Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to build zac top

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RexZor

Recruiter

03-18-2013

The title says it all im going to go over an item build to make zac a viable top lane champ. First of all because of Zac's %hp going ap is not viable because you lose to much hp spamming abilities and its hard to get you passive back. I noticed he's probably going to be like tristana all ap scaling abilities, but ad is more effective. Lets get into it

• Runes: For the runes I use Flat Damage Marks, Flat Damage Seals, Magic Resist per level glyphs and 1 Hp Quintessence, and 2 Flat Damage Quintessence.
    The reason i go this way is for the high damage Zac can do at lvl 1 since his last hitting is fairly bad this will give you a better chance to last hit with some hp on.
  • Masteries: For Zac i go 21-9-0 masteries. This is going to give you more damage and ignoring alot of the health and hp regen most people build with Zac. I will tell you later why you dont need to put points into sustain.
  • Items: Once you enter a match the person your going against will determine you first items.
    If the champ is very squishy and doesnt have alot of sustain start of with Boots and three pots. If the champ is very tanky and outputs lots of damage ex: Garen, Irelia, Renekton etc. You will want to start with 9 health pots and 1 vision ward. This will give you high sustain in lane and the ability to watch out for ganks.
    If you started with boots and three pots build straight into tier 2 boots either ninja tabi or merc treds This depends on the lane your going against. Then pick up a Tiamat, This will later build into a ravenous hydra. If you started 9 hp pots build straight into the ravenous hydra ignoring boots until the item is finished. Unless you see yourself getting ganked alot.
    Next item will be the Phage This will give you health and damage with the ability to slow your targets down. Wait to build your frozen mallet
    Before you build the Frozen mallet get a BloodThrister This along with ravenous hydra will give you the sustain needed to spam abilities and get your hp back right away.
    Next you build your Frozen Mallet for the extra hp and slow duration.
    Now you want to build a Hextech Gunblade With this item you get lifesteal from the Bilgewater Cutlass then you get spell vamp from the Hextech Revolver This is a perfect item from Zac
    Last item you want to build is a Guardians Angel This will let you revive after death and it gives you armor and magic resist.
  • Abilities: Zac passive: The ability to bring you self back together after deaths works will with the GA late game. Since you built alot of sustain gathering goo off the ground wont be necessary late game.
    Zac Q: This damages and slows targets in a line this along with the slow from frozen mallet a great source of cc so enemy champs cant get away. (Max this second)
    Zac W: This damages nearby enemies around you damaging them for a precent of their health. This will be your main damaging ability because of its short cooldown. (Max this first)
    Zac E: This shoots Zac in cone shape to a target location damaging a stunning enemies he lands on. This ability will only used to initiate fights or to get across walls on the map. Since he cant use it will moving this ability will only be used in select situations. (Max This Last)
    Zac R: This is his ult he turns into a ball knocking up enemies on the first bounce and bounces 3 more times to deal damage. This is great with the initiation from his E. This will put enemies out of position and give the adc and apc time to single out targets and do damage.
    %hp used for each ability: Because you built so much sustain this will not be a problem for you.
  • Why Build this Way: I found that this is the best way to build Zac mainly because of his %hp cost. This gives you hp with high sustain you can out dps another bruiser or adc with this build. With the amount of cc you have.. you can make so no enemy champion ever leave your clutches.

Final words i have tried every possible way to build Zac this being the one i had the most success with. If you dont agree or think another item would be better tell me so we can build this guy right. Also Ghost and Ignite is great in Zac, His ult plus Ghost allows him to escape almost all situations. Keep on testing guys.

24SevenEU

03-18-2013

Why damage if none of his skills require him to autoattack or scale off ad?

I suggest rylais instead of Frozen mallet, Gunblade alright if no one on the team is ap heavy, etc.
I also suggest Liandry's Torment, his ultimate makes him bounce 4 times (or 3, forgot) ad his W is low cd, plus, the extra hp always good for his passive and doesn't hurt much his other skills.

RexZor

Recruiter

03-18-2013

Quote:
24SevenEU:
Why damage if none of his skills require him to autoattack or scale off ad?

I suggest rylais instead of Frozen mallet, Gunblade alright if no one on the team is ap heavy, etc.
I also suggest Liandry's Torment, his ultimate makes him bounce 4 times (or 3, forgot) ad his W is low cd, plus, the extra hp always good for his passive and doesn't hurt much his other skills.

I explained why. Just like ad tristana you build her ad even though she scales off ap. Just try it... it works

Timjin

03-18-2013

The difference is that Trist is ranged and has abilities that benefit from Ad such as her Q steroid.

Zac has Zero steroids.

24SevenEU

03-18-2013

Quote:
Timjin:
The difference is that Trist is ranged and has abilities that benefit from Ad such as her Q steroid.

Zac has Zero steroids.

Exactly, what would +95% attack speed do to ap tristana? And extended range wouldn't be as much, and as Ap your escape tool is also one of your main damage sources, i get where your point and i might even try him as Ad, even if its in a bot game, but Ad seems more "unviable" then Ap tristana.

Brocco

03-18-2013

I played him like ap tank. Warmog rush then rylais then lyandry┬┤s torment the gun blade and it was really good. The hp from warmog works great with the skills cost

CrazyMLC

03-18-2013

I've tried him as AD in a custom before, and he does have a bit higher single target damage output. Mostly because his skills don't really have great AP scaling in the first place.

The one problem with AD is at least if you're AP you can walk around jungle camps collecting goo while mashing W. If you're AD, you're sacrificing significant clear time to collect blobs (Assuming you bother to cast spells in the first place I guess). Plus you don't have as much AoE power unless you get Hydra, so it's going to be harder overall to push or clear camps to farm or, you know, win the game.

AD Zac might make a bit more sense if they put a little scaling on his Q.

I imagine AP Zac is a lot better in real, non-custom games, since you're all AoE, and that'll help a lot in teamfights if you can pull it off.

RexZor

Recruiter

03-18-2013

Quote:
CrazyMLC:
I've tried him as AD in a custom before, and he does have a bit higher single target damage output. Mostly because his skills don't really have great AP scaling in the first place.

The one problem with AD is at least if you're AP you can walk around jungle camps collecting goo while mashing W. If you're AD, you're sacrificing significant clear time to collect blobs (Assuming you bother to cast spells in the first place I guess). Plus you don't have as much AoE power unless you get Hydra, so it's going to be harder overall to push or clear camps to farm or, you know, win the game.

AD Zac might make a bit more sense if they put a little scaling on his Q.

I imagine AP Zac is a lot better in real, non-custom games, since you're all AoE, and that'll help a lot in teamfights if you can pull it off.

this is a top lane build not a jungle build

CrazyMLC

03-18-2013

You still have to push lanes, and eventually you'll want to join in on farming the jungle. Everything takes time.

RexZor

Recruiter

03-19-2013

bump