How do you get people to listen to you?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

powwder

03-18-2013

1) carry hard and do well yourself. think for a second no matter how good my advice is, if i am 0-4-2 or something will you really listen to me? what if i was 4-1-6

2) don;t talk **** to people.

Hirumonogatari

03-19-2013

do you guys find pinging is sufficient or do you usually have to type out what you want them to do? i try to at least type "drag" or "baron" if i want it, but for turrets i generally just ping it and hope they get the message. typing "get the turret" takes some time.

Tarabull

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2013

Short Answer: You don't. I just always assume that everyone thinks they are better than everyone else. Feel free to make suggestion and see how the team responds. If they accept or try to use your suggestion and talk about it, then you should be good. If they tell you that you're a noob then **** em. Slap an ignore on that bad boy and forget about them. I don't have any numbers but It wouldn't surprise me if 30 to 50% of people fall into the latter category. I have little hope for this community as a whole so I find it better to just ignore those who refuse to work with you. I figure if I play enough games I'll ignore everyone I don't like. =P

flduckhunter73

03-19-2013

People aren't going to listen, you essentially have to do it yourself. The best way to carry a game is to run a solo lane. Then you need to win that lane, then you need to win that lane so hard that you are pushing turrets all the way up to the base turret by yourself. This requires wards in order not to feed. Run flash and teleport. If you get in trouble or see that you are being converged on teleport to safety. Winning games is about putting pressure on the enemy team. If you put enough pressure out by yourself it will eventually force the enemy team into making a mistake.

I have recently had a large elo gain following this recipe. I usually play mid. When you start steam rolling your enemy laner so hard that you are pushing up to the base it requires the enemy team to send at least their jungler and often times people from the top/bottom lanes in order to try and stop you. The key is to play guerilla warfare tactics. If I am steam rolling mid, have recently killed the mid lane player and I see the jungler heading mid from the bottom lane to cover. I will just go to the top lane gank them and push that turret down. Basically if you get fed you have to relentlessly push towers WITHOUT DIEING (wards). This makes the enemy have to run around the map the whole game trying to babysit/stop your advance. This allows your teammates to free farm.

When to join a team fight? Always join a team fight if you suspect it will lead to more turrets lost than you can push down in the same amount of time. 3 enemies in the bot lane vs 2 allies defending a turret? You are alone in the top lane pushing? Sure they might lose the team fight and the turret but you might be able to push one down at the same time. If they manage to hold out and defend the turret and you push one down then great! You should generally join any team fight where 5 enemies are present as well.

One other note. You need to maximize the amount of turrets and farm you can get before level 15 or so. This is really the best time to split push. Respawn timers are short enough before these levels that if you team gets wiped you can still defend and not lose the game. After around level 15 or so you need to start following your team around and buying an excessive amount of wards. Deaths at these levels can result in heavy turret loss and losing the game. Don't leave anything to chance, follow the bads around and ping fall back at them until they report you if they are doing something stupid. YOU MUST BE FED.

Also note that there will be games that you can't carry, such as one I had the other day where our ADC got his panties in a twist and pushed the bottom lane for 45 straight minutes without leaving it, even while they were killing our nexus.

Hirumonogatari

03-20-2013

there's a lot going on but i'm not sure where exactly i need to be looking out to improve. i'm pretty consistent in cs unless my supp thinks he's a heal bot and constantly sits at tower (thankfully this happens rarely). i could work on my warding but it just doesn't come naturally. the times they do come i find myself full on item slots because i was building towards that next big one. but i will work on it.

it might just be because i'm playing normals (not good enough for ranked) but i'm not sure how much more i can contribute when i'm doubling my teammates' cs, making sure i don't die and have a good number of kills and assists (if i get more than 5 deaths in a game, that's a cue for me to go rewatch a replay and see where i scrwed up) and try to shoot for objectives like turrets, dragon and baron whenever possible.

all that, and i can't even GET to a 50% W/L ratio, much less maintain it. either there's something i'm missing terribly, or you just can't carry from bot lane, which doesn't make sense because you are supposed to be able to carry from any role.

SeCKS Egai

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSZHUNG View Post
there's a lot going on but i'm not sure where exactly i need to be looking out to improve. i'm pretty consistent in cs unless my supp thinks he's a heal bot and constantly sits at tower (thankfully this happens rarely). i could work on my warding but it just doesn't come naturally. the times they do come i find myself full on item slots because i was building towards that next big one. but i will work on it.

it might just be because i'm playing normals (not good enough for ranked) but i'm not sure how much more i can contribute when i'm doubling my teammates' cs, making sure i don't die and have a good number of kills and assists (if i get more than 5 deaths in a game, that's a cue for me to go rewatch a replay and see where i scrwed up) and try to shoot for objectives like turrets, dragon and baron whenever possible.

all that, and i can't even GET to a 50% W/L ratio, much less maintain it. either there's something i'm missing terribly, or you just can't carry from bot lane, which doesn't make sense because you are supposed to be able to carry from any role.
Looking at your current lolking -

Get rid of heal as your alternate summoner, typically adcs run cleanse or ignite and for good reason. Some folks have picked up barrier, but considering its lengthy cd, you'll get more mileage out of cleanse or ignite depending on how aggressive or defensive you are.

You might want to consider getting rid of the armor pen and using flat ad quints/marks. The armor pen only goes so far, and hardly makes a difference at the earlier levels where flat ad significantly improves last-hitting.

You'll definitely want some more rune pages.

As a support, potentially consider aegis as a core item - the stats it provides a team are amazing considering the cost. I usually forgo building a sightstone at all and focus on the aegis since I typically need more than 3 ward coverage on a map anyway.

Hirumonogatari

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeCKSx View Post
Looking at your current lolking -

Get rid of heal as your alternate summoner, typically adcs run cleanse or ignite and for good reason. Some folks have picked up barrier, but considering its lengthy cd, you'll get more mileage out of cleanse or ignite depending on how aggressive or defensive you are.

You might want to consider getting rid of the armor pen and using flat ad quints/marks. The armor pen only goes so far, and hardly makes a difference at the earlier levels where flat ad significantly improves last-hitting.

You'll definitely want some more rune pages.

As a support, potentially consider aegis as a core item - the stats it provides a team are amazing considering the cost. I usually forgo building a sightstone at all and focus on the aegis since I typically need more than 3 ward coverage on a map anyway.
i'm in the process of saving up IPs for rune pages (just recently bought one and i'm dirt poor again.)

cleanse, i sometimes run against very cc heavy teams but it usually doesn't come off in time because of the 250 ping i play at (waiting for those oceanic servers Riot). i usually play by the philosophy that if i get cc'ed, i'm dead. i shouldn't be getting hit, anyway, or i have to rethink my positioning.

i'm not sure about ignite.. i've seen mixed results with it. usually watching people go ignite and all-in and end up feeding doubles. maybe i could get some tips on how to use it properly. cause if i'm in range for ignite, i'm sure as hell in range for a skillshot or an auto.

so, you just go aegis first, or grab a philo along the way? and you just grab wards along the way? i find 3 wards from the ruby isnt enough at all, but it does supplement the wards i'm getting so i'm spending money on 4 wards rather than 7 everytime i back..

Lord Puppy Fury

03-20-2013

"i could work on my warding but it just doesn't come naturally."

Thank you. Thank you for that massive head-shaped dent in my desk. Duh, wards don't come naturally. You have to BUY them. And then USE them. And then go "Ermagerd! Werds! I lurv them!"

Until 40+ minutes when you're about to hit six complete items, you keep a slot in your inventory open for 2 wards every time you return to base. Period. No exceptions. Even if you're the ADC. If you farm as well as you say you do, you shouldn't have a problem affording 150g every 3-5 minutes. Wards save lives. Ward win games. Wards make the map safe for you and unsafe for the enemy team. If you forget to buy wards, write it on a sticky note and stick it to the bottom of your monitor. It's a habit you have to train yourself into but one you'll be very glad you did.

Densuo

03-20-2013

Just be friendly. You're not gonna convince everyone, sadly. Just work with the ones that don the ones that don't will soon follow.

Helps if you lead by example.

Hirumonogatari

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Puppy Fury View Post
"i could work on my warding but it just doesn't come naturally."

Thank you. Thank you for that massive head-shaped dent in my desk. Duh, wards don't come naturally. You have to BUY them. And then USE them. And then go "Ermagerd! Werds! I lurv them!"

Until 40+ minutes when you're about to hit six complete items, you keep a slot in your inventory open for 2 wards every time you return to base. Period. No exceptions. Even if you're the ADC. If you farm as well as you say you do, you shouldn't have a problem affording 150g every 3-5 minutes. Wards save lives. Ward win games. Wards make the map safe for you and unsafe for the enemy team. If you forget to buy wards, write it on a sticky note and stick it to the bottom of your monitor. It's a habit you have to train yourself into but one you'll be very glad you did.
uh. no what i meant was the spots that are best to be warded don't come naturally, not the warding itself. this is meaning out of lane phase, of course. bot lane wards are pretty easy: river, bot bushes, tribush if you're pushing really hard.

most of the time my wards are used for the two central river, and maybe wraiths if we've lost the 2nd turret. that's 3 wards per round but i don't see it making a significant difference in most of the games.