The Tribunal is full of punish Spammers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sword of Eris

Senior Member

03-18-2013

Yes, I also have seen a few cases I disagreed with. There was a majority pardon that was clearly a punish, and there was a person punished who I saw nothing really wrong with.

The fact that you say there are unjustified PARDONS proves in your own words that ppl are not just spamming punish.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WithMalice

Member

03-18-2013

When you drive on the highway there is a speed limit that you implicitly agree to by having a driver's license and operating that vehicle on the highway. BUT if you were to be pulled over and ticketed for going 1 MPH over that speed limit you would be miffed,you might even protest that it was unfair.

Technically what you did was illegal, and because it is a strict liability offense you have to pay that ticket. But it is commonly accepted, that people do speed, and that only the most egregious offenders are generally pulled over and ticketed. Although the Summoner's Code IS in place, and should be adhered to, it is an idealized and unrealistic standard given the nature of the activity. (Riot recognizes this and is why not all "speeders" are put before the tribunal). Rigid enforcement of it would quickly deplete this game's popularity, and would be patently unfair. Surely you understand this.

I love the tribunal and what Riot is trying to do, but the system needs to change. Something should be done to get rid of this culture of guilt within the tribunal. I know they intentionally place "false cases" to see if justices are reading closely. But perhaps this isn't enough?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Calys Teneb

Senior Member

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithMalice View Post
I'm sorry, but playing a competitive game on the internet where you expect to not see a single curse word in the chat box is idealism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post

1) What's the point of having a language filter if I can get banned for 'adult' language?
a) We aren't out to punish players who use adult language; in fact, very few players are ever banned for saying stuff like "f***, I missed that skill shot" or "damn, f***ing close game!" However, the language filter is not an excuse to verbally abuse someone in the game. When you verbally abuse or harass someone by calling them "f***ing ******" or "n*gger noob", that's when you've crossed the line and will be punished by the Tribunal. I've said this before and I'll say it again, we aren't trying to clean online games of adult language; we're trying to reform or get rid of jerks who like to verbally abuse and harass other players.
Here.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

magooomba

Senior Member

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithMalice View Post
When you drive on the highway there is a speed limit that you implicitly agree to by having a driver's license and operating that vehicle on the highway.
You don't implicitly agree to anything. You are bound by the law, just as you are bound by Riot's rules here. In fact, you explicitly agree in each and every patch to the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithMalice View Post
Technically what you did was illegal, and because it is a strict liability offense you have to pay that ticket.
No, you have to pay that ticket because you broke the law and were issued a citation. Nothing about that brings in strict liability (completely different area of law). Just as in this game, if you break the rules, no matter how "technical" you think they are, you've broken them, and you might be punished. Not every speeder is cited, just like not every rule breaker is punished here. Rather, only the most frequent rule breakers (or speeders) are caught.

I understood your point, albeit your terms were a little off target, it's just not persuasive at all.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WithMalice

Member

03-18-2013

One of my pardon's. Although yes, the player did swear a bit, for the majority of the games he was helpful, communicating and even trying to give tips. (Lux game specifically). I don't think this player is ban worthy because his team isn't playing well and he's frustrated. It happens to everyone.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribun.../6290765/#nogo


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Calys Teneb

Senior Member

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithMalice View Post
One of my pardon's. Although yes, the player did swear a bit, for the majority of the games he was helpful, communicating and even trying to give tips. (Lux game specifically). I don't think this player is ban worthy because his team isn't playing well and he's frustrated. It happens to everyone.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribun.../6290765/#nogo
You're right, it happens to everyone. However, not everyone makes the choice to enter it into text that can be archived and traced against them.

A bad game isn't an excuse to lash out at people. You want to scream at your monitor, go nuts. If you can't control yourself to the point where you have to abuse others to salve your wounded pride in a video game, you have worse problems than losing a match.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WithMalice

Member

03-18-2013

"The concept of strict liability is also found in criminal law, though the same or similar concept may appear in contexts where the term itself is not used. Strict liability often applies to vehicular traffic offenses. In a speeding case, for example, whether the defendant knew that the posted speed limit was being exceeded is irrelevant. The prosecutor would need to prove only that the defendant was operating the vehicle in excess of the speed limit." I just needed to make sure I learned something in Crim Law...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

magooomba

Senior Member

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithMalice View Post
"The concept of strict liability is also found in criminal law, though the same or similar concept may appear in contexts where the term itself is not used. Strict liability often applies to vehicular traffic offenses. In a speeding case, for example, whether the defendant knew that the posted speed limit was being exceeded is irrelevant. The prosecutor would need to prove only that the defendant was operating the vehicle in excess of the speed limit." I just needed to make sure I learned something in Crim Law...
Touche, I'll give you that. However, if that's all you pulled from my post (the single least important thing), I think you might have missed the point.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exploding Barrel

Senior Member

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithMalice View Post
One of my pardon's. Although yes, the player did swear a bit, for the majority of the games he was helpful, communicating and even trying to give tips. (Lux game specifically). I don't think this player is ban worthy because his team isn't playing well and he's frustrated. It happens to everyone.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribun.../6290765/#nogo
Your team is going to lose in 50% of games. And in the Lux game in particular, no individual even did particularly badly KD-wise. Do you honestly think losing is a free pass to call your teammates r*tarded and otherwise rage at them? He seems to hold it together until about the 30-minute mark and just snaps. Almost exactly the same thing happens in game 5, at about the same point in the game. Do you want to play with someone who has a meltdown whenever your team starts to fall behind?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WithMalice

Member

03-18-2013

I guess what I would like to see, is some more information when something is up for review. I'd like to see who else was reported within the match, what the summoner doing the reporting's report rate is, and maybe even a transcript of the pre-game and post game chat box is. Many things happen off the record that would go a long way to damning or acquitting a player. Also, perhaps, seeing the reported player's report history such as (% of games reported in v. % of games honored in) would help as well. I might just be too lenient, as it seems my opinion is clearly the minority (go figure) here but that doesn't mean what I have to say doesn't hold water. I just want to hear some people's methods. (I am in Law School and the process fascinates me).

Also guys, keep in mind that the players who participate in the tribunal are an EXTREME minority. It might just be that people who choose to judge on the tribunal come from a perception that they are "better than" those they sit in judgment of. Not saying that's true, just that it is likely that tribunal justices are unique. Something about them must be different since so few are compelled to participate. (Yay poli-sci motivational theories class).