New system for Calling positions on Sum. Rift

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Divine hands

03-19-2013

--

I really wanted to suggest the creation of a system to call a position for top, jungler, bot, support, mid, and even specification of the intention of being a tank, bruiser or ad dps and ap dps(as in some might know, the dungeon finder system in WoW has something like that) at Summoner's Rift.

I suggest this mainly because many in-team fights start already at the choose your char screen. In the current system it's just chat-based (if there is a calling system at all).

Someone just says for example "mid" as quick as they can while other person does the same, and then the main problem here is that due to connections, ping, lag or whatever it sometimes appears to both users who called that they did so first.

So then they both may autolock, or go mid at the same time, resulting in a solo bot with a hopeless adc against a blitz and another adc, or just one of the mids going afk, without mentioning the insults and the REPORT THIS NOOB OMFGZ ETC before the game even starts.

With a button to call for positions and at the same time make your team get an idea of what you're going to build (sometimes a tank goes ap, or a fighter goes bruiser or pure damage) the teams might be balanced especially in solo queue and the game could get better, just as I'm sure it did with the new Ping System. (I gotta give 10 points for that one, as for example typing mia every 5 seconds vs. an evelynn mid, a kat or an akali, typical gankers, was really annoying and made you lose last hits)

Images are faster than words, so if I see someone else called mid by looking at some icon that got activated when he pressed the mid and ad dps button (like Talon mid for example) then I might go with an ap jungle like Fiddlesticks, for example, and save a lot of time in the limited time of the choose your char screen. This specification of what you'll build applies too to champions like Master Yi who can be built as ap or ad.

Last but not least, This calling system should be respected and be proof for the tribunal to bust people who troll the games, as for example it is with people who just want mid or top so bad that they just auto lock even ages after the first one called the position. Also, as sometimes one just wants to play in one position and not another and that's respectable, a Dodge button should be implemented as well.

--

As there might be better options and suggestions, I'd just love to see a good way to call for positions and communicate with your team before the game starts.

Thank you for your attention!

--

Dotayy

03-19-2013

By giving those buttons, you are making the game specific to Top, Jungle, Mid, Support, ADC. As much as 95% of ranked games have that format, its not necessary to have that to win the game.

Kill bot lanes are very popular.
Another one that worked really well was 2 mids, adc solo top, Yorick bot (he can easily handle adc+supp+jungler) turns out, we made them surrender.

Also, this would create the same issue. I believe riot already has it in the summoner code that Pick order is the only thing that matters. Many summoners including myself already respect calls. But you stll cant fight the pick order because riot wont punish someone for having a slow connection and getting in the chat late and picking the role (which is basically the same thing and i know you mentioned that in your post)

Also, this is a team game. You have to talk to your team and figure out whats best for the team, thats why its Pick order. If you are not flexible, you may do good individually but your team will stil lose. And you lose more elo if you do amazing and still lose than you do if you do ****ty.

CerealBoxOfDoom

03-19-2013

So if I cant click as fast for whatever reason I cant ever play mid again? Oh well

Victor Marte

03-19-2013

Meta sucks.

Divine hands

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotayy View Post
By giving those buttons, you are making the game specific to Top, Jungle, Mid, Support, ADC. As much as 95% of ranked games have that format, its not necessary to have that to win the game.

Kill bot lanes are very popular.
Another one that worked really well was 2 mids, adc solo top, Yorick bot (he can easily handle adc+supp+jungler) turns out, we made them surrender.

Also, this would create the same issue. I believe riot already has it in the summoner code that Pick order is the only thing that matters. Many summoners including myself already respect calls. But you stll cant fight the pick order because riot wont punish someone for having a slow connection and getting in the chat late and picking the role (which is basically the same thing and i know you mentioned that in your post)

Also, this is a team game. You have to talk to your team and figure out whats best for the team, thats why its Pick order. If you are not flexible, you may do good individually but your team will stil lose. And you lose more elo if you do amazing and still lose than you do if you do ****ty.
As I agree with what you say, these buttons might still break the meta, in which case I'd press bot and then press tank or bruiser if I'm gonna solo it, or top and adc if i'm going for the example you said.

As for the two mids, I'm guessing the buttons might be pressed more than once, in which case the order of pressing might still appear, in case there is a fight over mid or other position.

While I agree that this is a team game and we should communicate, this applies better for pre-made teams or ranked teams, as with the solo queue you find people raging even before games start because of their last game, I think it's not a secret for no one that many people bring a lot of hate that makes difficult to communicate.

What I suggest here it's a new system to communicate through images, in which the example I gave with buttons was just to get the idea that images and sounds are faster than words, and there is not a lot of time to talk before the game starts.

Also, these options would not lock the position through a wall of fire, making the one who pressed it first the supreme mid or top or whatever, it would be just as in some other games (Like WoW dungeon finder) where you press the buttons to communicate with others to specify what you're gonna play. Still you would be able to go nuts with the choices and go with a team full of adcs, tanks, mids, or junglers all with smite. All cases I've seen and breaking the meta is actually fun.

RYP Jericho

03-19-2013

Everyone seems to think the Summoner's Code specifies Pick order > Call order, when this isn't the case at all. It says someone should fill a needed role, but that doesn't mean it has to be 5th pick who does so.

I'm a firm believer in Pick Order, but that doesn't mean we can't communicate and be adults. If I have first pick I'll take top everytime. But if 3rd pick really wants top and is more comfortable there than wherever they'd get shoe-horned in than I'll concede it sometimes. Giving the team the best chance to win is what matters. Basically I look at it as the team should come to a consensus, but if they can't than Pick Order gets it.

I'm super sick of 5th picks calling a role, not getting it and saying they aren't able to play any other role. People shouldn't be in Ranked and still only be able to play one role.

Keitterman

03-19-2013

Well the problem with this is that it just formalizes the loos system the players are already using.

To really solve this problem, you need people to pick the roles they are willing to play before even starting the queue, so that people get matched together as five people who are willing to play the roles that will make them a viable team.

This worked in WoW because they build their dungeonsto accomodate a specific team comp (1 tank, 1 heal, 3 dps)

Riot has not, and probably will not, agree to the current player driven meta. This is evident in the fact that they try to make champions that fit non-exisitent roles in the meta.... and then re-work them, but whatever...

Anyway, until Riot agrees that the standard team comp should be top,jungle,mid,bot,support (like their T-shirts say), you can't really pre-designate positions on the team.

Keitterman

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho Hombre View Post
Everyone seems to think the Summoner's Code specifies Pick order > Call order, when this isn't the case at all. It says someone should fill a needed role, but that doesn't mean it has to be 5th pick who does so.

I'm a firm believer in Pick Order, but that doesn't mean we can't communicate and be adults. If I have first pick I'll take top everytime. But if 3rd pick really wants top and is more comfortable there than wherever they'd get shoe-horned in than I'll concede it sometimes. Giving the team the best chance to win is what matters. Basically I look at it as the team should come to a consensus, but if they can't than Pick Order gets it.

I'm super sick of 5th picks calling a role, not getting it and saying they aren't able to play any other role. People shouldn't be in Ranked and still only be able to play one role.
This is all true, but just an observation: If you're first pick you probably want to fill the role that is the hardest to counter, like jungler (unless you're already counterpicking their first pick). If you aren't playing the best role for your team to pick first, good communication so you can swap champs with the person who is, that's a good idea too... knowing that, the amount of times I've gotten that to work isn't a lot.

Suture

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2013

I disagree with your final point. There are always extenuating circumstances and there are always players trying to buck the game meta. That's buck, with a b.

I feel that any in-game function for role calling should be optional to use, much like the honor system. (Although it would be considered polite)