LCS Competition Ruling: Denial of Service Attacks Hexo

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BillyTheAttorney

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmonok View Post
DDoS attacks are illegal and fall directly under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. If the individual is found guilty by a court of law the minimum sentence is 30 days in jail.

If Riot did indeed catch him DDoSing then they are legally required to inform the users ISP and the authorities. Failure to do so is a violation of the USA PATRIOT Act. Violation of the USA PATRIOT Act by companies can lead up to $500,000 fines and possible jail time.

Good job on giving him his warning Riot. You are now a criminal.
CFAA applies almost exclusively to government computers with a "federal interest."

Robert could be entitled to a civil complaint against Riot and Hexo, but you'd be hard pressed to make a criminal case out of it.

Corey Tud

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmonok View Post
DDoS attacks are illegal and fall directly under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. If the individual is found guilty by a court of law the minimum sentence is 30 days in jail.

If Riot did indeed catch him DDoSing then they are legally required to inform the users ISP and the authorities. Failure to do so is a violation of the USA PATRIOT Act. Violation of the USA PATRIOT Act by companies can lead up to $500,000 fines and possible jail time.

Good job on giving him his warning Riot. You are now a criminal.
GJ George Bush. Patriot Act saves the day

Excited Guy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbxo View Post
its funny because he was probably trolling and somebody on the stream ddosd him. Pretty obvious the **** he typed in game did nothing and he would have to have his skype or ip to do anything.
I believe that's why he didnt get punished harshly, there's an "What IF" and they have no way to 100% prove it was him, no matter how obvious it was.

Asmonok

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawlerBrawler View Post
They even said that their evidence is circumstantial.
Circumstantial evidence leads to investigations where actual evidence is found or not found.

When a crime takes place it is reported to the authorities whether you "knew" who did it or not. Having an idea of who might be guilty aids law enforcement with there investigation on said crime. Not knowing exactly who commited the crime does not mean you dont report it. However in this particular instance not even reporting said crime is infact a crime itself. Thats all I was getting at as I personally find it amusing. I am in no way saying Riot has to report it nor am I saying Riot should be reported.

Hypocrisy

03-18-2013

In most cases you have less evidence for people who are ELO boosting, yet they receive harsher penalties. Not only is this potentially the worst thing you can do to another Summoner in-game, it's also illegal (at least within the United States).

I understand you don't have "hard" evidence, but if you are able to use your discretion to issue him a warning, you should have no problem taking further action and banning him.

Forget the fact that he is a professional LoL esports player, he also MANAGES an entire team of pro LoL players. That doesn't seem right.

notanxj9smurf

03-18-2013

i like how the screenshots have all the names censored but you link us to a video that contains the uncensored name

also, why would you give a warning to someone who clearly did this purposely and in full knowledge of it's repercussions?

why is that coach even allowed to coach?

Judgesin

03-18-2013

why didnt u just ban him?

Knotee

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Bread View Post
In most cases you have less evidence for people who are ELO boosting, yet they receive harsher penalties. Not only is this potentially the worst thing you can do to another Summoner in-game, it's also illegal (at least within the United States).

I understand you don't have "hard" evidence, but if you are able to use your discretion to issue him a warning, you should have no problem taking further action and banning him.

Forget the fact that he is a professional LoL esports player, he also MANAGES an entire team of pro LoL players. That doesn't seem right.
+1 He had to cheat to try to win. Coach is definitely just another one of his titles he switches with local dumb@ss who can't win.

Enjuine

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2013

Just a warning? That sounds really...lenient. This is nothing like the "maybe accidentally looked at the screen" that occurred in whatever tournament. This is going way out of your way to cheat in a very huge manner. I'd say that merits more than just a warning.

SupremeBeam

03-18-2013

I am friends with hexo, too funny man...