Would you consider Dynasty Warriors a MOBA? (Lets talk about the future of League)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

420 LOL 69

03-18-2013

Hey guys. Who here has played Dynasty Warriors? If you haven't played it, it is a fighting game that puts you in as a character on the battlefield of a chinese war. You push your troops up through various bases until you breech the enemy's main base. You win by killing the enemy commander, who is in a heavily armed final base.

In its own way, it is very similar to a single player MOBA. You are a character who is aiding NPC bots (your troops) and pushing NPC bots (enemy troops) up to gain more map control. Instead of turrets, there are bases to provide map control, and instead of a nexus, there's a commander. And instead of it being an overhead view, it's a 3rd person shooter point of view.

Wouldn't it be amazing if League of Legends, at some point in the distant future, made a future game that was more like this? I was playing some Dynasty Warriors 5 with my little brother the other day, and I got to thinking, "man, it would be pretty damn amazing to put some League of Legends characters in here."

I mean, would it not make the perfect game? Add in a badass fighting system in the game. Now auto attacks aren't just pointing and clicking. They're swinging and blocking and power attacks and normal attacks. Area damage (swinging a sword at somebody's head does more damage than swinging a sword at somebody's legs). AD Carries now have to aim all of their auto attacks like a third person shooter. Of course, stat balancing would be completely different based on this system, but you could port almost every single League of Legends character into a game like this. You'd just have to change up the mechanics of a lot of skills, and some characters would have to be changed up a bit. And almost everything would have an aiming system of some kind (no more point and click free skills like Taric's stun or Vlad's Q).

Brand's W, for example, could be thrown as a grenade. He lobs a fireball like a grenade, and when it lands, it sets fire to an area. By adding a power attack/regular attack system, you can rebalance on hit skills even farther. In melee combat, a power attack will do more damage than a regular attack, pierce through blocking more, but also takes a second to charge up before landing, leaving you vulnerable during that time. Some on hit active skills, like Nasus' Q, could be activated as the next regular attack you do. Others, like Blitzcrank's E, could be activated as the next power attack you do. This gives you more options when creating/balancing new champions. And while taking away the overhead point and click does limit you in certain areas and make porting certain champions difficult (I could see it being very hard to make Xerath's ult or any global ult like Shen's ult work effectively), the new system would allow for many new kinds of champion concepts to be made.

I donno. It would just be so fun to play a game like this. Imagine blasting a Lux laser across the map, or tossing Ziggs bombs at everybody from right there on the battlefield. Imagine sniping people with ashe's ult, or jumping in as Riven and wrecking everything.

Riot make this happen one day plz.

I play blind

03-18-2013

that sounds like sc campaign

also whats it called something with different empires/religions through history, another RTS type game but the campaign is like that

anyways, thats just another RPG game if anything, MOBA refers more too the whole team vs team with NPC minions, player champions and trying to take enemy base

USnip

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2013

dynasty warriors is a lot like a moba with no skill or, in fact, anything interesting

GlavTech

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by USnip View Post
dynasty warriors is a lot like a moba with no skill or, in fact, anything interesting
Remember, this is what DOTA players said when League came out.

Don't be that guy.

Camen Sieder

03-18-2013

You pretty much just described Smite

It's a moba based around skill shots in a 3rd person view

USnip

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlavTech View Post
Remember, this is what DOTA players said when League came out.

Don't be that guy.
so because they were wrong I must be wrong? doesn't follow

Mid and Feeding

03-18-2013

I feel like this would complicate and shift the game in such a way as to be too action-oriented. Imagine the typical chaos involved in a late-game team fight on SR. Now, give every player FPS control, requiring you to change what direction you're facing, how you're swinging your weapon, and such. Sure there might be a portion of hardcore action fans that this could cater to, but it certainly won't be as appealing for the majority of the player base who enjoys the much simpler and more elegant top-down control over the battlefield.

Patastrophe

03-18-2013

I actually like this idea...Commanders etc could be basically other players...etc..

Upvoted for creativity. I'd be interested to see this!

adbe

03-18-2013

Except in Dynasty Warrior you charge in and kill everything by yourself, allies are useless lol. Also horribly imbalance.

It'll become a very different game tbh, but I like the idea

Rintastic

03-18-2013

Sounds a whole lot like Smite to me.