Should have dodged...

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FreshFuhrer

Senior Member

03-19-2013

I played with a Talon mid who was from South America yesterday. He roamed, he got first blood, he farmed and he collaborated with our team. We won by a super landslide.
Didn't speak a lick of English and spoke with pings and smileys. Reminder that this is Silver V (which some argue is worse than Bronze I for some reason)

Chill out. I bet you wouldn't have made this post if an American had had the same problem. Blaming it on Latin America is profiling and IS racist. You don't have to call them a slur to be racist.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axiom Prime

Senior Member

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFuhrer View Post
I played with a Talon mid who was from South America yesterday. He roamed, he got first blood, he farmed and he collaborated with our team. We won by a super landslide.
Didn't speak a lick of English and spoke with pings and smileys. Reminder that this is Silver V (which some argue is worse than Bronze I for some reason)

Chill out. I bet you wouldn't have made this post if an American had had the same problem. Blaming it on Latin America is profiling and IS racist. You don't have to call them a slur to be racist.

Actually I probably still would have, as though the Hispanic part was there, my major complaint was the 0 ranked wins and being placed as first pick.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elsabet

Senior Member

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom Prime View Post
my major complaint was the 0 ranked wins and being placed as first pick.
If you want to be a higher pick than someone, have a higher rating than he has. If he has a neutral rating because he's never played ranked, he has proven himself to be more trustworthy than someone who has a sub-neutral rating. More accurately, you've proven yourself to be statistically worse than someone with no experience.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FreshFuhrer

Senior Member

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom Prime View Post
Actually I probably still would have, as though the Hispanic part was there, my major complaint was the 0 ranked wins and being placed as first pick.
Then I'm not sure what the problem is, pick order doesn't win games. He has the same or similar skill as you in normals, otherwise he wouldn't have been placed with you, despite it being his first game (or one after multiple losses). If it was just a grab bag then there would be steamrolls for every placement matches.

Moving on, pick order isn't the problem; it's the fact that he wasn't able to play, which you allude to his being hispanic. He would've picked the same hero if he was second, third ...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Airalia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

03-19-2013

I'll admit, I don't like playing with people who don't/can't/won't speak the same language. There's a reason I"m on the "North American" servers. I like the people and the language here. I don't think it's racist to expect people who play in a North American server to be able to communicate with the predominantly English speaking community that resides within.

Playing with a crappy machine in ranked games when you know you're gimped is just grieving and trolling. If your computer can barely play the game, then why gimp other players? I think this gripe is justified. The way he said it may have been a little blunt, but I don't think it's misplaced. I have been in games where I have politely asked players speaking another language to please speak english so I can understand. Granted "pings" are a universal language... but when you troll ping AND refuse to communicate... this is also a report-able offense. Is it racist to make the claim that people who refuse/can't/won't communicate generally led to losses? Is it then racists to notice that people who don't speak the same language are primarily guilty of a lack of communication with the rest of their English speaking team-mates? Is it then not a logical conclusion that those that don't speak English typically lead to bad communication and losses? I don't think it's racist at all. It's bad communication... which is why we have different servers.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mich567

Senior Member

03-19-2013

There are good AND bad Latin American Players who can't communicate, just like there are good AND bad NA players that can't communicate. There may be more LA players like that, but that's not important. He probably didn't know that his computer was gonna run that slow, and talking about this on the forums will accomplish literally nothing except sparking an argument. There are lots of arguments on these forums that are continually being repeated, which will do absolutely nothing to actually help people. Just keep on playing, and keep in mind to always get better, never rage, and be the best teammate and best player you can be.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axiom Prime

Senior Member

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airalia View Post
I'll admit, I don't like playing with people who don't/can't/won't speak the same language. There's a reason I"m on the "North American" servers. I like the people and the language here. I don't think it's racist to expect people who play in a North American server to be able to communicate with the predominantly English speaking community that resides within.

Playing with a crappy machine in ranked games when you know you're gimped is just grieving and trolling. If your computer can barely play the game, then why gimp other players? I think this gripe is justified. The way he said it may have been a little blunt, but I don't think it's misplaced. I have been in games where I have politely asked players speaking another language to please speak english so I can understand. Granted "pings" are a universal language... but when you troll ping AND refuse to communicate... this is also a report-able offense. Is it racist to make the claim that people who refuse/can't/won't communicate generally led to losses? Is it then racists to notice that people who don't speak the same language are primarily guilty of a lack of communication with the rest of their English speaking team-mates? Is it then not a logical conclusion that those that don't speak English typically lead to bad communication and losses? I don't think it's racist at all. It's bad communication... which is why we have different servers.

this guy gets it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elsabet

Senior Member

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom Prime View Post
this guy gets it.
Two wrongs = right (amirite?)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axiom Prime

Senior Member

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabet View Post
Two wrongs = right (amirite?)

And you're a sympathizer that will say nothing but "This is racist", doesn't make your opinion anymore fact than mine.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elsabet

Senior Member

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom Prime View Post
And you're a sympathizer that will say nothing but "This is racist", doesn't make your opinion anymore fact than mine.
Well I said a lot more than that. In fact, I laid out your argument when you couldn't even recognize its flaws. So.. you're welcome on that.

As for contributing to this thread, it's hard to think of how to productively respond to a generalization besides by warning the OP that he is generalizing and therefore necessarily wrong...

If it makes you happy, I'll say, "Yes; it's annoying when teammates have bad connections," but you're not going to like that I qualify that with:
1) "Opponents are more likely than teammates to have bad connections since my connection is good and I have 5 opponents and only 4 teammates. Therefore this cannot be the source of my losses over a significant number of games."
2) "OP's characterization of Spanish-speakers as being untrustworthy is baseless and therefore mistaken."


123