Question about clamping

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ploofy4

03-22-2013

Why does clamping occur? I get up to high 90s for Silver 1, duo'd with my Gold 2 buddy where I won significantly more than I lost playing again against people who were way above either of us, and a single loss dropped me down 3 wins. Why and will it ever stop?

Cavo

03-22-2013

Long answer is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLoK6rCBcF0

Short answer is that because you can't drop a tier (except for being inactive) Riot has made it so that it is very difficult to move up a tier, so that each player who wants to progress from silver 1 to gold 5 has to prove consistently that he/she belongs at that rating.

Ploofy4

03-22-2013

Eh. I don't agree with that, but I guess Riot knows what they're doing.

Doobie1

03-22-2013

Once you get to gold you can literally throw every game you so wish and never move from gold so long as you're playing. Hence making it harder to get into gold is, in all honesty, a much bigger plus. The games aren't going to waste either .. If you're winning 3 and losing 1, it helps out your MMR, which if you can keep up the win ratio through gold, will make you progress through gold much quicker when you get there. Don't focus so much on the LP as you do improving play and continuing to win the majority of your games.