Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Detailed Review Of Karma

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rushuna Tendo

03-21-2013

yes, yes another karma thread but i feel it really gets what needs to be said across

Ill start off with saying that i was a avid karma player in season 1 and 2, i enjoy her kit and she is by far my favorite champion. So like most i took the initial news of her complete overhaul as most did .. upset, But Interested in what they could possibly do for her.

I have left specific numbers out of this review because numbers can easily be changed

Pros

• Increased CC
  • Increased DPS
  • Increased Range
  • Increase in Overall Team Utility

Cons
  • Decreased Survivability.
  • Decreased Burst DMG
  • Decreased pushing power
  • Decrease in "Clutch" Plays , What many people find as karmas Core play style

Lets start with Increased Range and Decreased survivability.

While a increase in range has helped her survivability, The loss of her instant self heal, extra AP while low health and reduced shield ratio. Have made her quiet an easy target in team fights considering Her root is single target and the AOE on her slow is quiet small and not very effective with out it being mantraed, Combined with the type of positioning you need (Short tether range / Minions Bruisers blocking Q) to do your combo either E-W-R-Q, R-E-W-Q , E-R-W-Q,

On the flip side the new Karma is far superior in a 1v1 /1v2 situation, While losing her instant heal hurts her in big fights her larger more efficient "HoT + Root" makes her excel in small skirmishes, as well her shield, Even with the reduced ratios it still absorbs enough when in small fights to turn the tide of a fight. Her new changes have made a very strong dueling champion as well as in small skirmishes

Conclusion: She has gained tremendous survivability in low number fights where Burst cant exceed her Shield/HoT combo , while feeling even more vulnerable in high number fights where her HoT and Shield feel to have very little effect in comparison to her previous counterpart

Increased DPS vs Decreased Burst

Her Old style of quick bursting although not as much dmg helped her in a lot of situations, It gave you the option to Flash R-E-Q combo some one before they had the chance to either flash away them selves or use any of the numerous other abilities available. While i feel this is what made karma unique in a sense due to her short quick burst also being decisively tanky, Just did not cut it in the endgame where constant dmg is required and not quick bursts of dmg.

While the new karma has a increase in damage and poke, I feel that compared to the old karma her damage is a little to slow to get out there, as well as a little to obvious of when its coming (Tethering). It has how ever increased her viability and DMG output in prolonged engages, harassing and in general her endgame. (even with her positioning requirments on her current Q)

Conclusion: There has been a huge increase in Karma's overall dps theirs no debating that fact, The way she delivers that dps has significantly changed from her old version of R-E-Q Instantaneous burst from out of nowhere , To her now a little to obvious i'm about to do a combo so prepare your self for it style. While this may have been what riot was going for to open up counter play , I feel that the burst aspect was a significant part of what karma was

Increased CC and Decreased Pushing Power

While you cant really put these two against each other side by side and compare them i will detail the pros and cons of the new and old

Old karma has a surprising amount of pushing power , From both her increased wave clear to making a cannon/melee minion near invincible when taking tower hits with her shield / R-Q Heal this applies to solo pushing as well as late game tower siege's, While some may argue this was either "Toxic or Not intended" It was not as bad as you think it opened up many options for karma players such as do i waste a mantra to heal this minion and shield him to siege this turret or will that leave me to vulnerable to ganks?, I believe the more choices a player has the more he feels like hes in control and is playing in his own unique style.

While losing a lot of her pushing power due to the loss of heal on Q as well as the reduced ratios on E, she has gained a tremendous amount of CC. These make her into a living nightmare for anything melee or anyone trying to escape.Combined with her increased overall DPS this makes her as previously stated a really good duelist/ small fights and even lets play a little more Aggressive knowing she has some sort of way to avoid a gank.

Conclusion:
This one is really a matter of opinion and what people prefer while her decrease on targeted E shield and team heal hurt her teams besieging capabilities, She compensates with her increased harass and CC abilities allowing you to catch out of position players easier, I personally prefer her old sieging capabilities due to the uniqueness of it from any other champion.

Increased Team Utility Vs Decreased "Clutchyness" (Not sure if that's even a word)

These two are very similar in nature yet vastly different in a few ways.

Currently Karma's kit is basically based around Clutch plays and turning the tide of battle in a deceitful blow. Either in the form of a R-Q Healing your teammates for a significant chunk and damaging the enemy. or R-E saving your Teammate for certain death giving him the means to turn on an enemy that has recently been clunked by your shield explosion.

In her current kit she provides just as much team support as before if not more with her slows allowing quick catch ups combined with her shield speed , Or with her new Mantra shield similar to R E and R Q of old karma just the health isn't permanent.

Conclusion: She lost her clutch plays for her new always got something to contribute to the fight , Not just when you know whats about to hit the Fan. But this is overlooked by many because of the loss of what ill call the "David vs Goliath" effect an epic save a turn around of a century type feel people get with her currently.

Rundown

Aside from a few of her current problems like positioning required to land her Q's in team fights and the range of her tether during team fights making her vulnerable. Riots made karma into what they want her to be a AP Mid/Support.

What i think most current karma players could agree with heck every one can agree with is we really just want that Battle mage that stands near/in the front lines supporting and attacking as needed with the ability to have "David vs Goliath" moments. If it takes a reduction of some of her damage to make her beefier for the front lines i'm sure most of us can live with that.

I do hope reds take the time to read this even with the repletion of some of it.
TL;DR
Read the conclusions or just the rundown

Nakage

Recruiter

03-21-2013

What I miss the most is her decreased AoE T.T But that's just me.

From all the points that people are making on Karma I find it really hard for reds to ignore them. I think there will be a few updates to help her flow a bit better.

Rushuna Tendo

03-21-2013

Yea , I feel that her current passive is hindering the amount of AOE her Q does for sake of balance which also affects wave clear and pushing power

Buboniic

Recruiter

03-21-2013

I wish she still could heal her teammates instead of just herself, i don't see whats so supportish of her if she can't heal lol, she only has her shield that can support now.

I've literally top laned with karma and won, She is strong and i love how she is more powerful but her fan healing was a huge bonus to her support role, now she can only shield and heal herself.

Rushuna Tendo

03-21-2013

Quote:
xXAmpzXx:
I wish she still could heal her teammates instead of just herself, i don't see whats so supportish of her if she can't heal lol, she only has her shield that can support now.

I've literally top laned with karma and won, She is strong and i love how she is more powerful but her fan healing was a huge bonus to her support role, now she can only shield and heal herself.

She really does feel out of place without a team heal , i had an idea of when she mantra W'ed if she targeted an ally it kind of works like a chain heal where all targets within range of the targeted person get healed for X amount which would increase or decrease based on the amount of people affected IE- Use it on caitlyn bot lane when shes alone she gets healed for 300 where if garen was also in the lane with her she would get healed for 150 and garen 150 these are just made up numbers of course

Nakage

Recruiter

03-21-2013

I'm not actually that bothered from the heal being changed, but the fact that I can't heal off of minions is kind of ridiculous. It uses up a mantra charge after all and you don't even damage the enemy champ in the process.

Her old heal wasn't really that great unless your teammates were low, or you had a lot of AP. It made her a support in the late game, which meant that if your team wasn't great, you wouldn't be either. Now that she's less team reliant, I really like that change. I do miss the insane wave clear though. It changed her flow completely. It's still there, just a lot harder to use.

Now my baiting skills on her are....... Well let's just say Karma's not really the master baiter she used to be.

Rushuna Tendo

03-21-2013

Quote:
Nakage:
Now my baiting skills on her are....... Well let's just say Karma's not really the master baiter she used to be.

Agreed

As for her heal , i see why they removed it due to the AOE shield being what is in effect her old heal but not permanent, But i really do miss it

Rampancy

03-22-2013

I just bought Karma so i could get the skin.

Shynaynay

03-22-2013

I didn't read this whole thing because I stopped at "Decreased burst damage" Karma's new Q has a total ratio of 1.5, and a base of 700+ which is more than what old Karma could do with her Q and E combined. The only way old Karma could burst harder is if you managed hit more than one person with her tether.

Rushuna Tendo

03-22-2013

Quote:
Rehabilitate:
I didn't read this whole thing because I stopped at "Decreased burst damage" Karma's new Q has a total ratio of 1.5, and a base of 700+ which is more than what old Karma could do with her Q and E combined. The only way old Karma could burst harder is if you managed hit more than one person with her tether.

While i agree she does more damage the time it takes to get that damage travel time of Q activation of second part of Q and W taking 2 seconds to do the full amount it isnt instaneous like old karmas burst like i explained above..

Quote:
There has been a huge increase in Karma's overall dps theirs no debating that fact, The way she delivers that dps has significantly changed

^ quoted from above

Quote:
Rampancy:
I just bought Karma so i could get the skin.

who didnt!