ELO and Ranking in LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FrozenHonors

11-03-2010

can u explain to me how this works. me and my buddy have 1000+ wins and i am currently 1020 wins and 940 loss. why am i paired with people who have 100 - 250 wins in one game and 700 - 900 wins in the next?

and when can i actually meet pro players (notable players that are famous in LoL)

EXPLAIN AND DISCUSS!

i need a PROFESSIONAL view, preferably from adjucators or whatevers....

Qualm

11-03-2010

Because the amount of wins isn't directly related to your skill at a game?

And that there aren't all that many people with 1000+ wins, especially not logged on at the same time.

Also, "famous" players play ranked, not normals most of the time.

FrozenHonors

11-03-2010

uhh wins and losses = games played. the more games u play the BETTER u become at it. u cant play ~2000 games and remain a new-guy (not gonna say the insulting n--- word )

Evilpigeon

Adjudicator

11-03-2010

What's your win-loss difference? Elo works roughly on that, e.g. I'm about 60+ which gives me and elo of ~1800 in normal games the total number of games doesn't really matter... although there is a slow inflation of elo. I guess the people with 1-200 games are supposedly as good as you are

Neverlike

11-03-2010

MM calculates elo points not win/lose amount. so that means you're geting paired with people who are slightly above or below you in regard of ELO,regardless of win/lose amount

sjokk

11-03-2010

This was mine, im now at 210+ but i also got queued a few times with inexperienced peoples (either lower than 30 or with about 100-200 games).

It happens rarely lately but it did happen a few times.

Kskaudonsu

11-03-2010

Might I entice you?

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=323338

Shikaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2010

Elo has nothing to do with number of wins and number of losses. It's determined by who you beat and who you lose to. A person with 10 wins 0 losses can potentially be rated higher than someone with 1000 wins and 990 losses.

Example A: (All numbers are hypothetical)

Game 1
Your rating = 1200
Enemy rating = 1500

You win thus gaining a huge amount of rating points because you just beat someone insanely good. Your rating is now 1250.

Game 2
Your rating = 1250
Enemy rating = 1250

You lose but since these guys were around your skill level you basically had a 50/50 chance to win. You only lose a moderate amount of rating putting you at 1240.

Example B:

Game 1:
Your rating = 1200
Enemy rating = 500

You stomp the **** out of them but since they were lower rating relative to you, you gain very little rating putting you at 1205

Game 2
Your rating = 1205
Enemy rating = 400

Yet another pubstomp with 6 ninja tabi Soraka going 30/0 within the first 10 minutes. Again these guys are so bad that you don't gain much putting you at 1209 rating.

As you can see A had 1 win 1 loss but ended with a much higher rating. B has 2 wins with a much lower rating. Granted, this example is quite extreme and MM will try to avoid these insane matchups but it illustrates my point. This is roughly how the elo system works (with tweaks for premades and such). Just because you have 1000+ wins does not automatically make your rating higher than people with 250 wins because the 250 win guy might be beating people with higher rating than him.

FrozenHonors

11-03-2010

okay thanks for all the interesting explanations guys however, i must add, the people playing champions that are powerful / OP would do better than people playing weaker champs. for example:

1)kass
2)esreal
3)akali
4)kat
5)yi

VS

me playing ashe....

i will die duh. too many flashes and all targeting ashe = gg.

does that mean im not good with ashe? no. it means people are taking opportunity of better champions to beat weaker ones. this causes my elo to potentially drop. mm should factor that in.

whatwhatintehbut

12-22-2011

bump