[Guide] Playing AP Cardmaster (Twisted Fate) the 'Right Way'

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Veritas

The Council

08-03-2009

I'm going to be pretty basic here. This is the correct way to play Twisted Fate, no doubts about it.

[SKILLS]

Q <Wild Card> -
An unbelievable farming/harassing ability with an extremely short cooldown. It scales with AP amazingly well (1:1). It also has a relatively low mana cost, making it easy to spam early game. Cardmaster will shoot out 3 cards in a 45 degree cone in front of him. The hitbox can be a little bit off, so it'll take some time to get used to what can hit and what can't.

W <Pick a Card> -
Using this ability gives you a random card:
Blue: Deals extra magic damage, lets you pick another card for free (auto).
Red: Deals extra splash magic damage and slows target.
Gold: AoE stun and deals a good amount of damage.
It is important to note that if you cancel an auto attack with pick a card up, you can effectively 'store' a card for a short period of time, allowing you to have a stun or slow ready to kill someone. This ability is AMAZING at early game harassment. It's manacost is also extremely low. You can spam it over and over at level 1 without ever having to get mana.

E <Gate> -
Using gate will teleport Twisted Fate to any targeted location on the map. It has a fairly short cooldown. Using Gate while Cardmaster's Destiny is active will cause him to teleport twice as fast, making ganks easily possible. Much like furion from Dota, when you use gate an animation will play for everyone in the game wherever you click, so make sure you teleport to a safe location. Gate is also Cardmaster's 'infinite mana' skill. Every time it's up, you can pill back to base and gate straight back.

R <Destiny> -
Destiny is one of the most powerful ultimates in the game. Using it will make everyone on the map slow, along with revealing all enemy champions. Remember, there's no harm in using it to actually reveal where the enemy is. If you have a few missing and are worried where they are, don't be afraid to use your ultimate. Doing so can save your team's life!

[SKILL BUILD]

1. Pick a Card
2. Gate
3. Wild Cards
4. Wild Cards
5. Wild Cards
6. Destiny
7. Wild Cards
8. Pick a Card
9. Wild Cards
10. Pick a Card
11. Destiny
12. Pick a Card
13. Pick a Card
14. Gate
15. Gate
16. Destiny
17. Gate
18. Gate

<Explanation> -
Early on, you really only need one point in both gate and Pick a Card. The cooldown on Gate is short enough that it's up as soon as you run out of mana, making it easy to pill back to base and gate straight back. Leveling pick a card past level 1 makes it cost more mana, and since the damage is negligible (until you get more AP) it's just good for the slow and stun. Wild Cards is maxed early on. It's what you're going to be using over and over. Once Wild Cards hits 5, you should be able to kill a creep wave in a hit.

[ITEMS]

1. Doran's Ring

Cardmaster is pretty squishy, so the bonus health and the mana regen for pick a card spam really helps. A good investment.
2. Various consumables
You shouldn't really need much health regen in a lane. A single health pot will do for the most part.
3. Sorcerer's Shoes/Boots of Swiftness
Either one will work. It's completely up to personal preference.
3. Lichbane
Getting a lichbane pretty much fits Cardmaster perfectly. He gets movement speed which helps for chasing, a huge chunk of ability power, and a bigger mana pool. The passive also works with Pick a Card, making those blue/red/gold cards hit EXTREMELY hard.
4. Zhonya's Ring/Banshee's Veil
After you get your Lichbane, the next item is up to you. Banshee's veil is nice if the enemy has alistar/ashe/morgana/ryze/etc., but Zhyonya's Ring will make your cards hit much harder.
[RUNES/MASTERIES/SUMMONERSKILLS]

<Runes> -
A page of vitality or fortitude will do you far more good than AP/cooldowns/regen. I highly suggest taking the time to make that page first. If you don't like being able to take more than 3 hits, then go with something else.

<Masteries> -
Utility is your friend. You should be able to get 24 percent shorter cooldowns, letting you gate more often and toss those wild cards faster!

<Skills> -
Flash. There is no question. Don't even consider anything else. If you don't take flash, you're not playing the game right. Sorry. As for your second skill, clairvoyance and heal work well. You SHOULD be taking clairvoyance if your team doesn't have 3 already.

[HOW TO PLAY]

<Levels 1-7> -
Early game you should focus on last hitting those creeps to farm up enough gold to pick up your level 2/3 boots. Use pick a card to easily last hit and harass enemy heroes. Remember, you can cancel your attack with Pick a Card up, and store a card. If you're in a hard lane like Morgana/Ryze, don't worry about harassing as much. Don't start using Wild Cards until it's at least level 3. It won't be very cost-effective before then. It's also very easy to dodge, so it's best if you spam it on creeps. When you run out of mana, go ahead and pill to buy and immediately gate back to your lane.

As soon as you get Destiny, you can set up for some very easy ganks. If you port in behind an enemy in a brush, they won't be able to see it (unless they're actually watching the location). Pop your ult, and have your allies assist you in taking them down. Don't worry about necessarily getting kills this way. Your main job will be pushing, not ganking.

<Levels 8-18>
At this point you can pretty much teleport across the entire map and push any lane. Farming will be an easy task, since you can take an entire wave of creeps in one Wild Cards cast. You should be able to easily take out tier 1 towers, and even hold back entire team pushes with Wild Cards spam. Even though it's easy to dodge, it's useable over and over and you can get an enemy team down to 1/2 health before they even reach a tower.

Remember, your job is to make sure every lane is pushed - if you can take down a tower yourself without dying, then do it! Don't be afraid to use Destiny to reveal where the enemy is.

More to come later.

StaticFrog

08-03-2009

There is no "right way" to play any hero.

FalseMyrmidon

08-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFrog View Post
There is no "right way" to play any hero.
There are definitely right ways and wrong ways.

StaticFrog

08-03-2009

No there isn't.
There may be better ways to play a hero, like playing annie as a nuker will be much better than playing her as a tank.
But there is no right or wrong way to play a hero.

Veritas

The Council

08-03-2009

I'm pretty sure playing Annie as a tank would be the 'wrong' way to play her.

Moncaz

08-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFrog View Post
No there isn't.
There may be better ways to play a hero, like playing annie as a nuker will be much better than playing her as a tank.
But there is no right or wrong way to play a hero.
Absolutely foolish.

Adonis

Emissary of the League

08-06-2009

ihatehumans got warmogs armor on Annie last night.
I e-slapped him.

Julien

08-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
I e-slapped him.

haha now thats good. I think we should all enjpy CM now...because at launch (or sooner) he will be no more :/

Engarde

Adjudicator

08-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
I e-slapped him.
Bah. Warmogs is applicable on anyone. Even more so if you get Force a Nature, Atmas, and a couple more warmogs.

Elmentar

08-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engarde View Post
Bah. Warmogs is applicable on anyone. Even more so if you get Force a Nature, Atmas, and a couple more warmogs.
QFT.

Personally, I like my card to be a god. So I use his incredible farming potential to get 2-3 warmogs with an Atmas Impaler, then Phantom dagger if time allows it. Never die again. And show cocky AP cards that try to solo you how card flinging is really done.

But whatever, just my 2 cents.