What happened to "The Journal of Justice"?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

marzgamingmaster

03-17-2013

So, I'm one of those weirdos who REALLY likes the background information in his games, and when I clicked on the lore tab on the menu screen, it took me to a long-defunct page that's almost impossible to find anywhere else. It's called (believe it or not...) The Journal of Justice", and it was presented as an in-character presentation of all the goings on in the game. Like, when a champion received a re-working, (like Karma is right now...) they did an article about how they had been afflicted with a "withering curse". It just made a cute explanation of the goings on in the game. And it gave all the stupid background info that I love. Like, Morgana runs a bakery chain out on Noxus. Isn't that crazy?! Just, that they had actually put enough thought into her personality to have her employed outside the league. Plus, it went into dynamics of how the champions interacted outside of our little matches. Blitzcrank punched Singed in his gonads. Evilyn and Twisted Fate had a fling, but Ev broke it off. Amumu and Annie are friends, in an adorably child-like fashion. Rammus and Blitzcrank have discovered more common ground than Rammus and Twitch did. And one of the reporters was almost stabbed to death by Shaco. All these things had little relevance to the GAME game (besides in-lore announcements for characters and skins...), but they were delightful to read about, especially the parts that people could send e-mails in and get responses from either the League themselves on their protocols, or from their favorite (or least favorite...) champs on burning questions they've always had. I know I've got some things I'd still like to know, and I know that they provided their in-lore reason for shutting down the newsletter (A big conspiracy that spanned the entire thing, very cool...) But I'm so sad that I've read the whole thing, and now there won't be anymore. I don't know, maybe it doesn't have to be as big of a thing as it was before, but I would LOVE to see some sort of weekly release, even if just fun facts, or even something as crazy as a Q&A with different Champs. I'm just saying, I think the end result would be worth the time and effort required to make it work. Frankly, that's the main reason I like this game more than DotA 2. I'm not playing as the dragon knight cleverly named "Dragon Knight". I'm playing as Shivana! She's got flare, personality, her own motivations, hopes and dreams that drive her! She's her own person, and that makes her FAR more rateable and interesting to me than random dragon-type-person #48234902. I can't be the only one who thinks that. And I think, if Riot really works that edge, it could attract even more players to the only Arena-fighter game I would touch with a 100-foot-pole.

Melancholy Exile

03-17-2013

You do realise that you're playing as Davion, the Dragon Knight, right?

The noble dragons slayer who was willing to set aside his quest, and allow his aged quarry a peaceful death, until the dragon he sought bade him put it out of its misery and essentially granted him its power by merging their spirits together?

Anyway:

Short answer: There were a lot of behind-the-scenes problems in making the Journal of Justice and the guys at Riot decided they would rather discontinue the thing, and work on other ways of delivering the lore, than continue to fight with the system they had in place.

marzgamingmaster

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
You do realise that you're playing as Davion, the Dragon Knight, right?

The noble dragons slayer who was willing to set aside his quest, and allow his aged quarry a peaceful death, until the dragon he sought bade him put it out of its misery and essentially granted him its power by merging their spirits together?

Anyway:

Short answer: There were a lot of behind-the-scenes problems in making the Journal of Justice and the guys at Riot decided they would rather discontinue the thing, and work on other ways of delivering the lore, than continue to fight with the system they had in place.
... Ok, I'll admit, I did NOT actually know that. That's actually a pretty cool story... I hereby consider myself enlightened. Sorry for the assumption.
And also, thank you for the info. I was just wondering why they haven't put a new system in place yet. Like, the lore page for each champion is fine, I guess, and it spices up the world a bit, but I just wish they did a little more. Like I said, I'm kind of a weirdo on things like this, but I can't be the only one.

Melancholy Exile

03-17-2013

I think we have to presume that the things we've seen recently (Quinn and Zac's previews and the current material on Freljord) are examples of all of their work finally bringing new material to light. It's taken an awfully long time, with a notable lack of communication in the meantime, but it's starting to feel as though we may well be getting somewhere.

As for the DotA stuff:

I'm not really the biggest fan of a lot of DotA 2's lore, or its lack of a developed setting like LoL's Runeterra, but it still has some interesting characters and ideas. If you want to have a look into any of their stuff, this is a decent place to go.

The way that DotA 2 names its heroes is a bit odd. Some characters, like Dragon Knight, are referred to by their titles, while others like Mirana are referred to by name instead. Then again, it's a little easier than calling her Priestess of the Moon.