How to beat akali?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

flduckhunter73

03-19-2013

I have been midding for a while now and have gotten pretty good at it, to the point where I am confident in being able to win my lane consistently vs any champ with one exception, akali....

I ususally zone her hard pre-6 as expected but once she hits 6 and builds up 3 stacks of her ult I can't seem to beat her.

I usually wind up just having to sit under my turret and farm from a distance with whatever champ I am playing. I don't feed her kills, but I can't seem to beat her.

95% of the akalis I play aren't even good, I will win the lane just by baiting them to turret dive me and then bursting them down. A good one however is a problem... The delay on invis when leaving her shroud is just so strong that I can't seem to finish a kill without either a)spending a lot of gold on vision wards or oracles elixir. b) following her into her shroud to get in position for a chase, which can turn around to get me killed c) running away scott free and using the insane life regen she gets from farming wraiths or other group of creeps.

It makes it so trading with her typically results in me winning the trade her limping away low on life after some shroud magic her spell vamping up to full and then me being the one at a disadvantage/having to camp the turret or recall.

I know her shroud is getting a much needed nerf soon but I haven't quite found someone who craps on akali yet other than picking jax or some other bruiser and just bullying her with a health pool. This wins the lane but screws the team from not having an AP champ in team fights.

I am in bronze league and I am trying to carry teams so I can't just passive farm and wait until team fighting. I need a strategy that allows me to dominate her in lane and then roam early so I can carry. Please help!

PopsickIe

03-19-2013

Diana, in fact, craps on Akali. Diana's mechanics make it hard for Akali to burst you down and you should be able to make her not even want to come near you. Diana is good at roaming too. There is also Lee Sin if you're having trouble with the shroud.... just press e twice.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2013

Akali is tough in Bronze, because if you don't feed her other lanes can.

It really depends on who you play, frankly if you KNOW you're going against an Akali times become much easier. Pick someone you play with an AOE Skillshot for her shroud, and CC for when she jumps to you.

Also, I have a Rune Page for specific AP burst champs mid, where Its MR Blues/Quints/Yellows with Magic Pen reds. I'll grab Teleport and a Doran's Ring. This allows me to zone them hard, and if they do get me down I can teleport back to lane after that first back without any sustain items taken, and I'll take another Doran's Ring. If she's good, this may be the rare case I take a third ring to keep her from poppin' me good.

The key is denying her any farm so when she hits 6 she cannot simply just burst you down. I normally grab 2 Doran's Rings, and with the MR from your masteries she won't do but maybe half of your life in damage.

Yes, you will be doing less damage but once she pops her burst out she's done for quite a while. You can easily harras her out of lane or if she's bad pick up a kill. Once she goes back, you probably have a teleport up, base and buy and gank bottom or top lane with your teleport to a ward in the bush. Then head back to lane.

Honestly, if I'm against an Akali I'll probably buy something with HP, such as a Rylai's or RoD of Ages depending on who you are playing, first to amplify that MR You did take. Remember: You might not do a lot of damage building somewhat defensively early, but you do no damage when you're dead.

The good thing about APC is they scale very well off of levels and AP Isn't NEEDED to do damage until mid game.

I know Akali stinks to play against if you aren't ready, but if you have the right page set up generally you can beat her with any champion as she really gets hit hard when you have MR to stop her insane burst.

flduckhunter73

03-19-2013

My preferred champ is kennen. I usually beat her very hard but she just escapes and spell vamps to full. I will try stacking some HP and MR and see how it goes but somehow I think that will inhibit my ability to carry my team late game with a monster kennen ult. I will try out diana though, does crescent strike reveal her through her shroud?

Separated

03-19-2013

I am still a newbie.. but from what I heard from players who are pretty high in ranking... Akali is a champion who does good damage but at the same time cant take any damage. I think if she goes invisible, you can counter her by placing a vision ward or an oracle if you know for sure you won't die.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by flduckhunter73 View Post
My preferred champ is kennen. I usually beat her very hard but she just escapes and spell vamps to full. I will try stacking some HP and MR and see how it goes but somehow I think that will inhibit my ability to carry my team late game with a monster kennen ult. I will try out diana though, does crescent strike reveal her through her shroud?

Vision wards is the best way to reveal akali. Having Magic Resist Runes will not effect your ability late game. If Kennen is your go to champ, my Doran's Rings probably aren't as good of a choice.

Since you're Kennen I would probably start with an Amplifying Tome and make damn sure by the time you're six you have a a Negatron cloak, and then grab a Hextech. With the Negatron and MR Runes you should be able to poop on Akali.

I'd just hang onto the Negatron cloak until later in the game unless she's wrecking you. Later you can turn it into a Abyssal Scepter or if you're in need of a little more defense you could get a Spirit Visage and it would also help your spellvamp do more.

As with most burst champions, if you can survive their initial burst they are sitting ducks for quite a while. If you come to lane with a pink ward and live Akali's burst, chances are she's a dead duck.

Curious, what Runes/masteries do you run now? My AP Defensive page is 21/9 with health and MR Maxed out.

niffuM dutS

03-20-2013

Harrass with auto attacks if your a ranged mage. once she gets her burst and spell vamp will probably make killing her impossible without jungle ganks. by then if your good you shouldn't have too much trouble staying alive, but if you do, just buy a negatron cloak. remember CALL your mia's

AlexanderXI

03-20-2013

Have Trundle come in and throw a pillar of filth in her shroud... and if Cho is on your team too, then have have him stomp and silence her. It^s hilarious if you block her before she can get to her shroud.

Mourrirdeux

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by flduckhunter73 View Post
I have been midding for a while now and have gotten pretty good at it, to the point where I am confident in being able to win my lane consistently vs any champ with one exception, akali....

I ususally zone her hard pre-6 as expected but once she hits 6 and builds up 3 stacks of her ult I can't seem to beat her.

I usually wind up just having to sit under my turret and farm from a distance with whatever champ I am playing. I don't feed her kills, but I can't seem to beat her.

95% of the akalis I play aren't even good, I will win the lane just by baiting them to turret dive me and then bursting them down. A good one however is a problem... The delay on invis when leaving her shroud is just so strong that I can't seem to finish a kill without either a)spending a lot of gold on vision wards or oracles elixir. b) following her into her shroud to get in position for a chase, which can turn around to get me killed c) running away scott free and using the insane life regen she gets from farming wraiths or other group of creeps.

It makes it so trading with her typically results in me winning the trade her limping away low on life after some shroud magic her spell vamping up to full and then me being the one at a disadvantage/having to camp the turret or recall.

I know her shroud is getting a much needed nerf soon but I haven't quite found someone who craps on akali yet other than picking jax or some other bruiser and just bullying her with a health pool. This wins the lane but screws the team from not having an AP champ in team fights.

I am in bronze league and I am trying to carry teams so I can't just passive farm and wait until team fighting. I need a strategy that allows me to dominate her in lane and then roam early so I can carry. Please help!
Well, I don't see the problem with getting vision wards unless you've killed her so many times that her value goes <125g. In which case, I don't think you have too much of a problem. As for her hiding in her shroud, you may want to try somebody that can hit her without needing vision such as gragas or morgana and yeah, it's a team game and one person can't always carry an entire team that isn't that great. But keep trying!

Míley Dyrus

03-21-2013

Ryze, J4, and Morde all outtrade her really hard. Get an early Banshee Veil and a pink and she can't touch you.