Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Howling Abyss Feedback and Bugs Go Here!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wicked Trident

03-18-2013

Feedback: Towers still need damage increase. Team tanking at level 3 with no worries or fear of tower is... Like normal damage versus minions, but 300% and splash vs. champions... Tanking towers should be a late game thing, not for level 3s.

Kalinka

03-18-2013

The map is great, some problems I found was that the towers aren't that threatening to the opposing team, their damage and range is a bit low.
Also, when I walk the the health relic, on the mini map it says that the relic is there, but you can't see it. Though when you walk over it, it suddenly appears and then the effect of you receiving it happens. I did receive the relic, its just that sometimes I can't see it.

BlueThingamajig

03-18-2013

I have a fairly moderate problem with the Howling Abyss Map

My Background:
I typically play on lowest settings, and on SR, I get about 60 FPS out of it. My normal ping is also a reasonable ~85. This is on both normal and PBE servers

I'm having serious framerate issues on this new map. On the old Winter Map (Which may have been before the graphics overhaul), I suffered with a framerate of approximately half, and it seemed as if the responsiveness of my character had halved. (Ping was still the same, but it took an absurd amount of time to issue commands and cast spells)

Here on Howling Abyss (Which is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, let's be honest. The details in the background are amazing) I encountered a framerate drop of approximately 22 for the duration of the map. That actually isn't too bad but if my dinky little computer is chugging out and struggling with this, then imagine how well it will render other particle effects in the midst of a 20 FPS drop

Speaking of which
There were times I flat-out COULD NOT SEE particles. Things like Steel Legion Lux's Lucent Singularity were vague at best and completely lost at times. It wasn't just a subjective thing. I ran a side -by-side comparison on SR a second ago, and the Particle effects of her E themselves were not rendering fully. It was a tiny ball of not very bright light instead of a swirling, glittering, shrinking orb.

It was the same with Heimerdinger's Rockets and Kennen's Shuriken. I simply could not see them partially due to them blending into the ground, and partially them not quite rendering completely. I'm not saying I couldn't see them (I saw them in flight, and about where they land), but they were difficult to notice

I don't know what specifically could be causing this. I suspect it has to do with the environmental effects such as the falling snowflakes or the multi-layered background. (Normally 1 layer of SR, but now there's a fully rendered background layer underneath. At least, that's what it looks like to me).

If it would help my framerate, I would like to be able to turn off the ambient particle effects like falling snow. For me, Functionality > Visuals

Edit: And apparently the fog. I realize it would be unfair if some people had fog and others didn't, but I would love to know if not having fog would improve performance

RichardMcNixon

03-18-2013

Quote:
The Aviatrix:
I'm not sure if it's just me... But I feel like the fog of war is not very obvious. I can't really tell if I don't see anybody because there's nobody there or if it's because there's fog obstructing my view.

I feel this way as well. Asked in general chat room if anyone else felt that way and pretty much got the "stfu noob" response (well less harsh, but was just blown off like "duh, no"

Anyhow, i do feel the same way. This is most evident when you're moving and watching the map. People seem to disappear and reappear rather than just fall into the fog or something like on SR. Can be very confusing, especially if an enemy has stealth abilities - can throw you for a loop thinking that they stealthed when they didn't.

---

That and a small suggestion:

When dodge queues are implemented, please make them substantial.
We can't be giving people a 5 minute penalty for dropping because they pulled a random Zilean (who is awesome in ARAM imo) make it so they can't join another ARAM for at least an hour

Thanks!
NIXON

PS - great job on the map - looks fantastic and can't wait til all the lightning and everything is worked out!

PPS - not experiencing bad frame rates like everyone else

RichardMcNixon

03-18-2013

Quote:
Seppala:

Howling Abyss should have surrender open up at 5 minutes. Why would it be 20 minutes when the games are much shorter than Summoner's Rift? I mean, really snowbally games on Proving Ground end in like 15 minutes!

For Queues / Final:

10-15 min surrender
1 hr + dodge penalty
Pre-random bans (lobby is really quick anyways, might as well)
*off the wall idea: No skills / runes

ManWolfAxeBoss

QA Analyst

03-18-2013

Great feedback guys! Thanks for taking the time to post here.

ISSUES

- Games not registering -
Hoping to get this fixed today

- Poor performance -
Currently, the map is not optimized. We will be prioritizing work on this as we get closer to live launch.

- Brush is "off" and hard to see -
Thanks for the feedback. We'll be iterating on this in the upcoming weeks

- Clipping issues -
In the works

- No visual indicator for shop being closed -
Soon (tm)

- Guardian's Horn activation VFX/SFX -
Item still being iterated on, so once final effects are determined we'll be attaching VFX. Thanks for feedback

- FONTAN LAZORZ WHER? -
Yup. We're hoping to get a subtle visual indicator so you can all dive (or not dive) to your heart's content.

- Map zoomed out -
The zoom level is actually the same as current Proving Grounds, which is further out than SR. If you've mostly been playing SR lately then I could understand why it would be a bit jarring.

- Turret size -
Sounds like most of you are enjoying the height but we'll keep a close eye on the gameplay impact these are having.

- "Hole" in the brush
In our backlog.

- Fog of War unreadable -
Thanks for feedback.

Vakabiel

Recruiter

03-18-2013

Add a single point in the very middle that is allowed to be captured ala Dominion style that would give out a buff to the controlling side and minions. It could accelerate the speed of the game and also allow for some pretty awesome comebacks.

Mapache McFly

03-18-2013

Quote:
ManWolfAxeBoss:

- Brush is "off" and hard to see -
Thanks for the feedback. We'll be iterating on this in the upcoming weeks

Maybe it's just me, but the brush looks like some messy white pubes... Sorry :S

Perhaps it would be better if they were similar to those in Snowdown Showdon SR, but with improved graphic details.

Hungarian King

03-18-2013

Just wanted to say you guys did a great job on the map, the details are nice and so are the animations. Keep up the good work

Adilor

03-18-2013

Really liking the map so far. Not going to bother stating things that have already been said multiple times, but I do have one opinion/suggestion, specifically about fog of war. My absolute first impression, after my opening buy and clicking into the halfway bush, was that everything looked visible. There really isn't much discernible difference between visible and fog. Even the bushes look lit up inside when there's no vision into them, which really throws off the instinct of wanting to maintain bush presence.

Other than that, all my complaints and bugs have been covered ad nauseum. The map as a whole is pretty fantastic, and I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally looking forward to finally having a queue for what ends up generally being my most played gametype.