Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

It Would Appear 90% of PBE Players Are...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whyumai

03-22-2013

Quote:
Wilwariniel:
Your example has nothing to do with language. The person in question understood you enough to say no to your statement. So right now, your argument is pretty invalid.

Being from another country or speaking another language = / = poor behavior. Look past the language barrier (real or imagined) and really think about it. There are other ways to communicate beyond words in our game. I know it can be frustrating, but I'd like to think most people here are intelligent, creative people that can get past that. When you do, and somebody is still being a jerk, that does not automatically mean that language or being far away is the problem. It means the person is a jerk. Report them, move on, and don't cave to stereotypes because they're easy.

I don't know how many times I have to say it, but the PBE is for everyone, guys.

Ok.

In champion select how else other than typing do you communicate?

Messenger pigeon maybe?

hotfire

03-22-2013

You're delusional if you think people wont let you mid because they can't understand you.

ArlanKels

03-22-2013

I've met plenty of people who are from European nations that do not speak English all that well, nor type it, yet are great to play with and friendly over all.

The main issue lies in the fact that people with language problems also tend to stick more in our memories as bad players.
after having played upwards of 4,000 games of League of Legends I have seen so many bad players using every bloody language imaginable that nothing surprises me anymore.

Loup Noir

03-22-2013

Quote:
Homocastle:
None english speakers. I will refernece Consuela from family guys infamous 'Es... No... No... No es no...'

Not that Im picking on hispanics, as I know russians and various asian populations are also a big part of the community. But it just gets old after a while.

For instance, as I type this, I have called mid three times, selected karma, and am about to lock. "I mid."

Oh god. There it is. The broken english.

"Um. I called it first though D:" *use smiley thing to try and be friendly*

"No. I mid."

I'd be less perturbed by this if this didn't happen every game. In fact, most of the PBE games I play only have 2-3 total english speaking players in the game.

Which is actually a real problem as those foreigners [to me, anyways,] are located far from the PBE servers... Meaning they're lagging and DCing consistently. I dont remember the last time I had a 5v5 game for more than 10 seconds. People are constantly dcing and I've no doubt it's from the combined PBE Mega server.

Does Riot plan to make any other offshoot servers as with live? I understand it's just a beta but it's a little hard to cooperate with a language barrier and consistent lag and trolling and by god, the most determined gamers I've ever seen. No matter what I beg or plead, I always lose my lane to one of my teammates who spams me in broken english about how I need mcdonalds or something something mcdonalds. Oh well.

Im not intending to come off racist. Just posting my thoughts on the inter-language problems.

Here is a thought: Learn some spanish??? The server is the "NORTH AMERICAN SERVER" as in it encompasses Canada, USA, Mexico, and several small island countries. In Canada many of them speak french, in Mexico they speak spanish. In America we speak english (mostly) but the difference between our 3 countries is that Mexicans and French-Canadians still learn english. In fact in your example the guy who you say allegedly couldn't speak english knew enough english to properly respond to your statment, if he had spoke in spanish could you do the same? This nationalist mentality of language and culture has no place in a community that spans several countries. So again I say, if you are annoyed with not being able to speak to your teammates, then learn enough spanish to say what is necessary. Otherwise, what right have you to complain??

edit: btw, Je suis Americain, mais je peux parler en Francais.... Y tambiƩn espaƱoles. Just wanted to make it clear that I am not all talk and that I can walk the walk.

edit2: or is it "talk the talk"? :P

Makishima

03-22-2013

Quote:
Homocastle:
None english speakers. I will refernece Consuela from family guys infamous 'Es... No... No... No es no...'

Not that Im picking on hispanics, as I know russians and various asian populations are also a big part of the community. But it just gets old after a while.

For instance, as I type this, I have called mid three times, selected karma, and am about to lock. "I mid."

Oh god. There it is. The broken english.

"Um. I called it first though D:" *use smiley thing to try and be friendly*

"No. I mid."

I'd be less perturbed by this if this didn't happen every game. In fact, most of the PBE games I play only have 2-3 total english speaking players in the game.

Which is actually a real problem as those foreigners [to me, anyways,] are located far from the PBE servers... Meaning they're lagging and DCing consistently. I dont remember the last time I had a 5v5 game for more than 10 seconds. People are constantly dcing and I've no doubt it's from the combined PBE Mega server.

Does Riot plan to make any other offshoot servers as with live? I understand it's just a beta but it's a little hard to cooperate with a language barrier and consistent lag and trolling and by god, the most determined gamers I've ever seen. No matter what I beg or plead, I always lose my lane to one of my teammates who spams me in broken english about how I need mcdonalds or something something mcdonalds. Oh well.

Im not intending to come off racist. Just posting my thoughts on the inter-language problems.

they play the pbe for the free stuff thats the bottom line

Alythar

03-22-2013

Quote:
Loup Noir:
Here is a thought: Learn some spanish??? The server is the "NORTH AMERICAN SERVER" as in it encompasses Canada, USA, Mexico, and several small island countries. In Canada many of them speak french, in Mexico they speak spanish.

You know, he has a point. It isn't called the American Server. Spanish and French at the very least are to be expected.

I'm not even sure you have grounds for wanting these players out on the basis of language. In your example the player clearly knew what mid meant, since they said "No I mid.". That means they probably at least understood you, but were unwilling to cooperate. You get that from all kinds of people.

On those grounds I hear you - it's always frustrating when you try to call a role and your wishes aren't respected. Still, "they didn't do what I wanted them to do" isn't grounds for reporting someone, and with good reason.

Bu Gao Xing

Master Recruiter

03-22-2013

You do understand that the PBE is not like the real game client? There is only ONE server for the whole world to test the new champions on.. so your logic is pretty sound if not a little obvious though. It is hard for many Americans to understand that most of the world doesn't speak English.

Komeiji Koishi

03-22-2013

Quote:
ArlanKels:
I've met plenty of people who are from European nations that do not speak English all that well, nor type it, yet are great to play with and friendly over all.

The main issue lies in the fact that people with language problems also tend to stick more in our memories as bad players.
after having played upwards of 4,000 games of League of Legends I have seen so many bad players using every bloody language imaginable that nothing surprises me anymore.

I lol'ed

MySpoon

03-22-2013

Quote:
Wilwariniel:
Your example has nothing to do with language. The person in question understood you enough to say no to your statement. So right now, your argument is pretty invalid.

Being from another country or speaking another language = / = poor behavior. Look past the language barrier (real or imagined) and really think about it. There are other ways to communicate beyond words in our game. I know it can be frustrating, but I'd like to think most people here are intelligent, creative people that can get past that. When you do, and somebody is still being a jerk, that does not automatically mean that language or being far away is the problem. It means the person is a jerk. Report them, move on, and don't cave to stereotypes because they're easy.

I don't know how many times I have to say it, but the PBE is for everyone, guys.

Now can you please post this on the Xenophobic GD threads that appear every now and then, please?
As a Latin player, I would surely love to have my own server to play in, but it's really stressing to come to the forums for insight or news and have to deal with posts that insult Latin players in general when a person has had a bad experience from ONE player in particular.

That being said, I know there are probably certain kind of walls preventing Riot from releasing a Latin American server, but I surely hope you guys are breaking those down and working hard in order to help everyone have less negative experiences, wether it is for having negative foreign players or not being able to communicate due to language barriers.

Mr Mystical

03-22-2013

We are the world peeps ...we need to show respect for all people. IMO this community has a lot of growing up to do -- players spit out racial slurs and offensive stuff in far to many games without any regard for how hurtful they are being to another human being. It's about RESPECT --let's try and show a lot more respect for each other regardless of where we are from or what disability we might have been born with. LoL is a community that has a lot to learn about respecting others -- not all are like this but a good majority of the players I encounter or things I see written in chats in the Tribunal are down right shameful. We all need to REPRESENT and RESPECT one another.