The Tribunal is full of punish Spammers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BillyTheAttorney

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithMalice View Post
Don't bring contracts into this! (even though we are technically talking about a contract). But we are also sitting in judgment on violators, not just on a contract but of the code of conduct in the game! Isn't that closer to tort/crim?
Sorry my friend. Have to bring contracts into this. What is it that we do after each patch of this game? We... re-affirm...?

A more fun question which you can bring up in law school that will get a very interesting debate:

"Can we agree to be held to a subjective standard?"

And you bring up a good point, but what are we judging that they've violated? Did the players agree among themselves to be nice? Or did they agree with Riot to be nice?

Shiister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2013

OP provides no proof of "spam-punishing", just his views of how his cases are punished when he pardon because his views are wrong/different.

D34dlyF4n94Z

03-18-2013

Im sorry but i like to curse ... kinda like how i say lol before and after and sometimes in the middle of everything i say ... its just me ... if cursing is a problem then maybe whoever thinks this should pick up a gun and go shoot every person with Tourette syndrome ... its life its people. IF you can't find a way to end it then find a better way to solve it than banning people over use of words .. there just words .. you just empower people more and make life more miserable for others. sorry so sloppy

Shiister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by D34dlyF4n94Z View Post
Im sorry but i like to curse ... kinda like how i say lol before and after and sometimes in the middle of everything i say ... its just me ... if cursing is a problem then maybe whoever thinks this should pick up a gun and go shoot every person with Tourette syndrome ... its life its people. IF you can't find a way to end it then find a better way to solve it than banning people over use of words .. there just words .. you just empower people more and make life more miserable for others. sorry so sloppy
Cursing isn't the problem, it's when you direct it at people with the intent to belittle them.

Advising people to pick up a gun and shoot people, yeah you have mental issues. Seek help kid.

WithMalice

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by magooomba View Post
A few concerns I have with your post:

(1) You make a pretty hefty assumption that fewer reports per game means that the behavior is more acceptable. As far as I know, there have been no studies on this, and that assumption seems unfounded. In reality for the system, 1 report and 9 reports in the same game are treated with equal weight. Doing otherwise encourages calling for reports, which Riot does not want. I'm not sure your method holds up in this light. This is even more true when you ascribe more weight when the opposing team also reports. They did not have the same information you did, only what comes through in all chat and only for those players with all chat on. I don't see any reason to correlate opposing team reports with worse behavior.

(2) In terms of toxicity being "reciprocated", I'm curious just how you view punishing a player for his behavior as somehow rewarding another. If that player exhibited punishable behavior, he should be punished. As should the player who "reciprocated". Under your suggestion, however, neither player should be punished as this somehow rewards the other. Thus, both players are not punished and continue this negative behavior. That seems far from the intent of reporting.
You're right, the other team doesn't have that info, but I do. And the tendency when players are arguing is to spill it into all chat in an attempt to appeal to the other side. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen often. Maybe another addition would be to see who had all chat on and who didn't?

As to point 2, I don't refuse to punish because another player is being toxic, but when the reported player did not initiate the toxicity in the majority of his games I am hesitant to punish. Also, I would like to know what punishment each player is up for. Is he up for a warning, a time ban (how long) or a perma ban? I am hesitant to punish players for expletive laden, general frustration when I don't know if they are going to get a warning or a permanent ban based on my decision. In a real court, there are charges with known penalties, I think the tribunal should at least be given the penalty that player is facing so that we can sit in better judgment. I would be throwing out a lot of warnings and far fewer time bans. But because I don't know the severity of the punishment I give players the benefit of the doubt.

Minstrel13

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by D34dlyF4n94Z View Post
People with tourettes are not being discriminated against. Go ahead and swear so much that all flies within 30 meters of you are killed by the storm of curses. Just don't type it into the keyboard.

Unleashing a curse can be reflexive. Typing requires an act of will.

Wark

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithMalice View Post
You're right, the other team doesn't have that info, but I do. And the tendency when players are arguing is to spill it into all chat in an attempt to appeal to the other side. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen often. Maybe another addition would be to see who had all chat on and who didn't?

As to point 2, I don't refuse to punish because another player is being toxic, but when the reported player did not initiate the toxicity in the majority of his games I am hesitant to punish. Also, I would like to know what punishment each player is up for. Is he up for a warning, a time ban (how long) or a perma ban? I am hesitant to punish players for expletive laden, general frustration when I don't know if they are going to get a warning or a permanent ban based on my decision. In a real court, there are charges with known penalties, I think the tribunal should at least be given the penalty that player is facing so that we can sit in better judgment. I would be throwing out a lot of warnings and far fewer time bans. But because I don't know the severity of the punishment I give players the benefit of the doubt.
I don't really think it matters how many reports a game has or if the enemy could even see what was going on; it doesn't change how the player behaved. If someone hurled insults at the enemy team for the entire game and you were given the information that none of them had all chat on, would you still punish? No one was hurt, but you'd know that the potential was still there.

I do think you should take into account when a player is responding to trolling, but if a player continues to respond and drag out the argument with the same kind of bad attitude, isn't he responsible too?

As for revealing the penalty, I don't think that would be a good idea. That could lead to stuff like: "Well, this guy was really negative and I'd never want to play with him, but I don't want to permaban someone!" Punishable behavior is punishable behavior, no matter what. If the accused hasn't learned from previous bans, then his problem still exists.