Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Malzahar or Brand?

Malzahaar 18 56.25%
Brand 9 28.13%
Other 6 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters 32 .

Malzahar or Brand

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iNFiNiTi12

03-18-2013

I'm some what new to the game but i'm getting to the point where i can buy a new champion with IP's. I have 4800 and I really like mage characters. After looking around i like Malzahar and Brand, but can't pick between the two. In the past i've used Karthus and Swain, of which i was pretty good with Swain. Who would you recommend and why?

PS: I know Cass is the best mage, but she's too overpowered so i'm not sure i want to use her, unless she's hella fun?

Thanks

shellfish360

03-18-2013

i love brand he is so great to play, using ur move combos to stun a target works great. All his moves have a built in ignite also so that can be very handy for finishing off escaping anemys! as for malzahaar... never played him, looks fun but tbh i love brand!!

420 LOL 69

03-19-2013

Brand and Malzahar are both weak in high levels of competitive play, but at the level you're at, both of them can stomp through noobs for at least a few months worth of gameplay for you.

Brand is much easier to use. Malzahar is probably stronger if you're actually good with him, but you have to know what you're doing.

Sephïroth

03-19-2013

Quote:
HI IM SNARF:
Brand and Malzahar are both weak in high levels of competitive play, but at the level you're at, both of them can stomp through noobs for at least a few months worth of gameplay for you.

Brand is much easier to use. Malzahar is probably stronger if you're actually good with him, but you have to know what you're doing.

Brand is much easier to use? X.x

They are both pretty high skillcap champions as they both lack good escapes, brand has a combo stun and Malz has... he has flash. Both have really slow skillshots, and I might give Brand the high skill cap because his ult requires great timing/positioning to do the most damage. Malz can just hit 3 keys when someone is alone and score a kill.

They both have ridiculously good burst and can easily win their own lane if the player is good.

I personally like Malzahar better as he can seriously screw people up 1v1 all game long. Since his void does % damage he doesn't fall off late game as hard as most APCs.

I can vouch that Brand has one hell of a teamfight presence. His AOE, plus his ult is just gamebreaking.

I'd give the Edge to Malzahar as he doesn't fall off as hard as Brand does. Both are really good, and could succeed in competitive play, just most competitive players choose not to play with skillshot champions because you could mess up once and lose the game because of it.

That said, they could also pull off an amazing combo and win the game. Most pros like to play it safe, but we see every year that someone gambles the unlikely pick and wins. So play who you want.

420 LOL 69

03-19-2013

Quote:
Sephïroth:
Brand is much easier to use? X.x

They are both pretty high skillcap champions as they both lack good escapes, brand has a combo stun and Malz has... he has flash. Both have really slow skillshots, and I might give Brand the high skill cap because his ult requires great timing/positioning to do the most damage. Malz can just hit 3 keys when someone is alone and score a kill.

They both have ridiculously good burst and can easily win their own lane if the player is good.

I personally like Malzahar better as he can seriously screw people up 1v1 all game long. Since his void does % damage he doesn't fall off late game as hard as most APCs.

I can vouch that Brand has one hell of a teamfight presence. His AOE, plus his ult is just gamebreaking.

I'd give the Edge to Malzahar as he doesn't fall off as hard as Brand does. Both are really good, and could succeed in competitive play, just most competitive players choose not to play with skillshot champions because you could mess up once and lose the game because of it.

That said, they could also pull off an amazing combo and win the game. Most pros like to play it safe, but we see every year that someone gambles the unlikely pick and wins. So play who you want.

If skillshot champs are so rarely played, why is Anivia such a popular pick?

Sephïroth

03-19-2013

Quote:
HI IM SNARF:
If skillshot champs are so rarely played, why is Anivia such a popular pick?

Oh, I'm sorry she has one Skillshot that's more about learning the timing than judging where they are going to be in 2 seconds.

Let me rephrase that:

Tournaments are now about using the skillshots that are easier to hit than those which can easily be dodged.

I dare you to dodge an Anivia stun at point blank. You can dodge a brand circle or Malz silence all day long.

iNFiNiTi12

03-19-2013

Thank you all for the replies thus far, all of the information is very helpful! Keep in mind though that i have not been playing very long yet and do not plan on playing competitively in any leagues or anything. Also i'm not sure what my skill level is quite yet, but i've been doing intermediate matches on Summoners Rift and i win 50% of the time. Thanks for the help.

Qsario

03-19-2013

Malzahar isn't that hard. He has a simple W+R combo and dropping an E somewhere in a teamfight is great if you can get it to spread. Even if you're underfed, you can W anyone locked down by teammates and Q to disrupt the enemies. But you really shouldn't be because he destroys minions so fast that farming is ridiculously easy. The hard part is playing smart and not getting caught out (hope your support keeps things warded up and doesn't leave you with a ward-infested jungle). You probably want to run ghost+flash on him, though. The %HP damage makes his damage quite awesome these days and he is awesome at pushing. Which, yes, is a downside too. I don't claim to be very experienced with him, but I've found it best to shove the lane to the tower and leave to take wraiths or something rather than sitting out there exposed. Bonus points if you're facing a champ who can't easily farm under their tower.

iNFiNiTi12

03-19-2013

Quote:
Qsario:
Malzahar isn't that hard. He has a simple W+R combo and dropping an E somewhere in a teamfight is great if you can get it to spread. Even if you're underfed, you can W anyone locked down by teammates and Q to disrupt the enemies. But you really shouldn't be because he destroys minions so fast that farming is ridiculously easy. The hard part is playing smart and not getting caught out (hope your support keeps things warded up and doesn't leave you with a ward-infested jungle). You probably want to run ghost+flash on him, though. The %HP damage makes his damage quite awesome these days and he is awesome at pushing. Which, yes, is a downside too. I don't claim to be very experienced with him, but I've found it best to shove the lane to the tower and leave to take wraiths or something rather than sitting out there exposed. Bonus points if you're facing a champ who can't easily farm under their tower.

This is extremely helpful, thank you!

Trrees

03-19-2013

Also understand that Malzahar's ultimate requires you to be very careful. Once you suppress, it leaves you unable to move so you have to use it at correct times. I'd say it's helpful in teamfights since if there's a clear target that needs to be brought down, such as a fed Akali everyone whines about(?), ult -> dead!

I'd also give the edge to Malzahar, since his silence is very useful when nicely aimed and also able to do great damage late game.