Vi Jungle build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shinigami187

03-18-2013

So i just bought Vi and wanted to more know or less how to build her as well for masteries, runes etc. Any help is appreciated.

KakeManz

03-18-2013

All depends how you want to play her, you don't even have to do jungle if you don't want. Generally this is how I go;
9/21/0 masteries, taking reduced damage from minions.
something like armor seals, mr glyphs, ad marks, lifesteal quints (experimenting)
I start with boots, longsword, 2 pots.

First thing you ask yourself, is; is your team likely to go in for a lvl1 fight? If so, take q to help secure kills. If not, take w or e to straight jungle.
Start with wolves since it's the easiest place for the enemy to gank and they're less likely to do it right away. Then go wraiths, and golems (Vi is one of the few that doesn't suffer that much from doing golems early) By that point your altar should be close to coming up, so take it.
If you were forced to take q at level 1, don't go into the jungle right away. If you do it'll be so slow and you'll fall behind. So just go lane til level 2 or 3 when you have the skills that let you clear the jungle quick.

Generally my build goes like this(I go for high damage opposed to bulk)
Boots + sword > lantern(helps with clearing fast/sustain, and puts a stop to pesky stealth champs and 3 man ambushes in the brush) > Phage > Sheen + Brutalizer(you decide which is more important) > Finish the appropriate boots for the situation > Triforce

After that is where you start making your own decisions, you may choose to upgrade your brutalizer right away if they're stacking armour, or go for something like maw of malmortius(I definitely spelled it wrong lmao) if you need the resist. And once you've completed your build, you might as well finish off your lantern. Of course if the enemy team isn't one to hide in brushes or use stealth champs you can always pawn it off for a bloodthirster or blade of ruined king, whichever fits the situation better.

Also another option you have is trading in some of that triforce damage for some bulk and a consistent slow on a frozen mallet. Reason I normally don't do this is because getting the triforce gives you a lot more burst, and if you kill them before they have time to run who needs slow?(there's also the whole thing that you have 2 gap closers that will stop your opponent, one of which will seek your opponent no matter what, so nobody should ever get away unless they have 18 flashes.)
Also unless you get ignited and focused you can generally keep yourself alive through your passive and lifesteal without the need for extra health. But frozen mallet is totally viable and is generally a safe pick if you're still getting used to Vi.

Now with all that I can also say without a doubt, that even though I love doing high damage and carrying HARD with Vi, being pure tank is not out of the question. If your team already has tons of damage but lacks bulk you can build pure tank and still dish out a fair amount of damage. What's the build for that you may ask? Health. Tons and tons of health. Frozen mallet, Warden's mail, sunfire cape, randuins, banshees veil(unfortunately there are no high health mr items )
Also throw in a cleaver for the hell of it(since it gives health too LOL)
Reason for high health stacking? Well, other than the obvious benefits that it's just plain scary to see a 4.5k health monster homing in on you, your passive scales with health. 10% of your health turns into a shield every 8 seconds at max level. Just let that sink in. So not only will you be really bulky to begin with, but every 8 seconds you can easily achieve a 400 health shield. You'll find that people will often underestimate the power of this shield.

Someone thinks they're safe under a tower because you only have 300 health left? Well all of a sudden you have 700 health and they're screwed. A teamfight is finishing up, you and one enemy are the only ones left, he's at 400, you're at 200, clearly he has the advantage right? Not if you hit him first with one of your abilities.

Also to add to the fun with the shield, it procs when you hit an ability right? E is an ability you use to buff an autoattack, which like most of them, works on towers. Put it together. Go tank a tower.
BUT WAIT, there's more! Let's go back to my offensive build. So, you've got a decent attack stat going on, that's cool. E buffs your attack and can be used on towers for more damage, well that's pretty cool to. Now if you stuck to the build and grabbed yourself a triforce, you have a sheen proc that works on towers too. Not to mention, even if you don't build pure tank, it's pretty easy to hit 3k hp. So put this all together here; Good AD + E autoattack buff + Sheen proc + 300 health shield + q giving a great escape mechanism = BACKDOOR EVERYTHING. It's very possible to take out 1/3-1/2 of a tower without even touching your hp when backdooring, then q(+flash if you need) to get the hell out of there as you laugh your way back to your base as the entire enemy team chases you.

And that reminds me of something else I see a lot of Vi players and people I play against forget. Q + Flash. You can flash as your q is charging, so if the enemy somehow gets out of your range as you're charging up, thinks he's in the clear, all you gotta do is flash, unleash your q, and commence the beating.

So yeah, this got bigger than I planned but I hope it helps. Practice up, the skill in Vi comes from knowing when to Q an enemy or when to save it so you can escape danger. But before you get that down, make sure you can actually hit your Q's.

Shinigami187

03-19-2013

Thanks for taking the time to write all that. I know it must have been a pain in the ass to do lol. Will try this out and hopefully i can get good with her and start carrying . Once again many thanks

Nexusrage

03-19-2013

Vi can be 21/9 or 9/21 depending on your teams needs; More Damage or More Tank?

I suggest AD Reds and Quints, her scaling with E is simply too good to do anything else

Flat MR blues, Flat Armor Yellows

start boots, long sword, 2 pots

always level E first, whether you invade or jungle, too much damage!

Max: R>E>Q>W

KakeManz covered everything else fairly well

KakeManz

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami187 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write all that. I know it must have been a pain in the ass to do lol. Will try this out and hopefully i can get good with her and start carrying . Once again many thanks
Eh sometimes I enjoy typing for the sake of typing LOL

Plus, I'd like to see more good Vi players, she's so beast on TT.

Goggris

03-19-2013

I'm finding Vi to be quite underwhelming as of late. No real AOE, CC on too long of a cooldown, not an exceptionally fast clear, and with the latest nerfs her scaling hurts a bit.

Shinigami187

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexusrage View Post
Vi can be 21/9 or 9/21 depending on your teams needs; More Damage or More Tank?

I suggest AD Reds and Quints, her scaling with E is simply too good to do anything else

Flat MR blues, Flat Armor Yellows

start boots, long sword, 2 pots

always level E first, whether you invade or jungle, too much damage!

Max: R>E>Q>W

KakeManz covered everything else fairly well
Yea been maxing E first, and the damage is just ridiculous for jungle and those team fights. Just wish theirs more i can do since my team usually wants me to engage first and either they blow me up first, or my team just doesn't take out their ADCs fast enough.

Shinigami187

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakeManz View Post
Eh sometimes I enjoy typing for the sake of typing LOL

Plus, I'd like to see more good Vi players, she's so beast on TT.
Is it possible for her to start ganking at lvl 3 or do i have to wait till 6? Seems that when i try going for ganks, my dmg just isn't enough to finish them off.

Shinigami187

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggris View Post
I'm finding Vi to be quite underwhelming as of late. No real AOE, CC on too long of a cooldown, not an exceptionally fast clear, and with the latest nerfs her scaling hurts a bit.
Yea i know what you mean but i do like her clearing the jungle and minions as long as you max E first then you shouldn't have a problem. At times, i just dont see her damage to be their during team fights without her E or ult. Not sure what i may be doing wrong.

Nexusrage

03-19-2013

You can gank at 2 with Q and E and Exhaust

At 6 try to get their squishy person on your ult right away and tell your team to follow up