What am i doing wrong?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nuqqets

03-16-2013

Hey guys and gals
quick info about me
I have been playing league for about 2-3 years now and have been playing ranked more often since the last patch that was said to improve ranked. My highest relative elo was around 1400 and i was in silver 1. I hit a string of bad games and trolling so i am now stuck in silver 4. I've had to report more often and am having constant battles with lol support. One game on march 5th 6 players were kicked from pvp.net servers and i was refused compensation or a loss prevented because i was one of the first to experience the problem, this was on my way out into gold. Am i doing something wrong? any tips or anything for a frustrated silver player?

Pure Celerity

03-17-2013

If you're silver, and you've been playing for 2-3 years.. you probably belong there. Stop thinking about reports, DC's, your teammates, and even winning. and start focusing on getting better. and then you will. I got to silver in about 200 games total, of LoL with no pc game exp before.. not saying thats impressive.. just saying I have excelled in things in life and i promise the only way to get better at anything is if you actively TRY to get better, and dont worry about anything else. hope this helps.

TL;DR Focus on getting better, not winning, and you'll get better and start winning.

Great Pyrenees

03-17-2013

Dont feel bad Nuggets. There is a common misconception that ELO hell does not exist.
How does match making work?
If you win a few games and go on a hot streat Match Making picks much harder opponets for you.
Why? Riot wants ALL players to have a 50% win %.
How does this affect us?
Were playing well, then we get absolutly destoryed by higher ranked players.
Psychologically this pressure can be really hard to handle.

So how do we overcome the MMR which is actually against going up?
You MUST find a good duo/que partner.
Then you MUST win 2 of every 3 matches in perpituity.

My advice to you, make a good duo que friend. Go into gold together.

SeCKS Egai

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Celerity View Post
If you're silver, and you've been playing for 2-3 years.. you probably belong there. Stop thinking about reports, DC's, your teammates, and even winning. and start focusing on getting better. and then you will. I got to silver in about 200 games total, of LoL with no pc game exp before.. not saying thats impressive.. just saying I have excelled in things in life and i promise the only way to get better at anything is if you actively TRY to get better, and dont worry about anything else. hope this helps.

TL;DR Focus on getting better, not winning, and you'll get better and start winning.
You need to worry less about your teammates play and more on your own. You have next to no control over your teammates, while you have full control over your own actions.

Silver has gotten progressively "better" as the seasons go. I'd say the reason it's harder to climb out of silver these days is that the player base has improved in general. I remember when warding was undervalued and hardly seen as a regular practice outside of the highest elos. Now it's common place.

I've had some really amazing games, and some pathetically horrible ones. What matters is playing well consistently over time. Ultimately your goal should be to do what it takes to give your team the advantage. Even a quality support can very well decide the difference between a win or loss.

nuqqets

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeCKSx View Post
You need to worry less about your teammates play and more on your own. You have next to no control over your teammates, while you have full control over your own actions.

Silver has gotten progressively "better" as the seasons go. I'd say the reason it's harder to climb out of silver these days is that the player base has improved in general. I remember when warding was undervalued and hardly seen as a regular practice outside of the highest elos. Now it's common place.

I've had some really amazing games, and some pathetically horrible ones. What matters is playing well consistently over time. Ultimately your goal should be to do what it takes to give your team the advantage. Even a quality support can very well decide the difference between a win or loss.
i wouldnt post in here if i wasnt have consistent troubles that were outside forces, i have read introductions to getting better, watched matches, and done many other things to improve my skills, and judging that my elo was high and that my matches were consistently well done, on the rare occasions i do do poorly i rewatch my matches to see what i did wrong. and my win rate was well above 50%, but unfortunately i hit some bad strings and now i am out of my skill level. And to address the focusing on getting better and not winning, i have never focused on wins i have focused always on helping my team, my assists are much higher than my kills and deaths. IT seems that im fighting a losing battle.

SeCKS Egai

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuqqets View Post
i wouldnt post in here if i wasnt have consistent troubles that were outside forces, i have read introductions to getting better, watched matches, and done many other things to improve my skills, and judging that my elo was high and that my matches were consistently well done, on the rare occasions i do do poorly i rewatch my matches to see what i did wrong. and my win rate was well above 50%, but unfortunately i hit some bad strings and now i am out of my skill level. And to address the focusing on getting better and not winning, i have never focused on wins i have focused always on helping my team, my assists are much higher than my kills and deaths. IT seems that im fighting a losing battle.

Let's take a look at your last 10.

In the jungle, you're better off building madred's instead of spirit on most champs. Madred's offers some early armor and some extra damage from the proc and you can then focus on core items. Right now, I think hec is the only one I build spirit stone on because I actually build a spirit stone on these days since elder lizard is worth building on him, at least for now.

Building spirit of the ancient golem and merc treads defeats the purpose, tenacity doesn't stack. (vi game)

Don't be afraid to point out team comps to your team in champ select - a lot of those losses showed your team at a disadvantage right from the champ select.

I went down in huge losing streaks from siv 3 to siv 5, and made it back to siv 4 pretty quick before taking a break.

You have little control over your teammates, but you can observe how they react to your actions. If winning was a simple as not doing bad as an individual, a lot of us would have more wins. A lot of the time, you've got to go beyond that.

nuqqets

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeCKSx View Post
Let's take a look at your last 10.

In the jungle, you're better off building madred's instead of spirit on most champs. Madred's offers some early armor and some extra damage from the proc and you can then focus on core items. Right now, I think hec is the only one I build spirit stone on because I actually build a spirit stone on these days since elder lizard is worth building on him, at least for now.

Building spirit of the ancient golem and merc treads defeats the purpose, tenacity doesn't stack. (vi game)

Don't be afraid to point out team comps to your team in champ select - a lot of those losses showed your team at a disadvantage right from the champ select.

I went down in huge losing streaks from siv 3 to siv 5, and made it back to siv 4 pretty quick before taking a break.

You have little control over your teammates, but you can observe how they react to your actions. If winning was a simple as not doing bad as an individual, a lot of us would have more wins. A lot of the time, you've got to go beyond that.
Thanks for the advice ill take a look at my jungle builds a bit better, i appreciate the help!

Azellos

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Pyrenees View Post
Dont feel bad Nuggets. There is a common misconception that ELO hell does not exist.
How does match making work?
If you win a few games and go on a hot streat Match Making picks much harder opponets for you.
Why? Riot wants ALL players to have a 50% win %.
How does this affect us?
Were playing well, then we get absolutly destoryed by higher ranked players.
Psychologically this pressure can be really hard to handle.

So how do we overcome the MMR which is actually against going up?
You MUST find a good duo/que partner.
Then you MUST win 2 of every 3 matches in perpituity.

My advice to you, make a good duo que friend. Go into gold together.
Imo this is misleading. If your on a win streak, say you win 5 games in a row, your MMR will be relatively higher than it was 5 games ago. So... yah, your getting matched against harder opponents, not because Riot wants us all to suffer, but because logically doing better=higher ranking=better opponents.

And ELO Hell really doesn't exist. Sure, lower league play is super annoying, i've been there. I've also helped several of my friends get from bronze to high silver/gold, by both duoing and teaching them. The way to do well in lower ELO is to not rely on your team, and carry 1v5. (don't rage though, just don't get caught by their mistakes). It's not as hard as it sounds- people at that level of play usually don't know how to cs, build, or play the game all that well. My friend who just got into silver says that the average cs at the end of each of his games rarely gets past 100, most people just don't focus on it. But getting 50-100 more cs than anyone else is the equivalent of getting 2-5 more champ kills... which is all that you need to carry.

The champs i found were easiest at that level of play were long-range champs who can safely do a lot of damage, such as lux and cait. Very hard champs to kill, very strong as carries.

Vi is also a very strong champ, i see you play her. I reccomend spirit stone on her actually- spirit of the lizard gives her godly damage if you get it early game. Madred's razor just isn't as useful, especially since spirit stone upgrades to very useful items compared to lantern. My build is usually lizard spirit>warmogs/sunfire/randuins>any tank or damage item you need, considering the 3 listed so far, a wit's end, a cleaver, etc. Lots of good options.