Dare to Dream...a tale of Jungle Poppy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RobotDrZaius

03-18-2013

I really want to make this build work, but I need some help. My main problem is I simply can't afford all the items I feel I need in a standard game. My "dream" build is:
Spirit of spectral wraith
Sorc shoes
Guinsoo's rageblade
Manamune
Frozen heart/MR item
Sheen (into triforce I guess, but that's if I'm rolling in dough)

There's a lot of synergy for all these items, but I'm not good enough to earn all that gold. What's essential, and what should be cut out?

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2013

That build should be deleted and never be heard from again. Especially for jungle Poppy.

Spirit of the Lizard elder or Wriggles should be your first item to help you clear. Probably Lizard Elder as Poppy will need mana to clear faster.

Then I would start you Trinity Force. I'd suggest starting with a Zeal for clear time or a Sheen to gank better.

From there I'd either build a Hextech Gunblade or if you need Defense I'd grab a GA.

Honestly, if games get past this point I would buy everything situation-ally, and a late game poppy is to be feared.

Focus on clearing farm and do not worry about ganking unless a lane is over extended. If they are over extended be sure and make them pay, though.

Once you hit 6, you can seriously make a team pay by turret diving them. BE SURE to take turret aggro as your ult will nullify the damage. I would not pop you ult until after you've taken one hit from it as it will last longer. Try and smash who you are ganking against their turret because most people don't expect to get smash into their own turret as they are hugging it.

If you're ganking bottom lane be sure to always ult the support and go for the carry. In fact, anytime you ult try and get the support.

I wouldn't get Sorc Boots, ESPECIALLY if you're in the jungle. I would grab Merc treads for heavy CC games, and Boots of Mobility in low CC games as they will make your ganks much more potent.

Hxc Deci

03-18-2013

I agree with Seph´roth in that sense. IMHO though, I see all these players playing poppy AP or AD/AP hybrid and I for one (from experience) can tell you that you would probably have better luck going the AD route how she SHOULD be played. She does PLENTY of damage with her abilities AS IS. I mean come on...think about how much of a chunk of health her Q alone does to a champ...any champ. Now think about if you slam them into a wall do your FULL burst combo with your ult on them how much damage that alone will do...NOW add into the equation the ability to make an enemy go "poof" (I coined that term for poppy use only since she makes bishes go "poof" when she smacks em) because your auto attacks do so much damage.

This will also help with clearing the jungle seeing as you rely LESS on your abilities and mana to clear stuff and more on direct PEW PEW damage =) and attack speed/consistent damage.

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...olo-top-179440

There is a nice AD build that focuses on decent sustain but mostly on the damage output WITH her burst capabilities. Just change a few items out with the normal jungler stuff...DO NOT USE WRIGGLES BTW. You're better off with the spirit stones then wasting 900 gold on a little bit of LS and armor and damage. Trust me. Go look it up what even the pros use, I bet you it's not the wriggles =)

RobotDrZaius

03-18-2013

Thanks...I still need some help understanding this though. Basically, I KNOW my build is bad because I've tried it...but I don't get WHY it's so bad! I was trying to go for a mainly AD route, hence the Manamune, but I guess I get sidetracked by all these items that seem to work well with her passive and style.

For example: spell vamp. Should be AWESOME on Poppy, because building Health/Armor/MR all actually work AGAINST her passive, making it reduce less of the damage. So I want lots and lots of sustain, and spell vamp works on her Q and her E, benefiting even from AD on her Q. That's why I picked up Spectral Wraith and Guinsoo's.

Then on the flipside, she's ridiculously mana-hungry...so Manamune seems to make sense. Builds up to 1000 mana by using abilities, which Poppy does a lot with her short CD's. Then gives you AD out of it!

I guess my build was just too un-focused? I really don't want to follow a build like the one Hxc posted, not because it's "bad" or anything, but because if I'm just going to build a Bloodthirster and PD, I would pick a different champ....Aren't there items that work better with poppy's kit?

LarcyBrown

03-18-2013

ive been dreaming of trying out ap poppy build in the jungle but yah.There is no way to make ad poppy work early if you ask me, least no easy way.

i wont recommand a build until i try it myself, but im thinking 13 armor 20 magic pen in runes.
rush sorc shows and camp bot lane .It could work if both brush are warded 1 stun = 1 kill on a gank for sure.Ima get back to you on that.
Ima get back to you on that once i tried it.

RobotDrZaius

03-19-2013

Bump, because I want more forum wisdom

I'm a math nerd, so feel free to explain in those terms...spell vamp just seems so perfect for poppy.

Amalickiah

03-20-2013

Spell vamp makes it so her Q heals for some decent sustain which can be good depending on your playstyle. The problem with Poppy though is that you need to rush a few core items on her in order to mitigate her innate weakness and to utilize her innate strengths. In season 2, this meant rushing a philo to address her mana problems and crappy farming ability and then sheen which makes her Q hit like a truck. At that point in the game spell vamp is less attractive and is sort of stepping on the shoes of the philo anyway.

I haven't played Poppy much in season 3 but on paper, manamune seems like it might be a good early investment followed by sheen. After that, yeah a spell vamp item like hextech might work.

Xantak

03-20-2013

What about getting Spirit of the Ancient Golem(for the tenacity/ and health/mana regen), and Boots of Swiftness(for even more slow reduction as well as a higher base movement speed than Merc treads), thus making it even tougher to lock you down(since your Diplomatic Immunity won't be ready all the time)? Afterwards, go for stuff like Triforce, Warmog's Armor, and then stuff like....BotRK or Hextech?