restore 8.68 hp, while a level 18 health pool with out any added health from items, Gragas would have a health pool of 2036, and one ability would only restore 40.27 hp. In my opinion I think this passive needs a complete rework, because even if chaining abilities, the amount of hp regenerated is so small that it is basically useless. Yes this passive has saved me in a few handful of situations vs. DoT champions, but those cases are rare. To make this passive completely workable, I think the amount of health restored needs to be buffed to 4% from 2%. This would make it such a better passive, while still being balanced.

Honorable Mentions:
-Also a slight casting and travel speed buff for the (Barrel Roll) would be much appreciated.
-Occasionally Gragas' E (Body Slam) glitches, and doesn't let you travel through walls. Just a tad bit annoying when you are trying to escape xD

Note:
I've been meaning to post for a while, but just woke up and decided to post today. Sorry for any textual errors, but I have definitely put a lot of thought in this post and what Gragas really needs, and I would love to answer any questions or argue any points. Thanks for reading, and I hope Riot really notices these requests, so that Gragas may become a very viable pick, instead of a team-oriented pick just used because of his ultimate (Explosive Cask).

Bread Crumbs

03-23-2013

I disagree.

The passive is free life which is already powerful. If Riot made the healing 4%, then if gragas uses all of his skill in rotation, he get 16% of his MAXIMUM life back which is insane, especially for a passive. Keep in mind that his passive is designed as a free bonus, not an actual healing skill designed to save him when he's about to die.

His Q is a high damage tool, and requires a lot of skill to land on an enemy. It's pretty much a guaranteed hit at close range, which is part of the reason Gragas has a dash skill. Making it easier to hit people with it will give him to much free harassing potential, a deadly combination with the free sustain from his passive and W.

The vision is not necessary because Gragas is tankey... Making his Q grant vision would grant him too much utility. Being a melee champion, he's SUPPOSED to take risks, and giving him vision so he can be "safe" does not work well with his play style.

Gragas is a high skill cap champion. These changes would really lower the skill level required to play him, and that's no fun.

DeathCubed

03-23-2013

Okay, I may have went over-board with the requests, and agree that buffing his passive would probably be OP, and that maybe increasing the cast speed of his Q would also give him to much harassing ability. However, I do think that his Q should reveal positions. Many other champions have this ability, even those who don't deserve it, such as ranged. The ability to check bushes with his (Barrel Roll) would be a slight increase in his utility, nothing major, but definitely something to make Gragas more viable.

Also, I still believe his W (Drunken Rage) needs to be buffed in someway, either giving more mana, or a CDR buff of some sort. You say that Gragas is tanky, and in fact his (Drunken Rage) allows him to take a little bit more damage than some, but he is still extremely squishy compared to bruisers and tanks.

And did you know that Gragas is one of the only melee champions that doesn't gain Magic Resist per level? Why must you hate this fat man Riot, why

The Sneak Thief

03-23-2013

As a Gragas player

I like all of your suggestions except the vision with barrel and rewroking the passive.

However a better solution to his W would be to make the next ability cost half as much mana but remove the mana restoration.

DeathCubed

03-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyJoker View Post
As a Gragas player

I like all of your suggestions except the vision with barrel and rewroking the passive.

However a better solution to his W would be to make the next ability cost half as much mana but remove the mana restoration.
The passive rework would probably be OP, you're right, and I love your idea for his W. That would be awesome. But why don't you agree with his (Barrel Roll) giving vision? Would it be that game changing?

NiceGuySean

03-23-2013

Honestly the title makes me think you wanted to give Gragas an intervention for his alcoholism

DeathCubed

03-24-2013

Gragas is best when drunk <3

Aroph

03-24-2013

I just want Riot to raise his base mana regen and base health per level. All I ask for, Riot.

DeathCubed

03-24-2013

And at least scaling Magic Resist?

DeathCubed

03-26-2013

Bump, I mean seriously, in the current meta, Gragas is so useless. How can he counter HP stacking, even with Liandry's he can't efficiently.