Tips for Gold V?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Litchi chinensis

03-19-2013

Entered into this tier with a +27 or so wins over losses. Now I'm barely maintaining a +12 (dipped to +7 awhile back). Thankful that you can't rank down from Gold V to Silver I, so any lose at 0 LP is something to learn from.. I've been quite frustrated at this tier because it seems I'm always winning lane, losing game, or if I'm jungling, giving mediocre to good ganks, coming out of laning phase with scores like 4/1, and ending up losing the game 7/8 or something.

Now, I really want to move up, and I'm trying to figure out what's wrong. I know it's in the team fights. I want to immediately point the finger and say certain team-mates are dead weights, but I don't think that's necessarily true--the situation has a big influence on individual skill. Is there anything I can do to improve team fighting? I feel like I'm doing what I can, doing tons of pinging, getting 1-3 wards each time I B (unless I just bank out on an item), typing as fast as I can on the fly to point out objective, etc.

What else can I do as an individual player to help my team at this elo? I really want platy

Or maybe I should just play support ...

PS: been doing a lot of jungling Vi, and I notice I tend to die quite a lot during team fights. This is usually fine if the team is solid: I die tanking, team gets a good trade. I usually build brutalizer then rush warmog's, then spirit of ancient golem. Maybe randuin's might help more? Let me know your thoughts.

Also, when do you junglers typically get an oracles? I also notice I tend to almost never get oracles.

Officer Scoots

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2013

build the best items you possibly can for any foreseeable situation. this may seem a bit vague, because it is. It is really hard to keep up to date on which items are best and which ones aren't anymore. It's even harder to know which ones are best on which champion, it just take's a bit of practice and a lot of reading and theory crafting.

Azellos

03-19-2013

99% of the time, don't get oracles, it's just not as useful as it once was. I'd only reccomend it if you badly need the stealth detection, and even then a pink is more ideal.

I like to get some early damage on Vi, but i dont like brutalizer b/c upgrading to cleaver is a pain and the brutalizer itself isn't as useful as another item. If you upgrade spirit stone to red lizard, you'll get a much better deal for your first damage item. After that, get something with a giant's belt in it, and you'll be very strong mid game. After that... whatever the game requires.

Even that's flexible, it's just a very strong way of building early/midgame vi.

Kaicha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2013

Rule #1: When ahead, ward everything and force team fights.

Rule #2: When behind, ward everything and split push.

Rule #3: When close, ward everything and try to catch people to apply rule #1.

Rule #4: Never force Baron unless you have full vision and enemy has none.

Rule #5: Never #yolo dive just because you want to have fun

Jungler Solo Q golden rule: Identify the strongest lane and snowball it, over and over. Always ward for your lanes and call the mia's.

Mid Solo Q rule: Follow your lane's every movement (ward to know that) and counter gank if they move. Push if you have vision, kill if you can, roam if you are pushed.

Top Solo Q rule: Roam if you're losing the lane hard. Otherwise try to push as hard as possible while keeping vision.

Note something: Vision. Set the example by warding extensively. Tell everyone, including ADC to buy wards, and use them. Once you have vision of every bush on one side of the map it is VERY hard to lose map control unless your team is mechanically-deficient. In which case you just move on and call it a loss

TheOnlyJaces

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchi chinensis View Post
coming out of laning phase with scores like 4/1, and ending up losing the game 7/8 or something.

What else can I do as an individual player to help my team at this elo? I really want platy

Or maybe I should just play support ...
#1 : Thats exactly the 3/4 of my mid game XD
#2 : If you got to Gold without a fixed team and without direct communication (skype teamspeak), you could hit platinum pretty fast with them.

I recently started playing with friends on skype and it increased my skill and play by at least 100%. SUPER fast response to mias and objectives. Super easy to plan a gank and plan the teamfight etc... Who to focus and who to protect. Trust me, get some friend and start pwning

Azellos

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyJaces View Post
#1 : Thats exactly the 3/4 of my mid game XD
#2 : If you got to Gold without a fixed team and without direct communication (skype teamspeak), you could hit platinum pretty fast with them.

I recently started playing with friends on skype and it increased my skill and play by at least 100%. SUPER fast response to mias and objectives. Super easy to plan a gank and plan the teamfight etc... Who to focus and who to protect. Trust me, get some friend and start pwning
Can't have a fixed team in ranked solo/duo q... and while duo can help, i don't think it's really necessary, just makes your life easier.

missou

03-20-2013

Looking at your match history on lolking.

You seem to have several items and builds that you favor, and you pretty much use them for every champion you're playing. You need to put more thought into the items you're building. Cleaver and Spirit of the Ancient Golem are not always the right items...

For example on Vi, you no longer want to be rushing Brutalizer. With her base damage nerfs, the true damage from Spirit of the Lizard Elder goes a lot further than the arpen from Brutalizer. Vi should be rushing Lizard Elder, then building tanky.

Make sure not to build Spirit of the Ancient Golem and Merc Treads at the same time. The tenacity doesn't stack.

Your CS tends to fall on the low side, so make sure you keep up with the last hitting.

If you're the type of jungler that tends to start off with a good score, then gradually fall off, I can almost guarantee you're trying too hard to keep your momentum going and make big plays. Instead, realize that even if you're doing well, it's still important that you keep up with your farming, and that being too forceful with your ganks is a great way to quickly get the enemy back into the game.

If you're dying every teamfight while building as tanky as you are, you're doing something wrong. Consider that you don't always have to be goin for the deeps and diving past three turrets to give Ezreal a lovetap. Oftentimes you should just hang back and peel, or stand there between your back line and the enemy team.

Lord Puppy Fury

03-20-2013

I wouldn't rush Warmog's. It's still a good item but not as your first rush item.

Randuin's is an excellent item but jungle budgets don't lend themselves well to rushing it. However, if you're versus a team of heavy auto-attackers or the enemy ADC is starting to get out of hand, it's worth it to try and get one as soon as possible.

You can never go wrong with Aegis/Bulwark. A jungler can usually get this item built before a support. Don't underestimate the power of the aura. You can even go Aegis -> Giant's Belt -> Bulwark to optimize the balance between health and resistances. Despite the slight nerf to MR, the overall buff to this item makes it a consistently strong choice.

Spirit of the Ancient Golem is sort of a good item but also sort of not. If you're against a pure AD team it's better than Mercs. Otherwise the other two Spirit items just seem better especially since they give you the ever important CDR stat and are ridiculously gold efficient. I can't necessarily make the argument with math, but every time I build Golem because it looks good on paper the end result just feels underwhelming.

missou

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Puppy Fury View Post
I wouldn't rush Warmog's. It's still a good item but not as your first rush item.

Randuin's is an excellent item but jungle budgets don't lend themselves well to rushing it. However, if you're versus a team of heavy auto-attackers or the enemy ADC is starting to get out of hand, it's worth it to try and get one as soon as possible.

You can never go wrong with Aegis/Bulwark. A jungler can usually get this item built before a support. Don't underestimate the power of the aura. You can even go Aegis -> Giant's Belt -> Bulwark to optimize the balance between health and resistances. Despite the slight nerf to MR, the overall buff to this item makes it a consistently strong choice.

Spirit of the Ancient Golem is sort of a good item but also sort of not. If you're against a pure AD team it's better than Mercs. Otherwise the other two Spirit items just seem better especially since they give you the ever important CDR stat and are ridiculously gold efficient. I can't necessarily make the argument with math, but every time I build Golem because it looks good on paper the end result just feels underwhelming.
Spirit of the Ancient Golem is actually cost-efficient even without its butcher and tenacity passives. The health, armor, and regen it provides alone is worth 2843 gold, to its 2300 gold cost. It's just that only 1919g of that is invested in health and armor. The rest is in regen, which you tend not to notice as much come midgame or lategame when an item like Spirit of the Ancient Golem would actually be completed.

You are right that the other two spirit items seem better...even without its butcher and incinerate passives, Spirit of the Elder Lizard provides 3246g worth of stats for only 2300g.
Similarly, Spirit of the Spectral Wraiths is cost-efficient even without taking into account its three passives.