Banned untill December 31, 2286.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slapurfamily

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelzin View Post
Gordon Ramsey. Then again he's really not rude when he's teaching... Just rude to the point they understand they need to be taught.

Hmm... Anybody in the military. Damn they are pricks when you first start.

*ponders*

That's all I got.
Gordon Ramsay pays up his rudeness for the camera and always has a constructive criticism to make, even when he is yelling. "This duck is so undercooked a skilled vet could still save it!" Hilarious, and an important criticism for a chef.

And the harsh conditions of boot camp are meant to get you used to stressful situations in combat and get you psychologically invested in the military. Your drill instructor is not yelling at you because they're angry, no matter how well they act angry.

When I was 16, I had a driving instructor who would yell at me a lot, and it didn't help me become a better driver, just a nervous one. It took me years of driving to be comfortable behind the wheel.

SweatyWolverine

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiister View Post
Goodbye. Never heard of teaching that works by being rude.
Oh really? You never heard of this thing called "boot camp"? Or "The military"? You know, some the of the most invested in projects in the world.

Nah, I'm sure you and some lucky amateur company called "riot games" knows MUCH more about what sort of teaching works than the U.S. Government.

PenguinKillBear

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatyWolverine View Post
Oh really? You never heard of this thing called "boot camp"? Or "The military"? You know, some the of the most invested in projects in the world.

Nah, I'm sure you and some lucky amateur company called "riot games" knows MUCH more about what sort of teaching works than the U.S. Government.
you mean the same government that instituted one of the worst teaching programs in history? Are you aware of the "no child left behind" program?

Daerkannon

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatyWolverine View Post
Bad analogy. Boot camp is about breaking down the individual id and building that person back up to be a better soldier and team player, rather than the independent 'me first' person they started with. Being rude is simply one of the tools they use to shock your brain into paying attention.

A soldier at a bootcamp has made a choice and investment to be there and submit themselves to that treatment. A player joining a game of LoL that happens to get you as a teammate has not made that same choice nor commitment. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're not a qualified drill instructor either, so therefore don't know how to use being rude to teach.

Lord Ferret

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2013

I tried this test with a guy in the forums a while back. I yelled and insulted him and made him feel like ****. did he get plat and win all the tournements? Nope he was still the crappy player he was and always will be.

So what does this tell you? Being a jerk wont make people play better. Being helpful and nice about it will.

DildoMcFaggins

03-18-2013

bads will be bad they dont take advice and forever believe that they are the best players in the game

which is why there all bronze V and will stay there

n3ac3y

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daerkannon View Post
Bad analogy. Boot camp is about breaking down the individual id and building that person back up to be a better soldier and team player, rather than the independent 'me first' person they started with. Being rude is simply one of the tools they use to shock your brain into paying attention.

A soldier at a bootcamp has made a choice and investment to be there and submit themselves to that treatment. A player joining a game of LoL that happens to get you as a teammate has not made that same choice nor commitment. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're not a qualified drill instructor either, so therefore don't know how to use being rude to teach.
I hear pressing the mute button is hard.

Robotiny

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daerkannon View Post

Quoted for truth.

I am in the US Air Force and was made well aware what boot camp was about. The Ti's have tons of training and while they yell for the first month or so, once you put your ego on the shelf and start doing what you are supposed to, then it's a completely different boot camp.

Not to mention if you follow the core values, (at least of the US Air Force) then you would never flame anybody or yell at them to do better.

Integrity first.
Service before self.
Excellence in all we do.

What point I'm trying to make is that boot camp is not equal to the Military. Just teaches you how to lead by example and encouragement rather than just yell at people because you feel entitled to do so because of your so called "skill". Not to mention there is a time and place to yell (when it could mean saving lives in combat) and not just at people you are playing a game with.

Long live the US Military.

Keonyn

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3ac3y View Post
I hear pressing the mute button is hard.
Irrelevant. If you're having to press the mute button it means the tone has already been set, the abuse is already prevalent and the damage is done. The mute button is a short term answer to make a bad situation tolerable for those who still have to finish out that game with the problem player, but it doesn't excuse the toxic behavior that caused the situation.

Getsuei

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotiny View Post
Quoted for truth.

I am in the US Air Force and was made well aware what boot camp was about. The Ti's have tons of training and while they yell for the first month or so, once you put your ego on the shelf and start doing what you are supposed to, then it's a completely different boot camp.

Not to mention if you follow the core values, (at least of the US Air Force) then you would never flame anybody or yell at them to do better.

Integrity first.
Service before self.
Excellence in all we do.

What point I'm trying to make is that boot camp is not equal to the Military. Just teaches you how to lead by example and encouragement rather than just yell at people because you feel entitled to do so because of your so called "skill". Not to mention there is a time and place to yell (when it could mean saving lives in combat) and not just at people you are playing a game with.

Long live the US Military.
Army

LDRSHIP

Loyalty: Be faithfull to the Constitution, the military and yourself.

Duty: Fullfill your obligations.

Responsibility: Treat others as they should be treated:

Selfless Service: In a nutshell, put everything before your own needs.

Honor: Uphold the Army values.

Integrity: Do what is right, legally and morally.

Personal Courage: Face fear and danager and adversity.