How do I build Jax?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apothem

11-03-2010

What items should I get and at what order?
What skills should I level first and which has higher priority?
What about masteries?

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2010

This should help: http://www.squidoo.com/league-of-legends-jax-guide

I follow this build and have had success with it.

darkdeal

11-04-2010

I was wondering about items. I have read many guides that say first is Guinsoo's Rageblade, then Ninja Tabi. Some go on to say Hextech Gunblade after that which seems fine. I was wondering if Lich Bane would be any good on him instead of maybe the atma's? After you jumped someone, the next hit would be huge.

Sfyri Ithikos

11-04-2010

Atma's is good on him because his attack damage and AP build into his health, which in turn build into his Atma's. So it basically cause his passive to give twice as much. Honestly though i'm not sure if his passive and AI feed into each other.

Hextech is good because it gives him a ranged slow, a DoT and increases the potency of all his attacks. Rageblade is okay because it quickly caps his AS with his ult and also improves the damage his abilities do. Though it can be afforded to go without.
As for ninja tabi, don't always jump for it. The extra dodge helps but learn when it's better to grab merc treads or berzerker's greaves instead. Also...items like the Sword of the Divine make your dodge rating worthless...dodge seals and the 4 point in the defensive tree are all you really need.

I primarily build him AD myself. While his abilities are nice, his big power comes from being able to build his attack speed and just waste enemies. Atma's is a good one to grab, as well as I.E. or bloodthirster (maybe even Triforce).

darkdeal

11-04-2010

I figure Jax will have at most 3500 HP and that will give him +70 AD from Atmas. With the ability set that Jax has, it seems that the AP that Lich Bane gives is almost comparable, but then you have the effect every 2 seconds that will add another ~200 damage. Plus it makes you move a little faster. Atma's give 18% crit, so at max attack speed, it will double your attack damage about every 2 seconds on average. The difference is that Lich Bane frontloads the damage as it is being dealt on initiating. The Atma's needs max attack speed which will take you longer into the fight to get.

Lich Bane gives 30 magic resist, Atma's gives 45 armor. Seems pretty equal there.

Apothem

11-04-2010

Is hybrid technically better than Pure AD, though? I.e. what if I just build bloodthirsters + phantom dancers?

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2010

I dont find bloodthirsters + PD stacking work well on him, I find you get more effective healing from hextech as your doing magic damage and physical combined. Most games as Jax i dont even grab a PD till late (if at all) unless the team is physical heavy as you really dont need the dodge or attack speed it gives. It also only gives u 30mres for your ult, which u can get an abyssal for and deal more dmg if u want mres.

ByHero

11-04-2010

Guys Jax is carry. So he doesnt need dmg,ap. He need hp (frozen mallet) then armor (guirdian angel), magic resistance (banshees veil, FoN) and then you have about 2800 hp more than 150 magic resistance and armor with that items, he is carry. It is you choise how will you play it, beacuse you have different enemies every game. So if you have enemy mordekaiser, you should buy as tank-jax. If you have enemy twich , you can go on dodge and dmg.

Hf&gl

Seelyon

11-04-2010

Jax's passive allows him to build damage and get tanky at the same time, you can use 1 slot for guardian or banshees, but he doesnt really need more then that.

You can also incoroporate defensive items into your build that are also offensive: frozen mallet, abyssal scepter, atma's impaler.

darkdeal

11-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothem View Post
Is hybrid technically better than Pure AD, though? I.e. what if I just build bloodthirsters + phantom dancers?
I have read in many places that hybrid build is just more cost effective. People have compared Hextech vs Bloodthirster and Hextech is better even when Bloodthrister is max stacked (which takes awhile to build up).