Viktor: A misunderstood, misguided Hero?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DrTemptragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2013

I'm confused; you believe that the robotic enhancements have changed his morality? Why?

Naked Malzahar

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTemptragon View Post
I'm confused; you believe that the robotic enhancements have changed his morality? Why?
Quoting from his lore:

He withdrew from the College and barricaded himself in his private laboratory, cutting all human ties. There, in secret, he conceived a project for which nobody else could claim credit. Desiring both to revolutionize his field and to eliminate the jealous human emotions which festered inside him, he engineered parts to replace and improve his own body.

When Viktor re-emerged, almost no trace of the original man remained. Not only had he supplanted the majority of his anatomy, but his personality had changed. His previous hope to better society was replaced by an obsession with what he called "the glorious evolution."

They did not change his morality. They hid it behind an impenetrable (for now, at least) block, if you may.

DrTemptragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2013

Aha, so you believe that morality is inherantly tied to emotions?

Naked Malzahar

03-28-2013

Perhaps, if viewing from a specific point. Emotions like rage, fear or pity can influence a person. If a man fears every day for his life, his goods or his relatives, he may become hostile, mistrustful. He may think that nobody can be believed, and thus nobody is good or something like that. It is indeed complicated.

Sharknado

03-28-2013

I support Viktor and his transhuman ideals.

TKDbeast

03-31-2013

Viktor is mad. He thinks it's a good idea to implement his plans for his "glorious evolution;" by force if necessary. That is what makes him an enemy.

Morec0

03-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonorableGeneral View Post
He needs a Cyberpunk counterpart, lore-wise. After all...

"Transhumanism is about how technology will eventually help us overcome the problems that have, up until now, been endemic to human nature. Cyberpunk is about how technology won't."
Stephenls of RPG.Net, on the relation between transhumanism and cyberpunk
Couldn't such a counterpart be Jayce or Vi?

HonorableGeneral

03-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morec0 View Post
Couldn't such a counterpart be Jayce or Vi?
How are either of them Cyberpunk?

Jayce is just a lesser form of Viktor - using machines to assist humanity in its development is a tenet of both champions' plans. He's a champion of Piltover, a city-state obsessed with technological advance. So while Jayce isn't necessarily trans-humanist, he does portray technology in a positive way and is, thus, not cyberpunk.

Vi, like Jayce, demonstrates a positive portrayal of advanced technology. Her metal gloves are the whole reason she was able to save the miners and thus change her life of crime for the better.

The closest we have to cyberpunk is probably Urgot, since he's the anti-thesis of Viktor. Viktor's change was voluntary and it strengthened him. Viktor wanted to transcend humanity. Urgot's change was involuntary and it leaves him in pain every waking moment of his life. Urgot denies his transcendence of humanity and simply wishes for death. His lore, when compared to Viktor's embodies the battle between cyberpunk and trans-humanism:

"Transhumanism is about how technology will eventually help us overcome the problems that have, up until now, been endemic to human nature. Cyberpunk is about how technology won't."

Morec0

03-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonorableGeneral View Post
How are either of them Cyberpunk?

Jayce is just a lesser form of Viktor - using machines to assist humanity in its development is a tenet of both champions' plans. He's a champion of Piltover, a city-state obsessed with technological advance. So while Jayce isn't necessarily trans-humanist, he does portray technology in a positive way and is, thus, not cyberpunk.

Vi, like Jayce, demonstrates a positive portrayal of advanced technology. Her metal gloves are the whole reason she was able to save the miners and thus change her life of crime for the better.

The closest we have to cyberpunk is probably Urgot, since he's the anti-thesis of Viktor. Viktor's change was voluntary and it strengthened him. Viktor wanted to transcend humanity. Urgot's change was involuntary and it leaves him in pain every waking moment of his life. Urgot denies his transcendence of humanity and simply wishes for death. His lore, when compared to Viktor's embodies the battle between cyberpunk and trans-humanism:

You'll have to forgive me, I don't understand Cyberpunk much and based my opinion really off of that quote at the end of your post, which I now see I misunderstood completely.

Of course, labeling Jayce as a "lesser" form of Viktor is a GROSS generalization; Viktor's intention is to replace flesh with mechanics to improve upon the races of the world while Jayce's is to simply improve upon mechanics themselves to help the world. While both fall under the same catagory of your "man vs. metal" notions (in this case, metal) they are both opposite sides of the same coin; Jayce representing a "seperate-but-equal" like mentallity while Viktor is an "integration"-style person.

DrTemptragon

03-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDbeast View Post
Viktor is mad. He thinks it's a good idea to implement his plans for his "glorious evolution;" by force if necessary. That is what makes him an enemy.
Prove it. It hasn't happened yet and I don't think it ever will; Viktor wants people to embrace the Glorious Evolution, not fear it or be forced into it.