@RiotNome - I hear you

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bootystrap

03-15-2013

[disclaimer: I'm not a writer/typist/communicator. My flaw in life is the lack of ability to convey complicated or emotionally influenced ideas in a clear, concise manner. TL;DR at the bottom.]

These are only my opinions.
Lets try to keep this positive.

We've learned there will be a new, revamped and (finally!) official ARAM feature. This is awesome and I applaud Riots embrace of community-driven game modes. Those types of things are what keep games like these not only fresh, but redeemable.

Unfortunately this is missing for Dominion, and I for one feel this game mode is picturesque of a *failed* game mode, deplete of Developer interest. Dominion is the second-born son of the once bright-eyed Riot, and it to me seems only natural that the company would try to bring something new and fresh to their already powerful eSports presence with an exciting new mode.

Problem is, we're dead. You shut the door on the metaphorical kids knocking, asking for scraps after dinner time. I myself leveled 1-30 playing Dominion with roughly 3,000 games played (im still bad, but i'm loyal). I learned more about the game in the first 15 levels than I think SR could have taught me. This is the game mode YOU all created, that successfully illustrated and tested teamfight mechanics within the first 20 seconds of the game. Come on guys, that sh*t is awesome!

But over time, we've fallen by the wayside. We were given a spark of hope on the eve of Season 3, and even received a 'few' dominion tweaked items we could call our own. These were only bandages, and did not address the problems the community felt pressing as a whole. I'm not gonna be signing any "Dom Ranked" petitions. I'm not gonna make a "LAWL NURF DA KASSAWIN" threads. Instead I only ask that you acknowledge us once more Nome.
Acknowledge the cursor bugs (laptop ATI cards only (generally) )
Acknowledge balancing issues
Acknowledge the recent arrival of game crippling bugs (capture laser bug)**

I request that above all, you acknowledge that you hear us. It would put the community at ease. The whiners will whine, the batches will batch, but as a whole, a simple "We hear you" would do.

** My last 3 games have had champions afflicted with the laser bug that causes you to uncap friendly bases, as well as have an eye-gouging spell effect tethered to the tower the bug originated from. The tether remains solid from anywhere on the map, and, in a few instances, stealths were visible not literally, but by indication of the gigantic laser of doom.

TL;DR : The bugs are at an all-time high. Had this been SR, you'd have pulled the plug on all servers or hotfixed. We're all dead. Breathe life into these old, dry bones Ezeki- err- RiotNome.

Yeah I failed this thread, I hope one of our more articulate members can elaborate on what they understand me to be saying. I'll always try.

Hamm3rhand

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2013

The problem i think, is that nome (and i suppose his team, that we haven't been introduced to) is in charge of dominion, TT, and ARAM. The problem is with a lack of communication between Nome and his team and us. It is only after the fact that we go OH, THAT was what he's been spending all of his time on instead of fixing bugs or making dominion specific versions of items that work better or nerf OP champs.

for example, there was a large period where we had zero communication from him. It got to the point where myself and others started posting numerous threads in here, GD and on reddit, just to get ANY red to acknowledge our existence. After several months, they revealed the shadow isles TT map, and nome came and started posting those 3 stickies at the top of the forum. We were optimistic, and some changes did go through, if not all that we were looking for.

Then recently he drops off the radar again for a couple of months. Lo and behold, here comes a new map, but for ARAM this time, with a matchmaking queue of its own. and we as a community can go OH, THAT was what he's been doing all this time.

the problem isn't the bugs, its not the timescale, its that nome can't say "hey i'm going to focus on aram for a bit, to the point where even if the most gamebreaking bug in the history of the game is running rampant, is easy to duplicate, and has several videos explaining how to do it online, without hotfixing it." "oh, i mean, we can fix it sure but itll have to wait until the next official patch, which happens to keep getting pushed back. bummer about that huh?" but even if he can't say it, thats what he does.

The thing that really bugs me the most though, is that nome has, in the past, said that if he wanted to make dominion ranked, it would be possible if his team worked on that for a week, doing nothing else. Now, no one was asking him to do that, as i'm sure there's other things that he is doing without us knowing, but when they go and make a brand new map, with a brand new matchmaking queue, that i'm not even sure if people have been pushing that hard for, it kinda seems to the point where other maps, even the non SR ones, are getting prioritized over dominion.

We've been running on hope fumes for a while now nome, we need a refill mighty soon or we are going to get stuck in the middle of the highway in the middle of nowhere.

ZallKlos

03-16-2013

Because we got more communication during the Stealth + Eve & Twitch remake period and it happened overnight.

0shi

03-16-2013

Hamm3rhand, the problem with making a Dominion ranked queue is not a technical one, it's that if they did do it, there wouldn't be enough people playing it for queues to ever pop, this has been re-stated over and over.
The proportion of players who play ranked is pretty miniscule, when you combine that with the already small Dominion population, the queue times would be ridiculous. Riot is not a fan of implementing things they see as not having value for the players.

THAT SAID, there is absolutely no excuse for the continued existence of that ridiculous bug, I cannot believe, even after everything I've seen from Riot's treatment of non-SR maps that this isn't a bigger deal.

Hamm3rhand

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0shi View Post
Hamm3rhand, the problem with making a Dominion ranked queue is not a technical one, it's that if they did do it, there wouldn't be enough people playing it for queues to ever pop, this has been re-stated over and over.
The proportion of players who play ranked is pretty miniscule, when you combine that with the already small Dominion population, the queue times would be ridiculous. Riot is not a fan of implementing things they see as not having value for the players.

THAT SAID, there is absolutely no excuse for the continued existence of that ridiculous bug, I cannot believe, even after everything I've seen from Riot's treatment of non-SR maps that this isn't a bigger deal.
i was trying to find his exact quote, but couldn't do it easily, it was a while back. It was in response to another one of those "brackhar said it was ready to go just flip the switch" threads, in which nome said that it would take a lot of man-hours to set up the queue, apparently it wasn't just an easy thing to do as people were stating at the time.

Now, as far as that having been stated "over and over", doesn't really mean its true. I personally believe that were dominion to get ranked and be promoted in the slightest by Riot, that the small dominion playerbase would experience exponential growth. We experienced this a while back in the DD tourney, normally they draw, what, 150-200 viewers? Riot posts on their facebook that it is happening, and that week we get 5000+ viewers. It is my belief that it is only the severe lack of attention and promotion that keeps our playerbase small, and that if ranked was implemented and promoted then queue times would not be an issue. If a small weekend tournament got a 33x increase in viewership from a single facebook post, imagine if they threw together one of those cinematics and put up a post on the news feed and announcement and reddit AMA about the "new ranked dominion". Our population would probably increase by a hundred-fold overnight.

MMKH

03-16-2013

IMO, the most fun in playing League of Legends is the ability to explore different gameplay methods using the established mechanics. I don't find it fun at all playing SR which originates from DotA meaning that it's more or less the same map that's existed for like a decade. TT and PG are also like other tug-of-war style maps from WC3. Dominion is the most original map Riot has really.

IronAegis

03-16-2013

I agree with the sentiments above, for the most part. This recent cap-laser bug has really discouraged me from the mode, and I'm looking into other options outside of LOL (Smite-Domination for example). I get that we don't receive priority and that SR trumps all, but I have no desire to go back to playing SR ever again. It is too long, too dull, and solo-queue is 80% frustration and 20% fun.

A bug that completely breaks the game mode should have been hotfixed. We should be getting updates on the progress to find a solution, etc. Instead, we have a "We're looking into this" more than a week ago. I've been pretty upbeat and positive about the mode despite its drawbacks (Kassadin, no ranked), but this bug is a clear indicator that Riot isn't willing to step up and try and promote Dominion or even keep the mode functional for us.

Bootystrap

03-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronAegis View Post
A bug that completely breaks the game mode should have been hotfixed. We should be getting updates on the progress to find a solution, etc. Instead, we have a "We're looking into this" more than a week ago.
This is, unfortunately is the source of sadness. I expect ARAM and Sr's popularity to have them on a higher priority when it comes to treatment and attention. What I don't expect is a complete lack of tech support for game breaking bugs. We all remember the Syndra/Blitzcrank TT bug. It broke the game mode and within the hour those champions were disabled, and it resulted in a 3-4hr hotfix. Meanwhile, we're hitting week "2" of this nonsense. If this is how it is, they need to delete this game mode and be done with it. Save the trouble of feigning dismal support for a soon-to-be dead mode.

We're dying of old age here, Nome.

0shi

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamm3rhand View Post
i was trying to find his exact quote, but couldn't do it easily, it was a while back. It was in response to another one of those "brackhar said it was ready to go just flip the switch" threads, in which nome said that it would take a lot of man-hours to set up the queue, apparently it wasn't just an easy thing to do as people were stating at the time.

Now, as far as that having been stated "over and over", doesn't really mean its true. I personally believe that were dominion to get ranked and be promoted in the slightest by Riot, that the small dominion playerbase would experience exponential growth. We experienced this a while back in the DD tourney, normally they draw, what, 150-200 viewers? Riot posts on their facebook that it is happening, and that week we get 5000+ viewers. It is my belief that it is only the severe lack of attention and promotion that keeps our playerbase small, and that if ranked was implemented and promoted then queue times would not be an issue. If a small weekend tournament got a 33x increase in viewership from a single facebook post, imagine if they threw together one of those cinematics and put up a post on the news feed and announcement and reddit AMA about the "new ranked dominion". Our population would probably increase by a hundred-fold overnight.
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain all of the posts regarding the technical problem of getting Dominion ranked going are fairly out of date and the currently standing reason is that of queue times. This would be easier to know for sure if there was more communication .

I absolutely agree that more visibility is the way to get attention, and I strogly believe that it is Riot themselves that is dooming the mode, I just don't think ranked is the only way, or even a particularly effective way of getting that attention.
Personally, I'd like to see just more casual chatter from Riot on the forums and in official releases. Little things like in the Zac announcement, they took the time to put together a couple of paragraphs about his ideal positions in the current SR meta, if we also had something like that for how they think he will play out in TT and Dominion, it would go a long way towards showing people that other maps are relevant to them and cared for.

AlphaFerric

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0shi View Post
The problem with making a Dominion ranked queue is not a technical one, it's that if they did do it, there wouldn't be enough people playing it for queues to ever pop, this has been re-stated over and over.
This is a pretty obvious catch-22. Dominion can't have ranked because of low numbers, and its numbers can not grow without more exposure or a larger competitive scene. Ranked can provide both of those, while paradoxical arguments against it provide next to nothing. I am more okay with hearing "Riot has us prioritized on different projects" than this kind of logic. The thing that bugs me is most though, is I know what it means to put projects on the back burner and forget about them for a while. Typically they get shoved far enough back that they aren't worked on again, they get worked on as a novelty project from time to time (where I think Dom is at), or they somehow become extremely important and are worked on to completion (where I think we all wish it was at).