[Guide] Assassadin: The New Standard For Void Walker

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2009

Assassadin

Because of the recent nerfs to Soulstealer and Cataylst, I've found it nessesary to rethink how I play Kassadin. If any have read my old guide, they'd know I aggressively pushed a pure HP/MP/AP build. I also mentioned that it wasn't vastly superior, but still better, then a tradtional caster build.

Times have changed.

This is an outline of a build I'm experimenting with.

=== STARTING ITEMS

Meki Pendant + 2 Health Pots

EARLY ITEM CHECKLIST (Get in order.)

Chalice of Harmony
Boots of Speed
Fiendish Codex
Kage's Lucky Pick
Deathfire Grasp

=== MIDDLE ITEM CHECKLIST

*Defensive (if you need to survive more)
Rylai's Staff
Sorcerer's Shoes/Boots of Mobility

-- or --

*Offensive (if you need to hurt more)
Void Staff
Boots of Mobility

=== LATE ITEM CHECKLIST

Void Staff/Rylai's (whichever you didn't get)

*AP (if you need yet even more hurting)
Zhonya's Ring

-- or --

*Physical (if you need to be helping towers more efficently)
Lich's Bane

********** SUMMONER SPELLS / MASTERIES *************

Spells

Teleport
Ignite

Masteries

Burning Embers
Archaic Knowledge

===

Basically? Once you get Deathfire, your offensive spike goes from three spells to five spells. It's the 5 hit combo.

Open up with Deathfire and Ignite, proceed to do your regular Kassadin combo. It's some of the quickest most surprising damage you could possibly give.

tl;dr version

Assassadin = Kassadin with Deathfire and specced Ignite on an AP/Magic Penetration hybrid build, effectively making him the most dangerous burst damage in the game. Hands down. If you though he was crazy before, you ain't see nothin' yet.

Also, please see my out-of-date AP Spike Kassadin guide for more information about the champion himself.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ighlight=SPIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senate View Post
Some of the key parts of the AP/Tank hybrid Kassadin were recently nerfed. Catalyst as a smaller mana/health return per level, Soulstealer has a cap on the mana stolen on kills, and Force Pulse got it's 1:1 AP ratio nerfed. That brings about a couple 'issues' with AP/Tank.

1. It's harder to compete with champions using health/mana regen items for early game. Catalyst's mana/health bonuses where cutting it close with Kassadin's early game management as it was, now it's going to be even more difficult.
2. Soulstealer lost it's orignial passive of stealing all the target's mana on kill. This was a huge part of how Kassadin sustained himself without any mana regen itemization. Not only that, Soulstealer now requires max stacks to even get the nerfed mana return. Soulstealer is now an item of opportunity, not a necessity.
3. With Force Pulse at .8 AP, Kassadin's powerful spike has been mildly lowered, which hurts hybrid builds more then it hurts higher AP builds.

Now of course I'm not saying that AP/Tank Kassadin is no longer viable. In fact I'm sure you could still stack Rod of Ages on him and bust open skulls. I feel bad about aggressively pushing the one pure Kassadin build, so this one isn't just a radical rethinking of the champion, it's also for all of those people who wanted a bit more flavor.

Here's some of the positive side effects of going for mana regen as opposed to high max mana.

1. You become more cast happy. Suddenly wasting a couple spells on minions isn't so bad. The result of this is that you actually get an increased income.
2. Harassment becomes more appealing. With Chalice, you can always be chucking offensive spells down your lane. It's not big deal, that mana will come back.
3. Less trips back to the fountain.

Together, Deathfire and Chalice give you perfect mana management. A golem buff here and there, and you're set for the game.

Another important thing is Rylai's. Without an early Rod of Ages, Kassadin is squishy. That Giant's Belt is going to be more and more tempting as the game goes on, there's no reason you can't partake in it.

JunkRamen

12-04-2009

Is the mana regen bonus really worth it on chalice as a first item?

Charmicarmicarmicat

12-04-2009

Under no circumstances. Make catalyst instead.

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkRamen View Post
Is the mana regen bonus really worth it on chalice as a first item?
Experience says yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmicarmicarmicat View Post
Under no circumstances. Make catalyst instead.
I invented that.

Catalyst and Soulstealer both got nerfed. Kassadin needs to evolve into new styles of mana management. Deathfire Grasp + Chalice gives Kassadin as much as a smart player needs.

Tarion

12-04-2009

Thanks. Will give this a go. Ignite took me by surprise a bit. I assume you use it early game as much as possible for the 10 free AP?

As for Chalice > Catalyst, its an interesting thing. Makes sense, given the nerfs to Cat, and I think it was probably even viable before them. It works best for characters who can burn through their Mana, and none do it better than Kass.

Xnath

12-04-2009

The prefer cleanse over teleport. Cleanse + riftwalk is sweet.

Tarion

12-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnath View Post
The prefer cleanse over teleport. Cleanse + riftwalk is sweet.
That was my thought too. Tried it true to the original post, and dominated. Died a bit through silly mistakes though. Hard to tell how it worked when my team steamrolled the enemy.

Rhork

12-04-2009

I can't say I've ever disagreed with you The Senate. You've often lead me into new insight into kassidin with your posts here. With the new changes to the kassidin build, changes to the play style also has to happen. You become a little squishier because you do lack catalyst now. And your right, "times have changed".

I've also played the new mejai's on him. but without catalyst my fearless play style has to sit on the back burner if I use that item. Deathfire grasp is OMG awesome on this guy.

I've also had success still using catalyst even though it was nerfed. I have trouble changing my play style now with him. I still feel the security of the extra health even though it isn't there, causing unexpected losses in fights. The deathfire grasp does have 12 mana regen on it also. do you really need to stack that and chalice?

It's all speculation on my part. I still miss the caster/tank hybrid kassidin was... I wonder if there is still a way to pull it off. I do know, rod of ages hasn't changed even though catalyst did. It might be feasible to finish the rod after deathfire grasp. I'll keep experimenting.

I'll be trying new builds also and posting them here.

Assassadin is a nice concept and really good if played right. I still have to adjust my play style though, but I have tried it out and seen the potential.

Thanks for helping out the community The Senate.

ralphinator

12-04-2009

Sheen
Sorc Boots/Merc Treads
Rod of Ages
Rylais
Lichbane
Zhonyas

Void Staff if necessary. I haven't tried out Deathfire Grasp yet, can't comment on it. Sheen gives you mana and AP, great for kass, but the extra attack damage is amazing. Rift walk>Autoattack>Force Pulse>Autoattack>Null sphere>Autoattack>Rift Walk>Autoattack. Try it out in a game, don't take my word for it.

PineappleThis

12-04-2009

Thanks for this, I've been struggling with Kassadin in my past few games, it really felt like he wasn't able to achieve a role to really help the team. I was focused on getting survivability items which then hindered my killing power.