Zyra discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Malice

03-19-2013

Zyra used to be my favourite champ in LOL, she had fun mechanics, everything was a skill shot so you felt good if you landed a combo, if you died and your enemy stuck around you may be able to kill them, Sweet plants for harass. FUN!

Now I never play her because it's almost a troll pick. Tell me would you rather have a slow squishy with no escapes and easily dodged CC (Zyra) or would you rather have Taric? I'll take a Taric Every time, wouldn't you? Same question but with almost any other tanky CC support, or even lux for that matter. Zyra used to compete with those champs for a support role but now she is at the bottom of the list.

Don't get me started on playing Zyra Mid, completely unviable, note her absence from all competitive play. Basically you have no passive and even if you do manage to land it you're not killing anyone with that thing anymore. Pre-nerf I might get 1 or maybe 2 kills a game with it, post nerf I might have gotten 1 kill for 5 games played. Her plants are easily kited and dodged and the other champ can feed of them no problem. The only way she was remotely viable Mid was if you landed her Snare and then combo'd off of that. Reduce that missile speed and champs that don't have any mobility abilities can easily just left click to the right or left and dodge it then auto attack the plant get 12 gold and move on.

I've played probably 100 ranked games since I stopped using her and only seen her picked twice , once as support and she fed hard, I was jungle rammus and had to camp the bot lane and we ended up winning despite it. and once as mid on the opposing team and I went mid and rofl stomped her, it wasn't even funny, she literally never hit me with her snare.. not once. Now you might be saying "Well you must be playing vs a noob" but I LOLkinged her and she had like 30 ranked games as zyra and she was gold. The chat log was funny cause her team was all-chat flaming Zyra for feed and I just responded saying it's not her fault...

"what about her Team Fight utility?" you might be asking, and I would answer that it's still good as long as the opposite team is the aggressor, so you can throw your snare as they are moving towards you then you will almost always land it and from there you can combo them pretty easily but you will die unless one of your teammates shields you or blocks them cause your ult range is so low that you basically gotta be just outside of AA range to cast it. So it often ends up being a suicide ult combo, and that's totally ok assuming you're fed, but lets be honest only way you gonna get fed is if your lane opponent is nub and doesn't dodge or kite.

^My opinion^

What should they do to fix it? Take away damage or take away Range/Utility but not both. Her 1st nerf Took away her ult range and Plant damage and ult damage and snare damage, her second nerf took away her Passive damage, missile speed and hit radius, and took away her snare missile speed. She used to be OP I agree totally but now she's just a slow, low damage, low % skill shot, squishy. So you're forced to either build Tanky so you can survive the team fights and use ur utility to help your mates but do very little damage or you can try to build glass cannon so that you actually do some damage but then u die so fast and all they gotta do is tank up and ur dead then ur team is down one carry.

I believe balance is about being able to do one thing well but at risk of something else, Zyra unfortunately does nothing well anymore, but retains all the risk of being a low mobility squishy.

Zyra Fans what do you think?

Lord Malice

03-20-2013

lol, not one comment, i guess there are no more zyra fans...

Aringhe

03-20-2013

I think an interesting balance idea is to make her Q and E actually have a plausible use for using one over the other for plants. Q is nice and all, but E does the same except slows as well. Q should AT LEAST deal more damage.

Lord Malice

03-21-2013

Yah something needs to be done, she needs a buff but in a balanced way.

Necronater

03-21-2013

I haven't used her recently, but the last time I did, I completely agree. She does need some kind of a buff. She was my favorite, but then she just started being owned, while doing little. I remember when i was being 2-3v1d when she first came out. I usually killed 2, or one while severely injuring another. Now I can't really say that happens anymore.

Bhaklava

03-22-2013

Zyra is, since 1 month ago, my main MID champ. I had to struggle a little at the beggining, making my win/lose ratio to decrease but now that i got used to land the combo "E > R > Q > WW", I proud to say I learnt to use her. Obviously I haven't mastered her yet, but soon.

There are a few things you need to keep in mind.

1) It's easy to be countered by champions who can close the gap distance between both of you (eg Akali, Katarina, LeBlanc, Diana).

2) Is smart to play safe until you have at least two core items (usually I build Unholy Grail and Rabadon's), because in early you do 5hitty damage.

3) Zyra is not a burst dmg champ, all her spells do AoE damage and that's one of the reasons her spells are not hard enough as other MID champions's spells.

4) She's a great "counter-attacker", especially when you're being pushed in your tower. In those situations she's (in my opinion) on of the greatest initiators. The combo "E > R (double stun) > Q > WW" under your tower, almost secures a great comeback for your team. Generally in those team fights you can kill between 2-4 enemy champions and start pushing their lane.

At least those 4 advices helps me with Zyra's gameplay, i hope they help you too.

PS1: I would only improve her passive, the rest is cool for me.
PS2: Last matches with her 10/6/13 > 16/9/21 > 11/7/13 > 7/7/16 (wins) and 20/17/18 (loss).
PS3: Sorry for my english

KaramaX

03-23-2013

I really dont think she needs a buff. Most people just dont know how to quickcast with her and if u place a bud and wait for your enemy to get near it to summon a plant your not playing zyra the right way

Vinterheim

03-23-2013

I play Zyra mid and own. I never liked her as a Support anyway so if she's bottom tier supp, i'm glad.

CerealBoxOfDoom

03-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Malice View Post
lol, not one comment, i guess there are no more zyra fans...
lol, its not that she doesnt have fans, youre just kindof behind the times bro. Nobodies salty about her nerfs anymore. So uncool bro

KaramaX

03-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinterheim View Post
I play Zyra mid and own. I never liked her as a Support anyway so if she's bottom tier supp, i'm glad.
Its very easy to dominate bot lane with ap zyra support. The mistake people make is trying to make her utlity in support when shes actually a much more dangerous support with ap build which makes you able to harrass like crazy but in order to own with ap zyra support you have to be a very good zyra player to begin with.

And by havin ap zyra support you now have 2 ap carries on your team which makes the support useless lategame