Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Cheap$kate$ deserve to lose

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elsabet

03-19-2013

Why is it that most threads where people are complaining about their constant "bad teammate luck," when I view their Lolking, they have only 2 or 3 rune pages? Hmm, could it be that their lack of adaptability is contributing to their embarrassing w/l ratio?

I get that you're proud that you've "never spent a dime" on this game that you play obsessively, but honestly: doing so could potentially help your game a lot. Unfortunately additional rune pages cost a lot of IP. Unless you can't spare $20- like you gladly spend in triplicate on other games- I recommend the 7 rune page bundle.

Edit: Downvotes galore. I suppose cheap$kate$ don't like to face their cheapne$$. (Note: As discussed below, and originally clear above, this thread has nothing to do with players who cannot afford to spend money on LoL.)

Mich567

03-19-2013

Quote:
Elsabet:
Why is it that most threads where people are complaining about their constant "bad teammate luck," when I view their Lolking, they have only 2 or 3 rune pages? Hmm, could it be that their lack of adaptability is contributing to their embarrassing w/l ratio?

I get that you're proud that you've "never spent a dime" on this game that you play obsessively, but honestly: doing so could potentially help your game a lot. Unfortunately additional rune pages cost a lot of IP. Unless you can't spare $20- like you gladly spend in triplicate on other games- I recommend the 7 rune page bundle.

I literally can't use RP, and don't have enough playing team to gain significant IP for rune pages. Many people are probably like this. You can make do with 2-3 rune pages... all I really need is an extra support one. It's not absolutely necessary. You're making assumptions about something that, albeit important, isn't important as something more important (Yeah, that sounds stupid. Whatever...). Most important is to get better as a player, never rage, and always give tips when they can help.

Elsabet

03-19-2013

I agree that a lot of factors are more important than runes in achieving success. My point is that one brings failure upon oneself when one does not aim at improving in all regards. Some players cannot afford the $20, but most buy other games, which means they can. If they choose not to, they are rightfully less likely to win.

Akimasu

03-19-2013

Quote:
Elsabet:

I've never bought a game for $60. I've spent ~$400 on this game, because I really enjoy it and have made it my hobby.

Now, that being said - thinking someone should lose simply because they aren't willing/able to spend money on a video game, is just awful. You can live just fine with just 3 rune pages if you stick to your role. Hell, you can make very acceptable rune pages that go over a majority of the roles. AD/Armor/Magic Res/AD Quints could work for a lot of tops, works fine for ADCs, and is fine for jungle. ARP might be slightly better for ADCs after mid game, but hell - it works just fine.

That leaves 2 rune pages for 2 roles.

Elsabet

03-19-2013

Hmm.. but I didn't say people should lose for being unwilling/unable to spend the money. One can buy rune pages with IP instead. I was simply recommending spending the money..

My point is more that people who try to make it by with 2 or 3 rune pages out of frugality deserve to lose. Yes, any character benefits from being more durable, so technically you could have 1 runepage for every champ/role: Health/MS Quints, Armor seals, MR glyphs, Armor Marks.
The fact is that this is anything but optimal for most roles.

It follows that you can have "usable" setups that cover all of your bases, but this is putting yourself at a disadvantage in a similar way to knowing but 1 champion for each role, or having only 3 mastery pages. For instance- Darius wants AD marks, not armor pen marks. Why? Because his E gives him plenty of armor pen throughout the game. If your only 'general AD' page has armor pen instead of AD marks, your Darius is worse than he could be and it's all your fault. If you only have said 'general AD' page because you choose not to spend a little money on a game you play religiously, and your Darius does slightly worse than he could and it's the difference in the match for our team, then you lost me the game because you are cheap. I should be mad at you. And I am.

Mich567

03-19-2013

Quote:
Elsabet:
Hmm.. but I didn't say people should lose for being unwilling/unable to spend the money. One can buy rune pages with IP instead. I was simply recommending spending the money..

My point is more than people who try to make it by with 2 or 3 rune pages out of frugality deserve to lose. Yes, any character benefits from being more durable, so technically you could have 1 runepage for every champ/role: Health/MS Quints, Armor seals, MR glyphs, Armor Marks.
The fact is that this is anything but optimal for most roles.

It follows that you can have "usable" setups that cover all of your bases, but this is putting yourself at a disadvantage in a similar way to knowing but 1 champion for each role, or having only 3 mastery pages. For instance- Darius wants AD marks, not armor pen marks. Why? Because his E gives him plenty of armor pen throughout the game. If your only 'general AD' page has armor pen instead of AD marks, your Darius is worse than he could be and it's all your fault. If you only have said 'general AD' page because you choose not to spend a little money on a game you play religiously, and your Darius does slightly worse than he could and it's the difference in the match for our team, then you lost me the game because you are cheap. I should be mad at you. And I am.

You're simply "recommending" us to spend the money, and yet you're getting mad at us for not doing it? It's less than optimal, but runes won't make a HUGE difference. It could be the difference in the match, but it could not be. You chide others for playing obsessively, yet you get mad at people for this. I understand that this game is a release for a lot of people, and ship happens. Again, controlling emotions, never raging (GIVING RESPECTFUL TIPS!), and playing well will trump the effect of your rune pages in ability to help your team win. I said I don't play enough to gain a large amount of IP, and I can't buy RP. You're completely ignoring the group of people similar to or like me. I do not play this game obsessively. At my age (which I will not divulge), I can't make any money, and my parents would never spend the money on this game. Hell, they probably have no idea what I'm playing! You can't ignore a minority. Now for the (NOT OVERWHELMING, probably not that much of one) majority, this is a good idea. BUT, you don't have to act so angry and condescending. Make the tone of the thread helpful, telling them that it would be a good idea to spend your RP or IP on runes and rune pages, and waiting for sales to buy some of the champions and/or skins they want. I'm guessing you based this entire thread on a small sample of people who told you that they don't buy RP because they're cheap. It's their money, they can spend it how they like, even if it's unreasonable... Make a more general thread. It will be much more helpful to everyone, and it wouldn't spark this controversy...

Elsabet

03-19-2013

Mich, I'm not ignoring your group, I'm simply not criticizing you.
I don't assume that everyone with 1 or 2 rune pages falls into the category of people I'm frustrated by. I'm saying in this thread, "You know who you are."

Further, the tone of this thread is in response to people who cheaply use only 1 or 2 rune pages, and then complain about losing and take no responsibility for the contribution of their poor set up.

What I'm saying is that when someone makes a 'qq' thread, they should take into account their own shortcomings. They should mention their lack of rune pages, and consequent lack of adaptability/effectiveness, if they are choosing not to have them.

And I wasn't being inconsistent; I wasn't criticizing anyone for playing obsessively. I was criticizing those obsessive players who cheaply refuse to spend money on their obsession.

Mich567

03-19-2013

Quote:
Elsabet:
Mich, I'm not ignoring your group, I'm simply not criticizing you.
I don't assume that everyone with 1 or 2 rune pages falls into the category of people I'm frustrated by. I'm saying in this thread, "You know who you are."

Further, the tone of this thread is in response to people who cheaply use only 1 or 2 rune pages, and then complain about losing and take no responsibility for the contribution of their poor set up.

What I'm saying is that when someone makes a 'qq' thread, they should take into account their own shortcomings. They should mention their lack of rune pages, and consequent lack of adaptability/effectiveness, if they are choosing not to have them.

:/ You missed some of my point. People will be more obliged to follow advice if the tone you deliver it in is not a bit angry. You can't expect everyone to own up to their mistakes either. You should expect very few people to own up to mistakes. When people make "QQ" threads they are just angry, and are never obliged to admit shortcomings. That's why it's a "QQ" thread... just make a kind, considerate thread telling people that it's a very good idea to buy rune pages and runes if you can.

Elsabet

03-19-2013

Quote:
Mich567:
When people make "QQ" threads they are just angry, and are never obliged to admit shortcomings.... just make a kind, considerate thread telling people that it's a very good idea to buy rune pages and runes if you can.

Can't you see that this is a QQ thread because I'm [out]raged by these kinds of players/posts?

Anyway, my strategy should work just fine if players read it, realize it applies to them, and are rightfully embarrassed. Yes, I'm familiar with the adage about flies and vinegar, but this does not apply to every instance of potential behavior modification. How about you make that thread you described? Then we'll have all of our bases covered without me appearing to be two-faced. :-)

Elsabet

03-19-2013

Oh and I should really mention Mich,
You might want AP/lvl, Health/lvl, or Armor Seals on your "generic APc" page, since many APcs don't use mana or don't need mana regen. ;-)

Curious which page you use when you play Morde, Kat, and Mundo