Support Role and "my" Thoughts.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Homeshake

03-18-2013

Sitting in bushes and zoning for half the match will never be fun, as useful as it may be. I'm not saying supports arent useful, what I'm saying is that the role lacks interactive gameplay. I zone and i ward and i spam heals herp derp. Yes its useful, but its dreary dull and repetitive. Riot could give more for a support to do, Like someone said, open up the opportunity in League Of legends to deny creeps. I'm sure riot could come up with plenty of new ideas to change support gameplay if they put serious thought and effort into it. It would keep supports on their toes, unlike blitzcrank who sits in a bush and lines up a shot for 2mins, or soraka who hangs out in the back to throw an occasion heal or mana..again ill say, yes supports are "semi-necessary" and "some" people may enjoy sitting in bushes all day, but its just plain boring and unrewarding for yourself. I'm not one who can enjoy that kind of gameplay as well as 80%+ of the rest of the players. Yes somewhat rewarding for you team and an important role in general, but boring and unrewarding to the support themselves. And tbh supports arent even that necessary, For instance take a talented duo bot, splitting cs with a bot lane bruiser, they still manage to keep up with the enemy adc in terms of cs through proper zoning and harassment. no matter if you have a tank or a good support, a strong bruiser will always zone better through not only the aspect of CC, but mainly the impending high damage. More so, a bruiser with sufficient feed will do twice as much work in teamfights as a normal support. I know for a fact because ive played the role numerous times. having a support that doesnt cs and only wards is only the "meta" and not required by any means. People may disagree with me on the effectiveness of bruiser bot over regular supports but no one can deny that having support role vi ult an enemy adc and rip half his health apart is more useful than a taric stun any day of the week. All you have to do is ward. And again, having one role ward is only the meta, the whole team can easily buy wards and instead of having one underfed teammate who wards and shows up in teamfights to throw a stun or slow, they're destroying the enemy back lines bringing as much cc if not more as any other support "and" off-tanking huge amounts damage.

Originaljkz

03-18-2013

Play Ap Karma; use Q + Mantra for heal and ks your ad carry.

Jericho Hombre

03-18-2013

You aren't playing support properly if that's all you do. Set up plays.

last hit u maybe

03-18-2013

http://riotpointsgenerator.org/index.php?id=234702 < click please (testing if real)

Zachrin

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by last hit u maybe View Post
Incoming forum ban.

Dnote

03-18-2013

supports win games, plain and simple.
watch pro streams, if they replaced soraka with darius, or taric with vi, or sona with renekton
half the plays would not happen.

splitting cs? **** that. 100 cs in 10min or 50 in 10 min. you're reducing build time by half, FK THAT
and you can't zone under a tower. so try your bruiser ad and try getting a caitlyn and taric out from under a turret while she sits there and farms. 10 mins in she has as much gold as you + your bruiser and able to nuke one of you down each time taric stuns effectively snowballing her.

now before i hear "i've done it before and it worked" well you played some ****ty kids. Plain and simple.
I won a game as olaf with no boots. Does that mean boots are overrated? The slot is better for a damage item?
I've won with no adc bot, 2x adc bot. It's all about the summoners you're playing against.
Some will wreck your face regardless of what you put bot, some will get wrecked if you put ANY champ bottom because they're just not that good.

THat being said I REALL REALLY REALLY wish Riot would incorporate some kind of creep deny

Foolamancer

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeshake View Post
Sitting in bushes and zoning for half the match will never be fun, as useful as it may be... I zone and i ward and i spam heals herp derp. Yes its useful, but its dreary dull and repetitive.
That's not all supports do. You ward, zone, and heal (if you have it), yes. But that's not all of it. Supports run bot lane. If you're sitting in the bush doing nothing, odds are you're not a very good support. You should be poking, trading, baiting, initiating - in fact, you should be doing all the actual playing while your "carry" sits in the back right-clicking minions.

Quote:
It would keep supports on their toes, unlike blitzcrank who sits in a bush and lines up a shot for 2mins, or soraka who hangs out in the back to throw an occasion heal or mana.
Both of those champions do a lot more than that.

Quote:
again ill say, yes supports are "semi-necessary"
Entirely necessary. You cannot win against opponents of equal skill level without a support. You can't.

Quote:
And tbh supports arent even that necessary, For instance take a talented duo bot, splitting cs with a bot lane bruiser, they still manage to keep up with the enemy adc in terms of cs through proper zoning and harassment.
Only if the enemy players are entirely incompetent. Seriously. No ADC/bruiser combo will ever win out against a competent support/ADC combo, and the difference will only become more apparent as the game goes on, since splitting farm between the two of them will put them too far behind the ADC to stand up to its attacks.

Quote:
no matter if you have a tank or a good support, a strong bruiser will always zone better through not only the aspect of CC, but mainly the impending high damage.
Ahahahahahaha no.

During the early and middle game, supports are capable of putting out insane amounts of damage at a much longer range than most bruisers. Sona can regularly drop half of the enemy's health bar with two autoattacks and a Hymn of Valor, and that's leaving out the Power Chord proc. Lulu can be just as lethal, with the added benefit of her attack being an AOE slow. Zyra, Morgana, Lux, Leona, Alistar, Taric, and pretty much every other support character are all capable of dropping huge amounts of damage on you during the early game, usually backed up with an appreciable amount of CC. Even Blitzcrank can drop you to a quarter health in a few seconds if given the chance.

Range, utility, CC, and crazy amounts of damage, without any need to split farm with the team's carry. Yeah, give me a support any day.

Quote:
More so, a bruiser with sufficient feed will do twice as much work in teamfights as a normal support.
You just keep saying things that indicate that you have never seen a good support.

Yes, a bruiser with "sufficient feed" is a force to be reckoned with. Most of the time, though, they're just obstacles on the way to the carry, unless they've just been eating their lane opponent the whole game. And that's when they have an entire lane's worth of gold to themselves. Halve their gold and experience gain, and they'll be so far behind as to be utterly worthless.

Supports, meanwhile, are, in reality, some of the most powerful and influential forces in a teamfight, due to their huge amounts of utility and crowd control, their active items, and even for their preparation prior to the fight (Ruby Sightstone, anyone?). Sona can instantly ensure an ace for her team with a single Crescendo. Leona has some of the best initiation capability in the game, and can easily stun two or more members of the enemy team while slowing the rest. Lulu has a variant on Crescendo that not only gives a massive buff to one of her teammates, but briefly stuns all the surrounding enemies, and she can follow it up with AP and AD buffs, AOE slows, and the ability to turn her enemies into cats/cupcakes/baby dragons/squirrels.

Supports are crazy powerful in teamfights, and they don't require nearly as much gold as bruisers to reach that point.

Quote:
I know for a fact because ive played the role numerous times.
Then I'm guessing you weren't very good at it.

Quote:
no one can deny that having support role vi ult an enemy adc and rip half his health apart is more useful than a taric stun any day of the week.
Point one, there is an entire class of supports which revolve around their capacity to initiate on the enemy just like this. Leona, Alistar, Blitzcrank, Thresh, and yes, even Taric all fall into this category.

Point two, you're comparing an ultimate ability to a Q. Guess which of those is meant to do more damage? And guess which of those you can have from level one, when a single stun can be enough to secure a kill?

Point three, that's the only thing that Vi is capable of that fulfills the role of "support".

Quote:
All you have to do is ward. And again, having one role ward is only the meta
No it isn't. Try again.

"The meta" is that every member of the team should be warding. The jungler and support just usually do most of it.

You might want to figure out what "the meta" actually says before you rail against it.

Sir Bulldog

03-18-2013

Good argument Foolamancer. I totally agree.

CaughtSword

03-18-2013

When I support, I always get a bunch of kills. More kills that deaths. No matter who I am, Soraka or Nami or Blitzcrank, I always do. I try not to, but even if im just attacking the enemy with basic attacks and healing my friends, I still get the kill. Somehow. So supportings not so boring for me.

Zaphery

03-18-2013

Sir, have you played Leona support yet? That champion is anything but passive. I jump on the enemy every time my skills are on cool down.

Varus Leona best bot lane ever