Jax Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Charlie Mopps

11-04-2010

I've been playing jax and i'm not level 30 yet so i don't have all the rune slots open yet.

But i have been building one of my rune sheets around him. Right now i have

Red = Crit % chance

Yellow = Dodge

Blue = Crit % chance.

Right now Red and yellow are tier 2 but blue are only tier 1. So i need to upgrade them.

I'm planning on making my Quintessence runes all dodge. But i'm not sure what i want blue to do. I thought Crit was a pretty good place to go, but i'm a little worried that the glyphs could be put to better use.

So what do you guys think? I've checked out a few guides but they generally play him a little different then i do. Oh my items usually go in this sequence in case that matters.

Ninja Tabi
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Phantom Dancer
Tiamat
Emblem of Valour (i'd upgrade it if i ever had enough time to go back and do it)
Infinity Edge

In all honesty i haven't had a game last long enough to actually get an infinity edge. Usually jax is pretty op by the time he gets an Emblem of Valour.

Anyway it's kind of an expensive build but it tends to be pretty awesome late game, Used to get a black cleaver and i'm not entirely sure but maybe that might be more useful then the infinity?

Anyway back to my real question. What do you guys think about Glyph's? Any jax players that find a certain type of rune more useful?

I'm kind of leaning towards going for armour with them. I tend to get leap attack and running shoes right off the bat since jax was upgraded. But i might just go for Crit% chance like i have in there now..

I'm not really all that sure i haven't spent hours weighing the pro's/cons i was kind of hoping someone who had might be able to impart some wisdom for me

Anyway any advice will be appreciated.

wildfire393

11-04-2010

Reds should be Attackspeed, as he benefits from that more than Crit Chance (it triggers his ult more often)

Yellows and Quints should be dodge, yes.

As for Blues, your best bets are probably MR or MR/level, as these help shore up his primary weakness (burst mages). Other options would be MP regen/level and CDR, which would allow him to use his abilities more.

Demigod82

11-04-2010

I think this belongs in "Guides and Strategy." "Help and Support" means like technical support.

But uh, I would suggest Cooldown Reduction per Level runes for glyphs. It's definitely a better option than crit since those suck in glyph form (it's like 0.25% isn't it? or 0.3%?). CDR/lvl is nice because you won't be getting any CDR items with Jax but it is useful to leap more often. Also, CDR/lvl runes are a solid choice on any champion-- so it's a good investment of your IP anyway.

As a side note, I would avoid crit runes in general with Jax. They are not the worst runes possible for him, but Armor Penetration is much better. Get Armor Pen marks for sure. And as a suggestion, why don't you try getting Infinity Edge in place of Tiamat? Then you can get a defensive item such as Banshee's Veil or Guardian Angel after IE.

I'm not sure if you should bother with Emblem of Valour at all. If you really want the lifesteal, get a Bloodthirster. Also, don't ignore the possibility of an AP item on Jax. Rylai's is a beautiful thing on him. The AP helps all of your abilities, and it adds a slow to your Leap, Empower, and Relentless Assault. No one will ever escape you. And it adds 500 health on top of all that.

Anyway, there's some wisdom for ya. Coming from someone who has played Jax through all his ups and downs. 400+ games with him. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Demigod82

11-04-2010

Also, consider flat health quintessences instead of dodge. Dodge is a solid option, for sure, but the extra 100 health at level 1 is crazy good for getting first blood. I use it on almost all champions, especially melee.

Charlie Mopps

11-04-2010

Dunno if it's in the right place, checked guides but it seemed like a place to give a strat or guide, and i needed help so this seemed to make sense. But if it's in the wrong place sorry.

Ok Tiamat is a godsend since all of his attacks turn into aoe destroying the hordes of minions by lategame. So that can't go anywhere.. like ever.

I was using a bloodthirster but the **** thing cost to much. 800 for the emblem. Plus i can upgrade it to that flag thing if i ever had cash after that.. Although since i never get the infinity off anyway something cheaper is probably a better idea.

Dodge % chance helps his ult and his "e" skill so i'd imagine that's probably a solid bet.. think i'm going to stick with that but the health does sound appealing.

i'm going to look into Rylai's though. And i think i'll go with CDR. when i started playing i made all of my runes CDR.. so i started looking at the runes more with Jax and started building from the ground up, so i guess i didn't see it as an option. But the crit chance .22% i believe. on those tier 2 glyphs is horrible. Guess i'll go back to CDR but that's only like 3% is that really that helpful? Maybe MR would be better.

I looked at Rylai's yeah you got me i'll get that. How early should i work it in though? I think it should be last, lifesteal seems more important but that'd be awesome early game to.

Ok i reworked my build a little.. I think this is what i'm going to do.. but the next game will be a test to see if it can work.

Boots > Ninja Tabi
Amplifying Tome
Long Sword / or / Pickaxe
Phantom Dancer
Tiamat
Emblem of Valour
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Rylai's Crystal Sceptor

I think that should get Jax killing faster earlier but he might be lacking in power if i go longsword instead of pickaxe.

Millketh of Tank

11-13-2010

I must say these are interesting item builds and probably work well for everyone. I figured I would add my two cents into this feed. My runes are pretty basic with Dodge Seals & Quints., Attack Speed Marks, and CDR per level glyphs. I haven't reached 30 yet, but for the most part I have my runes set.

Now for my item build I will go and explain why for each item.

Ninja Tabi - Basic Jax build. If you don't use these, then reroll a different champion.

Phantom Dancers - I get these early on for a few reasons. The main reason is the dodge from them. With about 50% dodge around the time I get these makes the tides turn slightly in my favor along with the crit and attack speed.

Guinsoo's Rageblade - I make this the third item I get because around this time I hit lvl 11 and get the 10% increase with each strike. That, plus this makes the kills swing by like a batting range. I have noticed that once I get this item, that the only way the other team can defeat me is with skill. For obvious reasons of course, this weapons does wonders to any Jax build.

Hextech Gunblade - Now you are probably thinking.... Really? Hextech? Why such a weapon when you can get like Inf. Edge or something else that is OP!!!..... Well. In my opinion, this has got to be one of the greatest items I get in this build. With the Life-steal from this item, it makes taking down units really simple. As they are hacking towards you, you are just gaining your health back in the process. Empower + Leap Strike = amazing.

Trinity Force - Around the time I get this item, the game should be coming to an end. I get this item for an additional AD/AP boost along with the abilities that come with it. The Attack slow, movement speed, and everything else that comes with it makes this item a wonderful pick.

The last item I save for situational purposes. The game usually is finished by the time I get Trinity Force and push to the finish. I usually go with an Inf. Edge though, but I use Sword of the Divine just in case another Jax thinks he can manhandle me.

My item build sounds costy, yes. Give it a shot though. Once you go down the list with the items, you will see how quickly things begin to pick up with the deaths and such.

Milkshakes00

11-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millktank View Post
I must say these are interesting item builds and probably work well for everyone. I figured I would add my two cents into this feed. My runes are pretty basic with Dodge Seals & Quints., Attack Speed Marks, and CDR per level glyphs. I haven't reached 30 yet, but for the most part I have my runes set.

Now for my item build I will go and explain why for each item.

Ninja Tabi - Basic Jax build. If you don't use these, then reroll a different champion.

Phantom Dancers - I get these early on for a few reasons. The main reason is the dodge from them. With about 50% dodge around the time I get these makes the tides turn slightly in my favor along with the crit and attack speed.

Guinsoo's Rageblade - I make this the third item I get because around this time I hit lvl 11 and get the 10% increase with each strike. That, plus this makes the kills swing by like a batting range. I have noticed that once I get this item, that the only way the other team can defeat me is with skill. For obvious reasons of course, this weapons does wonders to any Jax build.

Hextech Gunblade - Now you are probably thinking.... Really? Hextech? Why such a weapon when you can get like Inf. Edge or something else that is OP!!!..... Well. In my opinion, this has got to be one of the greatest items I get in this build. With the Life-steal from this item, it makes taking down units really simple. As they are hacking towards you, you are just gaining your health back in the process. Empower + Leap Strike = amazing.

Trinity Force - Around the time I get this item, the game should be coming to an end. I get this item for an additional AD/AP boost along with the abilities that come with it. The Attack slow, movement speed, and everything else that comes with it makes this item a wonderful pick.

The last item I save for situational purposes. The game usually is finished by the time I get Trinity Force and push to the finish. I usually go with an Inf. Edge though, but I use Sword of the Divine just in case another Jax thinks he can manhandle me.

My item build sounds costy, yes. Give it a shot though. Once you go down the list with the items, you will see how quickly things begin to pick up with the deaths and such.
You get Ninja Tabi, Phantom Dancer, and Guinsoo's at before level 11? You're a god at farming/you're not playing against harassing enemies.

Millketh of Tank

11-14-2010

I have noticed a lot of people underestimate Jax. That could be from either the lack of knowledge to what he does or that they don't pay close attention to him. I harass often. I usually max out Counterattack first along with Leap Strike next. I usually don't go after until my Counterattack and Leap Strike are up. Then I jump in, stun, beat on them, then Exhaust them when they try to leave. That usually gets me a lot of my kills.