[Guide] Assassadin: The New Standard For Void Walker

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2009

I'm honestly just in love with the 5 move super combo.

Deathfire -> Ignite -> Teleport -> Null Sphere -> Force Pulse

Kassadin always had that feeling of not really having an Ultimate ultimate. It's something you use constantly, as opposed to something you save for the exact right moment. 5 move super combo kinda gives Kassadin that same feeling of blowing through your long cooldowns that other champions have.

JunkRamen

12-06-2009

I'd say a blink that does damage and is on a 6/5/4 second cooldown is totally "ultimate" worthy :P

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkRamen View Post
I'd say a blink that does damage and is on a 6/5/4 second cooldown is totally "ultimate" worthy :P
It's not a Karthus or Gangplank or Nasus ultimate. It's spammy. Infact, it's the most spammy ultimate in the game.

I think of it as a really really really awesome standard ability that just so happens to only have 3 ranks in it.

The point is, you don't 'waste' your ultimate, with Kassadin. You don't save it for the exact right moment. If anything, Force Pulse requires more build up then Riftwalk, it's always felt 'more' like a ultimate offensive spell to me.

It's just an opinion.

The 5 spell combo, however, is still freaking awesome if you can use it right.

congalong

12-06-2009

Good stuff Senate, I still run into problems of forgetting I actually have deathfire but working on that

Regarding runes, would you say that straight up health runes are better or the health/level runes? I think someone did the math that for quints, the straight up healths are better but for runes, health/level works out better.

I'm currently running Mag Pen for Reds, health/lvl on yellows, undecided on blues, and straight up health for quints.

The Senate

12-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by congalong View Post
Good stuff Senate, I still run into problems of forgetting I actually have deathfire but working on that

Regarding runes, would you say that straight up health runes are better or the health/level runes? I think someone did the math that for quints, the straight up healths are better but for runes, health/level works out better.

I'm currently running Mag Pen for Reds, health/lvl on yellows, undecided on blues, and straight up health for quints.
Personally, I feel that max health are always better then health per level. The early game sets you up for the late game. If your early game goes nice and smooth, you could just itemize more health.

That's why I reccomend max health for Kassadin. Possible half max health/half max mana. It's not as necessary to get magic penetration anymore like it was in Beta, since there are plenty of items that support it.

I think in my old guide I said something to the extent of: Always go for runes that help you do the best possible for early game. If you do good early game, you can just spend gold on late game stats. Simple as that.

JunkRamen

12-06-2009

I set my page up to have 3 mana/5s (with cheapo t1 runes because I wanna buy more champs) and I found the difference to be amazing. I went from having to wait for mana to get a few more last hits before getting chalice/boots to being pretty comfortable in terms of mana. Granted, I haven't laned against very much hard harassment yet.

The Senate

12-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkRamen View Post
I set my page up to have 3 mana/5s (with cheapo t1 runes because I wanna buy more champs) and I found the difference to be amazing. I went from having to wait for mana to get a few more last hits before getting chalice/boots to being pretty comfortable in terms of mana. Granted, I haven't laned against very much hard harassment yet.
Nice!

Remember that Chalice effectively DOUBLES your mana regen if you have no mana. Every little bit counts! Kassadin can gets a huge benefit from Chalice because of how easy it is the drain your mana reserve with Riftwalk.

Kelin

12-06-2009

Rod of Ages is still the way to go for me. The combined amount of health/mana/AP is unchallenged when you buy it and gets better every minute. Deathfire grasp, altho a nice item, doesn't give you the MUCH needed health or mana early game. The mana reg will cover the extra mana part, but does not give you the needed health.
The increased health comes too late in your build. I have a fair amount of tier 3 health runes yet that area is way underpowered.

Catalyst isn't as strong as before, but it's sufficient and if you RUSH (=20 minutes with 1 kill easily doable or 2 assists) Rod of Ages (you don't profit as much from the leveling bonus but it is worth it) your total amount of mana is enough for 2 teamfights and after that your health is down anyway. After that you just get your deathfire grasp, it comes in time, it gives you a small passive boost to mana reg and the extra nuke.

My mid/late game is way stronger, more ap, and above all... more health and mana. Deathfire effectivily covers the gap mejai leaves.

JunkRamen

12-06-2009

Have you played with the new Haunting Guise at all? It looks like it would be a pretty good early-mid game item if the other team has Mercuries or anything of the sort, but I don't know how it'd fit it without pushing DFG way back.

JunkRamen

12-07-2009

Haven't had access to my gaming computer but I've been theorycrafting some builds lately.

Basically the builds I see going up to midgame (~7.5kg) are:

Chalice/Boots/DFG/Rylai or Void
Catalyst/Boots/DFG/(Upgrade to RoA)/Chalice or Blasting Wand
Tears/Boots/DFG/(Tears->Archangel)/Blasting Wand
Chalice/Boots/DFG/Haunting Guise/Codex
Haunting Guise/Boots/DFG/Codex/Blasting Wand or Chalice, depending on mana

Compared to your current build (the first listed), Catalyst -> RoA if you want to be tanky (I feel Kassadin doesn't need to be). RoA build would be really slow if you're aiming to get DFG asap after boots (which is ideal). In the end you'll have more HP and mana than the current build. If the plan is to be a very strong mid-game hero (which I find ideal for Kassadin) then this probably isn't the way to go, but you'll be more survivable later. If you can manage without chalice, you can go Blasting Wand instead and have an AP lead on the current build at 7.5kg.

Tears -> Archangels for a good boost to mana/damage, but you'll probably struggle early-mid game while building it up. Again, you'll be weaker mid game. If you can manage somehow to get another mana item like Zhonya's or something from here, you'll have a ton of AP in the end game. Probably impractical and when you OOM you'll probably have to run back unless you get a chalice.

I've been itching to try out the Chalice/Boots/DFG/Guise/Codex build. You'll have a disadvantage in AP, but -35% cooldowns and 20 magic penetration once you get there. I can already see a problem with this build in that Force Pulse isn't exactly a spell limited by CD anyway, but getting more silences off can be really good.

With enough MP5 runes you may be able to switch out of chalice and go Beads + Charm/Boots/DFG/Guise/Codex/Blasting Wand -> (Zhonya/Rylai) or Book (Void Staff) instead and help out with the AP problem, but the question would then be if -35% CD's is really worth it. Guise/Codex builds may just be better for the pure casters instead...

Wow, that was a mouthful. I think I'm going to repost this as general caster item build discussion.