Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Filtering Players - "I can't play with this lag!"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MachetePanda

03-20-2013

Dear Riot,
If I hear one more person say "I can't play with this lag!" as an excuse for why they are feeding the other team... Im going to scream!

I ask them... "Lag, where are you from?"

Their Answer:

• Peru
  • Venezuela
  • Ecuador
  • Brazil
  • Mexico

WHY ARE THEY ON THE NA SERVER?!? do you know the latency between Miami and Argentian on out IPL? Its 120ms!! Thats an IPL. I've only been playing about a month, but I'm getting ready to leave. This is a worse experience than SCII which was fairly bad for matches due to that. I've havent spent a DIME on this game cause well... why risk putting money into something that you are not going to have fun on?

Your single que experience is just as low quality as Blizzard cause of this. So you might ask, "Well how do we fix it?"

My answer? Give me a filter that puts me in matches with players ONLY in NA countries. Make it an filter I can turn on and then I will only be qued into game with those players.

Two problems with the current system:
1) Language barrier: despite them coming onto NA Server where primary language is English... they seem to speak none. Or they at least dont respond when you ask them if they would like to do this or that with you

2) (More importantly)Horrible Experience: I've never cared about who I play with in a game till LoL. I seriously dread getting into the que and talkign to my team and seeing "Español?" on the screen. They are either A) Going to disconnect(it doesnt matter if you ban them... there are 100 more I'll be stuck with). B) Going to die a lot and say "Its the Lag". or C) run around like a chicken with their head cut off not responding when you tell them "Hey we are all at dragon, lets do this".

I'm so sick of this I'm actually writing HERE in your forums. I usually dont care about what companies do with their games, but when it WASTES my time when I'm join a game to have fun with other new people.. I care. Especially when it could be easily solved with a filter.

So Riot.... PLEASE add a filter to your game so when I want to play with new players... I can play worry free. Hell, it would be awesome if you could even let me filter out players that que dodge X times, or disconnect X times, and so on.
Thank you,
~MP

MachetePanda

03-20-2013

Addition: How do we make this filter?

Easy...

The person with the stricter filters is placed into their own pre-que. They get matched with other members of their filter. Additionally, if they do not have a game in X amount of time, you can ask them if they would like to drop a filter and expand their search.

If I say I do not want to play with player in SA and I dont want to play with players that have disconnected 2 times in the last week. But I wait more than a minute in que, it may ask, "Would you like to expand your search by dropping a filter?"

To be honest... in an hour long game... the extra 5 minutes I may have to wait to get a GOOD game... is worth it to me. ESPECIALLY with the 20 minute wait time before you can surrender... if they are feeding the other team and it obvious at 10 this is going no where... I want to get into another game as fast as possible. I'm here to have fun... not be a punching bag for another team.
Thanks again.

dignitas Rampant

03-20-2013

There are a few issues with this idea, and they've been repeated in the past. However, I figure it'd be good to repeat them for you. The first is that players may abuse such a queue so that they get a lower skill rating in their Ranked queues. If I was a Silver III player, but I know the average Brasilian/Argentinian/Canadian player was a worse player overall, I could filter myself with them to abuse the feature so that I would get easier opponents. Second, there is a problem with lag no matter what server they are on. The Brasilian server is no closer for the Mexican players than the ones in Santa Monica/St Louis, and for a time, the Brasilian servers were in Florida. I know, I used to play on them since my ping was better in New York to the Brasilian servers than the North American.

Finally, there is the issue of queue times. I realize you might be okay with 5 minute queues, but is that the stance of the average player? Plus, you're not the one that will be experiencing longer queue times, as it will be much longer for French/Portugeuese/Spanish/Creole speakers. It would give them motivation to join the English queue, which would put us in the situation we are in right now.

MachetePanda

03-20-2013

Quote:
Rampant Idiocy:
There are a few issues with this idea, and they've been repeated in the past. However, I figure it'd be good to repeat them for you.
Sounds good.

Quote:
Rampant Idiocy:
The first is that players may abuse such a queue so that they get a lower skill rating in their Ranked queues. If I was a Silver III player, but I know the average Brasilian/Argentinian/Canadian player was a worse player overall, I could filter myself with them to abuse the feature so that I would get easier opponents.
The first 'issue' I have with your 'issue' is that its racists or nationalist or both. Saying one group of people is better than the other is just the wrong reason to not have a filter system. You can say its 'fact' all you want, doesn’t change that it's racism/nationalism. And its ultimatly untrue. No one group of people are better than the other.

your also ignoring the rank system. Your nationality doesnt change your position on the rank... it is what it is.

Quote:
Rampant Idiocy:
Second, there is a problem with lag no matter what server they are on. The Brasilian server is no closer for the Mexican players than the ones in Santa Monica/St Louis, and for a time, the Brasilian servers were in Florida. I know, I used to play on them since my ping was better in New York to the Brasilian servers than the North American.
Ofcourse... there is always lag by definition. But when its SOOOOOO prevalent as it is in this case... there needs to be a solution to provide a better playing experience for all players. And the fact that this system is by choice(you choose to use it or not) its the best option.

Quote:
Rampant Idiocy:
Finally, there is the issue of queue times. I realize you might be okay with 5 minute queues, but is that the stance of the average player? Plus, you're not the one that will be experiencing longer queue times, as it will be much longer for French/Portugeuese/Spanish/Creole speakers. It would give them motivation to join the English queue, which would put us in the situation we are in right now.
The only people to suffer longer ques are the ones wanting to use the filter, and its a choice. They choose to wait. If your saying that EVERYONE would be using this system, then you are admitting this is a problem, and by virtue, should be solved.

Overall good questions you have. But as you can see, they can all be addressed or are inaccurate.

Kinvaras666

03-20-2013

jajajajajaj I can't post lag
jajajaj

MexGenius

03-20-2013

Mexico is part of north america, just so u know.
And Blizzard has better service, i played sc2 in colombia with 100 ping while in LoL i had 200 on the same internet connection, same went on with Diablo 3, know your **** man.

MachetePanda

03-20-2013

Quote:
MexGenius:
Mexico is part of north america, just so u know.
And Blizzard has better service, i played sc2 in colombia with 100 ping while in LoL i had 200 on the same internet connection, same went on with Diablo 3, know your **** man.
Yes Mexico is but not much you can do about that on NA servers.

Yeah Blizzard has better service and Blizz service is bad by any standard. So its really makes my point... LoL needs to kick it up a notch and a filter would help with that.

Inishi

03-21-2013

I have played from many parts of south america. Playing with 30 ms in the states is great for last hitting. But between 70 ms and 130 ms, you really don't see a difference. PLaying from honduras, venezuela, peru, ecuador and bolivia, I had between110-130 ms. And I have a 50% win ratio. So it wasn't lagging because of where I was. If people from other countries had consistent unplayable lag, I really doubt they would keep playing to reach level 30. Most likely they had other circumstances outside of their control, say thunderstorm, power outage, ISP problems. What you are is racist. You don't know about how their ms affects their gameplay, you are not branching out and doing research. Out of the small sample you asked, and answered, some players that had lag were from south america. So your solution is to find a way to not play with south americans. I have been in virginia during horrible rainstorms and we lose electricity or the isp crashes. It happens everywhere. So take a chill pill, play on, and now that latency in andean nations is about 120 ms, which is perfectly playable. If someone says "I can't play! LAG" it most likely is due to other people using the internet, or ISP problems, which happens to anyone, anywhere.

Calys Teneb

03-21-2013

So, out of curiousity, after this is fixed for you what will be your next excuse you make for yourself why you're not Challenger inside of a day? By the way, if you're not paid to play, you're wasting your time the moment you log in. It doesn't matter if you win or lose. You're playing a video game, when there are more productive uses of your time.

Now if you're paid to play, then it's a job. But you're not.

MachetePanda

04-01-2013

Quote:
Inishi:
I have played from many parts of south america. Playing with 30 ms in the states is great for last hitting. But between 70 ms and 130 ms, you really don't see a difference. PLaying from honduras, venezuela, peru, ecuador and bolivia, I had between110-130 ms. And I have a 50% win ratio. So it wasn't lagging because of where I was. If people from other countries had consistent unplayable lag, I really doubt they would keep playing to reach level 30. Most likely they had other circumstances outside of their control, say thunderstorm, power outage, ISP problems. What you are is racist. You don't know about how their ms affects their gameplay, you are not branching out and doing research. Out of the small sample you asked, and answered, some players that had lag were from south america. So your solution is to find a way to not play with south americans. I have been in virginia during horrible rainstorms and we lose electricity or the isp crashes. It happens everywhere. So take a chill pill, play on, and now that latency in andean nations is about 120 ms, which is perfectly playable. If someone says "I can't play! LAG" it most likely is due to other people using the internet, or ISP problems, which happens to anyone, anywhere.
Racist?! Dumbass comment, South America is a content not a race and Mexico, Brasil and all that are countries not races. Idiot.

Quote:
Calys Teneb:
So, out of curiousity, after this is fixed for you what will be your next excuse you make for yourself why you're not Challenger inside of a day? By the way, if you're not paid to play, you're wasting your time the moment you log in. It doesn't matter if you win or lose. You're playing a video game, when there are more productive uses of your time.

Now if you're paid to play, then it's a job. But you're not.
Read my post again. Im not complaining about losing. Im complaining about the losing team COMPLAINING about losing.

It can all be solved by having a location filter. Why should I want to play with someone that is 5,000 miles away with a ping of 266ms? I dont, it can be solved by letting have the ability to CHOOSE to filter out these countries.