Advice on Mid Items Needed!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cferens

03-16-2013

Hey guys, I have a question revolving two items used in the mid lane: Tear of the goddess and Athene's Unholy Grail.

In Season 2, Unholy Grail, but after some nerfs to the item, and some buffs to Tear, some people have been going tear of the goddess + morellonomicon instead. I'm kind of confused on what to do (especially on champs like Anivia, Syndra, Orianna), building tear + morellonomicon or just athene's. Can somebody please offer their insights on this?

Thanks.

Trrees

03-16-2013

In general, Tear is great for spammy characters like Karthus. Morrelo's is a great, pretty cost efficient item that provides great CDR. On Anivia + Orianna, I think chalice -> athene's is the better choice by far since you're not really going to continue spamming that Q in lane.
Compared to Syndra where you can continuously spam Q to harass/farm, Tear is the better choice. TBH, I think quite a few players even go both Archangels + Athene's.

cferens

03-16-2013

Thanks! Also, I'm not sure if you knew this, but they changed Tear of the Goddess to stack mana when mana is consumed, not when a spell is used. This means that Anivia's ult can be used to build up the passive for the tear, same for singed's Q, etc.

Anyhow, thanks so much for the response! Any other insight would be appreciated.

Trrees

03-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cferens View Post
Thanks! Also, I'm not sure if you knew this, but they changed Tear of the Goddess to stack mana when mana is consumed, not when a spell is used. This means that Anivia's ult can be used to build up the passive for the tear, same for singed's Q, etc.

Anyhow, thanks so much for the response! Any other insight would be appreciated.
While yes you can build up with Anivia's ultimate, its just that Tear of the Goddess really slows down Anivia going into mid game. Tear of the Goddess is a little expensive and then going Archangel's is really inefficient.

It's just my opinion but being able to lane/farm with Chalice or Catalyst for Rod of Ages, is what separates the average Anivia players from great Anivia players. I'd say that ROA is core on Anivia and going Tear is just a waste of gold/time.

On Syndra, it's sort of situational. Tear is when you want to really spam to harass but Chalice is bought when you're facing a bursty AP so it depends on the situation.

cferens

03-16-2013

Thanks for the tips! You seem like an experienced player, what level are you?

cpandarun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2013

It's just Tear of the Goddess doesn't give you any useful stats except mana. So if you're a safe champion ie Anivia Jayce Nidalee someone who can farm while staying out of harms way and stack Tear the it is a strong item because being able to stack tear usually = strong poke. However if you're someone like Annie or Lux going Chalice is more dependable simply because of their skills. It's a decision call if you think that Tear will help you more (mid-late game) then get Tear but if you think that Chalice/Grail will help more(early/mid) game get that.