How do you get people to listen to you?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hirumonogatari

03-17-2013

I've always had massive difficulty in getting people to listen. I'm not sure if it's just normals (because i'm nowhere near good enough to even try ranked) but everytime i try to push for an objective (because, you know, objectives win games) the rest of my team seems to disagree with me.

see their enemy jungler camping top and managed to force the enemy bot laner out of lane. ping dragon. jungle goes off to get blue, mid continues to farm and i sit there looking like an idiot.

win a teamfight 3-1, opponents in full retreat but lane is pushed and 20-30 seconds isn't enough time to push the lane AND take down the inhib tower. ping baron. top laner types "just a min, going to buy an item". don't have enough dps / tank to take baron safely with 3 people against 2 enemies who are alive.

win another teamfight, 2-0. lane is pushed to their turret this time and we can take both the turret and the inhib. ping the turret and inhib like a madman. 2 guys decide to chase nidalee through the forest while the other 2 went to take enemy blue. i sit there in the middle of the lane looking like an idiot. (again)

i try to type at times but there's not a lot of time to type out complete, full sentences in the middle of a game. a "drag" or "baron now" should suffice, especially with the new pings.

this is happening so often that i'm literally tearing my hair out.. what more can i do to carry? i'm not MLG level where i can do mad jukes and go 1 v 3 or even 1 v 4. i try to compensate by having decent mechanics and learning how to make good calls. but i can't do jack if the team just doesn't follow.

SeCKS Egai

03-17-2013

You won't always get them to listen, but more often than not people would prefer a leader than to lead themselves.

Remember, you gotta work with the team, if they don't follow your lead, you've got to adapt accordingly.

In the lower elos especially, people aren't going to be keen on objectives most of the time, so you simply have to analyze the situation and react.

Hirumonogatari

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeCKSx View Post
You won't always get them to listen, but more often than not people would prefer a leader than to lead themselves.

Remember, you gotta work with the team, if they don't follow your lead, you've got to adapt accordingly.

In the lower elos especially, people aren't going to be keen on objectives most of the time, so you simply have to analyze the situation and react.
so if people aren't keen on objectives, how should i reanalyze the situation and react? i should follow them in a wild chase through the jungle?

i'm not strong enough to take an objective by myself, and i can't imagine what else you could do better than to take objectives when you have the opportunity. i mean, doesn't objectives win you games?

SeCKS Egai

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSZHUNG View Post
so if people aren't keen on objectives, how should i reanalyze the situation and react? i should follow them in a wild chase through the jungle?

i'm not strong enough to take an objective by myself, and i can't imagine what else you could do better than to take objectives when you have the opportunity. i mean, doesn't objectives win you games?
You have to realize it's no longer an opportunity if your team doesn't take note, just like knowing when to let the enemy get an objective because you don't have the means to defend it proper.

You shouldn't be chasing needlessly either, but instead step back and see if there's anything you can do or recall and buy. I've lost games by dying at the worst of times where going back and regrouping could have made all the difference.

Hirumonogatari

03-18-2013

i'm kind of lost then. on how to best carry a game. clearly doing well mechanically isn't enough, because for every lane you win there should be a lane somewhere that isn't doing so hot. i believed that decision making and objectives was the most effective way to carry a team, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

so how exactly do you "carry" a team to victory?

Chocolate Frost

03-18-2013

The best ways to get teammates to listen to you are simple.

1. Do not insult or cuss at your team mates no matter how badly they mess up.
2. Say "please" or "plz" when you want something and "thank you" "ty" when a teammate does something for you.
3. Always compliment a teammate for doing something good. A simple "Nice" or "GJ" is great for morale.
4. Politely point out the mistakes your team mates are making and offer them advice on how to perform better.

As long as you maintain a positive attitude, respect the people on your team, and lead by example through your own successes, your team will most likely follow you.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2013

I found having the green teammate badge has helped people respect me in games. Ever since I received my badge, its been so much easier for me to organize and stop the infighting between people in games.

That said, sometimes they just won't. I treat everyone like they are 2 years old and do not understand me but since I'm typing in text it doesn't come across as condescending as it actually is.

I'm not sure of your work history, but think of it like a customer service type job where you have to please the customer even if they are squeezing your balls and twisting them.

Few tips I find very helpful:
ALWAYS compliment first blood on your team, never rage it.

Anytime someone wins a 1v1 battle compliment it, they want acknowledgement they just outplayed their opponent.

Do not feed the people who are obvious ragers, just ignore them. IE: You're jungling and top keeps yapping about how you never gank when you're level 7 and have been top twice.

Its hard to learn, and I'm still trying to get it down, how to tell people they screwed up without calling them a screw up. Normally, I start the sentence with a "Next time:" and end it with a "and we'll get it".

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSZHUNG View Post
so how exactly do you "carry" a team to victory?
In most cases, you don't. Unless you're significantly out of your proper MMR, you have at best a 20-40% chance to be one of the players that even can carry your team. The rest of the time, several people will be better then you. In that case, you just have to not throw. You also need to accept the possibility that their calls may be better then yours.

As a jungle main, I've had lots of degrees of success making calls. Sometimes, my team follows me and we secure an objective. Sometimes, they don't, and we miss the chance. Sometimes, they follow me, and it turns out to be a bad call. And sometimes, I make a bad call and someone else makes the right one, and we go do that instead.

You won't always be right, and even when you are, you won't always have people follow you. There's no way to force them to, so just try to do what you think is best for the team. Usually, that's staying grouped. Sometimes, it's split pushing. Sometimes, it's pinging retreat and heading back to base.

Xavano

03-18-2013

In order to lead, you have to earn the respect of your teammates. This is extremely difficult to do in 20 minutes with a grouo of strangers. Not to mention your teammates will not notice 90% of the things you do because they are focused on themselves. So you have to focus on doing things that make you noticable.

A few things might help.

1) Win whatever it is you're doing. If you're laning, win your lane. Feed your adc if you're supporting. Outjungle your opponent if you're jungling. People are more likely to listen to a 5/0/3 laner or 0/0/10 support or jungle than someone with 3+ deaths.
2) Ward. If you are a support, this won't help earn respect because "supports are supposed to ward". But if you are a laner or jungler, you earn your jungle and supports respect when you say "I'm not too good to ward."
3) Be nice. If you rage or make slurs, you have no chance of leading. Even if you're quiet, people won't follow you. Be outspokenly nice, but not flattering. "Solid gank man!" is standard for me (as a mid) when my jungler ganks and gives me a kill. But only the first time, because overtly praising them makes you sound stupid. Compliment 1v1 kills in top or mid,1v2 kills if your teammate got ganked and got a kill before dying, 2v3 bot lane plays, and how your support's wards are winning the game.
4) When you have established the lead, take it. Not everyone will follow you, but if you ping dragon because you saw the enemy jungle top and you just killed the enemy mid, only one of three people (adc, jungler, supp) has to respect you and join you to get the other two to tag along.
5) Play with a buddy. If he does what you say and your team doesn't know you're buddies, you just gained influence over everyone on the team.
6) Some people just don't listen. You'll probably get 1 a game. Ditch them. If they chase a Nid, round up the rest of the team and grab dragon. Chances are Nid is leading them into a trap, which means the enemy team is occupied trying to kill your chaser.
7) If you make a bad call, realize your team will no longer follow you. It sucks, but it's reality.

Good luck!

Lord Puppy Fury

03-18-2013

Earn your "Nice and Competent" guy badge early. Be someone people want to play with and listen to. Be polite, use the manners your mother hopefully beat into your head, use humor, be liberal with the compliments, be positive.

Be the team cheer leader, therapist, and surrogate mother. Most League players have their fair share of mental instabilities and maturity issues. A calm, sane, peppy, mature voice carries a lot of weight.

Suss out the mood of your team. A sulky ADC generally needs to be told he's the special-est little Graves to ever run around Summoner's Rift. A depressed Garen who wants to surrender at the first sour team fight generally needs a good stiff pep-talk and the number of a suicide hotline. Learn how to read people and adapt accordingly. The bonus is this skill translates into real life as well.

Win your lane. There's little incentive for the team to listen to someone three deaths in the hole. Support and jungle have the hardest time doing this since a lot of their success in contingent upon the ADC and the entire team respectively, but it can be done anywhere.

If you're in the jungle, know your buff and objective timers. Nothing cements your status as Guy I Want to Listen To better than being able to accurately predict respawns for critical camps like dragon or blue for mid.

Ward. He who wards shows he cares. If you're the support, pink ward (but anyone can pink ward too). Buy two wards every time you return to base. Buying more hurts your own wallet too much but two is the ideal number I've found.