Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Discussing Udyr

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gaxxe

03-22-2013

Ok so I use to play Udyr quite a lot. Now this is not a whining thread or anything I just want to analyze what this change to Udyr is about. For those of you who haven't seen it here is a link http://www.reignofgaming.net/news .

So how I usually played Udyr was either full on man mode, where I'd just 2 shot people with tiger stance, or super tank mode. I never really went phoenix unless I was jungling. Turtle stance was extremely important to my play style of Udyr though. It is quite obvious they are trying to buff Udyr's jungle and good, his jungle needs a buff. What they have not realized though is they sorta of screwed every mid laner over. Udyr now can not EVER give his blues away or he will be oom very fast. His overall jungle speed was increased by a bit. His ganks were improved (thanks to the dash mechanic in his e now). I don't think lane Udyr will be possible now though, he relied on his tiger magic damage and his turtle sustain way too much. I think that is what Riot was trying to do though, get Udyr out of top lane and back in the jungle.

Honestly Riot though, that passive change is not helping, I think it should be more around the likes of this, every time Udyr changes a stance he gains 15 (random number) mana back. This would fix Udyr's oom in the jungle problem but he wouldn't have infinite sustain in lane because he'd be required to play extremely aggressive. I personally like this change and it goes to what your trying to make Udyr. Also I'd like bear stance to go back to 4 seconds length again (keep the ms buff though ).

Welp there is my 2 cents on this situation, hope you enjoyed reading.

TL;DR: Change Udyr's passive ms to every time Udyr changes stances he gains 15 (example number) mana back (would make it so jungle Udyr isn't screwed with mana, but lane Udyr can't abuse infinite sustain anymore). Also make Bear Stance duration 4 seconds again with the ms buff.

~ Discuss

Gaxxe

03-22-2013

Bump, come on PBE users don't be shy

NJewk

03-22-2013

You don't actually need turtle to jungle. You don't ever need to spam to jungle with udyr. You should only ever go oom in ganking.

There's just a problem with your playstyle, going forward you will have to change it or accommodate some early mana items, like a glacial or maybe even a tear.

Rafael Elendil

03-22-2013

NJewk, the problem isnt late, where Udyr usually build some mana cause of many good items on him, is early. I played him on PBE jungling, even with early blue his mana goes away very quickly, and you NEED early spam to be competitive cause we lost AD on Phoenix, so if you dont time your stance changes to never allow your passive to run away, you will get an uncompetitive slow clear time.

They RAISED the mistake with the design of Bear stance. bear stance is not balanced cause it scales duo-dimensional, it increases time AND speed, making increasing it exponential. So if they balance it to be good at lv 5 it will always sucks at lv1 (lane phase where it is most needed).

They should make just one aspect of bear stance increase, along with the mana cost decrease, either a fixed 4 seconds duration with increasing movement speed, probably the better, making easier to control the time of Udyr speed buff, or make it fixed speed buff, lets say 25%, with increasing time duration.

Another thing is chaning the MS bonus from passive to %bonus. Cause at 5flat, he needs 2 stacks just to have base speed of Pantheon.

IF they really want to remove mana regen for turtle, it will force him on jungle, ok, no problem since i love Udyr jungle, but he NEEDS to be a competitive jungler, they made good changes, but he still need better care. At the moment he lost FAR more than he gained, so its a nerf even to jungler Udyr.

Gaxxe

03-22-2013

I think my play style is fine...I just have to have blue 24/7 now. I should not be forced to buy a tear on Udyr....I still like my idea about the passive might just be me though.

michelada

03-22-2013

tear on udyr it's useless, also turtle it's a must for jungle udyr , since was the way u regain mana against jungle camps, now u MUST buy an early philo stone if u want to jungle .

Gaxxe

03-22-2013

Quote:
michelada:
tear on udyr it's useless, also turtle it's a must for jungle udyr , since was the way u regain mana against jungle camps, now u MUST buy an early philo stone if u want to jungle .

Which is completely outrageous, you should NEVER have to buy that. Which is why I propose what I did.

CrazedPorcupine

03-22-2013

I actually find that I don't go OOM with Udyr in the jungle

Are you using Spirit stone or Madreds Razor? Try upgrading Machete into Spiritstone rather than Razor and you'll find that your mana problems are significantly reduced.

Timjin

03-23-2013

Quote:
CrazedPorcupine:
I actually find that I don't go OOM with Udyr in the jungle

Are you using Spirit stone or Madreds Razor? Try upgrading Machete into Spiritstone rather than Razor and you'll find that your mana problems are significantly reduced.

I agree, the spirit stone combined with mp5 masteries and glacial works wonders. Iceborne Gauntlet has fantastic synergy with Phoenix stance now as well.

Raptor Renekton

03-23-2013

The one thing I hate about new Udyr, and personally I think it is something small but so annoying that it's designed like this: with Udyr's passive and bear stance, he suffers diminishing returns on his movement speed. WHY RIOT? Even without boots, not to mention with them! Late game it's not even 15 movement (not that big of a deal anyways), it's 9 or less! Even Jayce who packs more utility than Udyr gets a whopping 40 movement speed. I'd love to see it more like gangplank passive, giving him a tiny slow or some more tankyness I get that some abilities have this issue as well, eg Rammus powerball but they're massive speed boosts to compensate and on Udyr it's two abilities! Just feels like bad design to me, do not want. At the moment there's almost no reason to try to maintain 3 stacks which kinda sucks. On a more related note, I'd love to see his speed lower and duration longer because perma-bear was one of the best parts of playing Udyr jungle.