Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Game] [High] Advice for balancing Rumble to Rioters

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rumble Bot

03-16-2013

I play him a lot, and yes he needs a nerf; but given the champion's low popularity this isn't the way to go about doing it because you don't wanna throw a champion into the gutter and not deal with it because not enough people play him it he she it whatever.

Removing the burst from the Equalizer is an idea indeed; it forces Rumble into having to synergize with his team in order to maximize his damage instead of derping his missiles out as he pleases willy nilly. The current ratio is takes too much damage away from the ult. I do agree wholly with the fact it needs to be nerfed in terms of the potential it has to snowball, but not like this.

Now doing a few calculations:

The current nerf hits Rumble's ult at all levels even if they stand in his ult for the full 5 seconds.

Now the average person sits in the ult for around 2 seconds. This ends up in Rumble having around 30 - 40% damage knocked off his total damage he used to do.

To make gameplay more interesting and to entice more people into playing Rumble given he's already pretty unpopular is to reward them for landing better ults and managing to keep people in it with his team.

Taking away the burst is probably a good idea to do it, but I'd personally recommend changing the AP multiplying factor on the DoT from 0.3 to 0.9 (or a 1:1 if you're feeling generous to me :3c).

Why?

At 3 seconds or less, this means Rumble does less damage than he usually did pre-nerf, and by a reasonable amount, as well as knocking off a lot of his obnoxious base lvl 6 damage and forces him to build AP to be able to contribute.

By sitting in Rumble's ult for 4 seconds or more he now deals around the same damage as he used to do, maybe a little more, so for the full 5 seconds you're actually rewarded for being able to keep anyone in your ult for that long.

Quite simply put; he needs something to entice players into playing him even if he is a little strong at the moment, but his ability to snowball from just his burst does kindof need to be removed.

Reason why I'm bothered is because he's not popular at the moment, and nerfing something that Riot won't go back to because nobody plays him enough is not the right way to go about nerfing things.

To make things easy: Here's an easy to digest chart of what I would recommend as a nerf to Rumble's Ult - It rewards him for building risky which means a lot for a melee AP champion, as well as rewarding the player with an insane amount of damage but ONLY if he works with his team.

At the moment the reward is not significant enough for landing an ult (well the reward for playing the champion well has just been hit in the nutsack) and working with your team and the changes simply push more players away from playing this champion.

Yes I have played this champion way too many times.

And thanks for making him... just don't do an Olaf on him, on that note you guys need to rebuff Olaf a tad. Thanks.

PS: This CURRENT nerf doesn't hurt the champion TOO much, but it does hurt the champion in terms of popularity when it's already waning; and riot pls no, do that to Teemo, but not to Rumble. Rumble is already always in bottom 10 in least popular champions monthly in normal games.

Rumble Bot

03-17-2013

Just wanna make sure a Rioter does see this and this get taken into consideration.

Rumble Bot

03-19-2013

Just putting this back up again, given it does explicitly show the calculations in damage output.

Sorator

03-19-2013

If you're giving feedback, and not reporting a bug, then you should use the [Feedback] tag, instead of the [Game/Client] [Minor/Major/Critical] tags. And [High] isn't one of our usual tags and doesn't really have any meaning. (If it's an honest mistake, that's fine, now you know; if it was intentionally mislabled to attract Riot attention, then you're more likely to get your ideas read by the wrong people and thus waste their time instead of accomplishing something useful...)

League of Rumble

03-22-2013

This post needs more attention.

MandyMemory

03-22-2013

A .9 ratio. Is that every second? That would be crazy and make him totally OP.

All the current nerf does is encourage you to use Rumble in a situation where someone can hold people in his ult, instead of every game.

I'm also not sure where you're seeing that he lost damage if they stay in for 5 seconds. They took the initial damage and spread it across the dot without lowering it.

Rumble Bot

03-22-2013

Quote:
MandyMemory:
A .9 ratio. Is that every second? That would be crazy and make him totally OP.

All the current nerf does is encourage you to use Rumble in a situation where someone can hold people in his ult, instead of every game.

I'm also not sure where you're seeing that he lost damage if they stay in for 5 seconds. They took the initial damage and spread it across the dot without lowering it.

You didn't read any of the post did you or even look at the calculations.

You know even with a 0.9 OR 1 AP ratio on his DoT on his ult; it's still a nerf to Rumble by removing his intial burst?

You DO know his initial burst has a 0.5 AP ratio right and they've removed it completely?

MandyMemory

03-22-2013

Quote:
Rumble Bot:
You didn't read any of the post did you or even look at the calculations.

You know even with a 0.9 OR 1 AP ratio on his DoT on his ult; it's still a nerf to Rumble by removing his intial burst?

You DO know his initial burst has a 0.5 AP ratio right and they've removed it completely?

Then they raised the ratio on the dot from .2 to .3
It hits 5 times
There's your .5 ratio.
The initial hit for 300, the dot was increased by 60 each of the 5 ticks. That's your 300 damage.

.9 ap ratio gives him a 4.5 total ratio, instead of the 1.5 he has now, or if you meant .9 overall, it's a huge nerf.

Rumble Bot

03-24-2013

Quote:
MandyMemory:
Then they raised the ratio on the dot from .2 to .3
It hits 5 times
There's your .5 ratio.
The initial hit for 300, the dot was increased by 60 each of the 5 ticks. That's your 300 damage.

.9 ap ratio gives him a 4.5 total ratio, instead of the 1.5 he has now, or if you meant .9 overall, it's a huge nerf.

Making arbitrary guesses on damage output without calculating both components of the total damage is not how you do math, nor is it feasible when consider the mobility and escape mechanisms of enemy champions. You've failed to include base damages or even acknowledge them.

Badruk

03-24-2013

IMO Rumble's damage is in a perfect spot, and doesn't really need to be increased (I know it's unlikely for someone to stay in it for the full duration, but 1200 (+150% AP) doesn't really need to be buffed)

Rather than increasing the DoT i think they should make it tick every .5 seconds instead of every second, now you may be thinking "how does this help?", well increasing the rate at which it ticks would mean that Liandry's and Rylai's proc more often meaning enemies are being slowed even more and you are constantly reapplying even more DoT; It also means that more damage will be done before an enemy leaves the area