A Serious Thread on LoL and Addiction

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xavano

03-18-2013

Hello. My name is Xavano, and I’m an addict. Not to League, not to video games, but I’m an addict. I’ve been to rehab (seven weeks), attended multiple Anonymous meetings, and have hundreds of people in my contact list that I know simply by their first name and last initial to preserve anonymity. I may not be an expert on addiction, but I know what it is first hand. These are my credentials.

Before you read on, please note that this is a decently long post. Also, please note that if you think you are addicted to LoL and you’re only reading this post waiting for your queue to pop for the 40th time during your bi-weekly 24-hours-straight marathon of LoL, I would suggest you queue dodge and read the rest.

Now, I want to say that I’m somewhat frustrated with how loose the term “addiction” has become. It is not a light term. Addiction is very serious, and harms many people. For me, my actions in my addiction lead to the loss of my wife to divorce, my son to a custody battle, probably nearly $10k worth of my own money, another $20k of my insurance’s money, thousands of hours of my time, probably 1000 or so hours of my work time, and nearly the loss of my job. Again, this is not a light matter.

People get “obsession” and “addiction” confused. When I was in high school, I was obsessed with RuneScape (any fellow fans stoked about the ’07 release?!?) Why was I obsessed and not addicted? Because I decided I was playing too much RS, and said “I’m going to stop playing for a month”. And I did, easy peasy. And then when the month was up, I wasn’t very interested in RS or video games as a whole. My obsession had subsided.

Addiction is a whole other story. The first step in Alcoholics Anonymous (which then is used in most Anonymous groups) is “We admitted we were powerless over [our addiction]; that our lives had become unmanageable.” Two key foundations of addiction. 1) Powerlessness and 2) unmanageability. Powerlessness means we can’t stop. We’ve tried. We’ve gone to church, told people about it, decided to get rid of whatever it is (i.e. dumping out all your alcohol), everything we can think of. Yet the lure of the addiction is too strong. Unmanageability means there are serious consequences for our actions. Read my third paragraph and you’ll see the unmanageability in my own life. Unmanageability can be loss of family, money, careers, freedom (i.e. jail time), excessive time – anything.

So please do me three favors. 1) Stop using the term “addiction” in place of “obsession”. Learn the difference between the two. Oh, and a sub-favor – don’t attempt to diagnose other people as addicts. **Edit: An addict must come to their own realization that they are addicted in order to recover.** 2) Stop blaming Riot for these addictions or lack of a "help" program. It is not their legal or moral responsibility to "take care" of gaming addicts. 3) If you feel you are addicted to LoL or any other online game, visit http://www.olganon.org for help. If you don’t know if you’re addicted, just see if you answer “yes” to any of the following questions and there’s a possibility you may be:

1. Has my time spent on LoL interfered severely with other commitments.* For instance, work, school, spending social time with friends, sleep, children, spouses, or commitments that you promised to be there but just didn’t show up?
2. Has the money spent on LoL exceeded the budgetable amount on multiple occasions?
3. **EDIT: Is there shame associated with playing LoL?** The morning after playing, are there feelings of regret for playing so much the day before?
4. Do extremely close friends and loved ones have opinions as to the time spent on LoL?
5. Have any rash decisions been made because of LoL? (i.e. selling a car to buy RP, missing an entire trip somewhere by plane because finishing that last game of LoL was more important, deciding that missing a child’s baseball game for the 20th time is a price worth paying to make sure that Gold I is achieved tonight)

The list of questions could go on, but you have an idea

Edit:

Edited out unnecessary asterisks and also two edits to wording (can be found by looking for the asterisks lol)

Voidgolem

03-18-2013

what's with all the asterisks.

PRIME LTD

03-18-2013

I believe the term for us normal people is "Gamer"

Str3SSed

03-18-2013

what is this i dont even

P1LLOWHUMP3R

03-18-2013

My wife thinks im addicted because i dont sit and watch tv for hours with her instead of playing lol.
I take care of all my responsibilities most of the time. Meaning i may miss doing yard work and do it the next day. Yeah it got done just not when you wanted it done. I played lol on my day off after cleaning that morning. She says im addicted.
Im done watching sports center and its time to play lol. Walking dead comes on, i stop playing lol for the night, but im addicted. My son wants to practice baseball drills in the backyard, i stop playing lol. Son plays lol too. Wife wants to go out this weekend, we go. But still thinks im addicted. I go to bed at a normal time on work night's. but im addicted.
I cook dinner (im the cook in the family) for everyone.

I dont see my addiction.

Xavano

03-18-2013

Yeah... idk what the asterisks are for... I think because I copy pasted from Word.

@Pillow Humper - the thing is, I'm not here to determine if you're an addict or not or give advice on your marriage. Not my place. Take what you will from the OP and leave the rest.

@ScreaMasquerasde - "gamer" is imo similar to "weight lifter". Nothing wrong with it, just helps define to others your interests and sounds a whole lot cooler than "I play video games" lol.

Awesome Aron

03-18-2013

I totally screwed my college years by playing WOW, then LOL. The whole time I said "tomorrow I'll get off this ****!"

Today, as I sit here waiting in que, I'm telling my self "tomorrow I'll change my life!!"

PRINCE OF PERSlA

03-18-2013

great thread dude

Xavano

03-18-2013

Thanks GirlsInDaTruck

SkeithGotBanned

03-18-2013

Yeh, good thread.