Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Howling Abyss now on PBE!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotCaptainLx

Senior Animator

03-16-2013

Quote:
BooleanCube:

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: With this tech getting in place, can we expect Summoner's Rift turrets being upgraded to have coolest explosion/crumbling animations in the near future?

With Howling Abyss we just started to form a dedicated animation team around our maps and NPCs... and the first task was to create the necessary pipeline for things like destruction or animation on the map in general (the little fuzzy guys are a good example). Now, this animation always has to serve a purpose and can never distract from the gameplay... but I'm sure that players will see more of the likes in the future. Retrofitting our old turrets to do this is technically possible and on our radar, there would be a couple of things we have to solve though. For now my main attention is making HA as cool as possible... and then we'll see, SR turrets are certainly one thing I'd like to address at some point =)

Ombria

03-16-2013

I am super excited for this! Can't wait to try it out!

Splinterheart

03-16-2013

On the subject of maps in general, will SR ever get a music update? It's you know...not all that exciting. :P
The new TT and HA music is muuuuuch better.

notrangerjoe

03-16-2013

Quote:
Brackhar:

It's a tough question honestly, and I'm open to going either direction on this. My instinct says that blind random will probably be the better option, but we can see what people's reaction is once we get the queue up and running. If it's not favored then it's not too difficult a change to revert to the old behavior.

I would much rather have view of the enemy team. People who dodge because of what is on the other team are just as likely to give up and AFK right away (or after a few minutes). I'd much rather still have a few dodgers before games start than have more AFKers (dodgers can only waste 20-60 seconds of your time, AFKers ruin 15+ minutes). I'd also much prefer to know if the game is even worth playing before it starts so I have the option to dodge myself. I hate dodgers as much as the next person but there is rarely a point in playing something like 5 melee vs 5 poke.

exe3

03-16-2013

Quote:
Brackhar:
As for the crumbling yeah, I definitely want to retrofit that onto SR. There are still some polish issues that need to be resolved first though.

And Twisted treeline?

TheEnygma

03-16-2013

I like the fact that we have a map we can nickname "HA". Maybe we should have a map called Old Halls or "OH" and one called "Mountain of Obsidian" or "MOO"

Moffa

03-16-2013

Ranked aram teams???

IanTheRed

03-16-2013

Please let there be areas where you can knock people off the bridge with movement displacing effects.

Silverling

03-16-2013

.... I'm sorry....

It looks beautiful and all....

But it also looks like Ice Crown Citadel from WoW. .__.

And now I can't look at it and think of it the same ever again....

Edit: Though I am excited for an actual ARAM map. :3

IronErro

Recruiter

03-16-2013

Quote:
Brackhar:

It's a tough question honestly, and I'm open to going either direction on this. My instinct says that blind random will probably be the better option, but we can see what people's reaction is once we get the queue up and running. If it's not favored then it's not too difficult a change to revert to the old behavior.

I would like to talk about his mostly. As a frequent ARAM player I would hope that ARAM is kept intact as much as possible. Its what makes ARAMs what they are today. And as someone who almost strictly plays blind pick, I would be extremely upset to see that ARAMs became blind randoms. It just takes a lot of the fun out of it that way. Like someone mentioned, you won't be able to adjust accordingly once you've seen their lineup. Also it does take out a lot of the possibilities of doing the odd builds, which can really only be done if you know the others line up (and still want to be able to win that is xD ). There is also the fact that the queue will take out the largest problem: people seeing the other team and dodging. With the dodge penalties in place people should be much less likely to do that and it should definitely not cause much of a problem as long as the punishment is high enough.

TL;DR Please leave ARAM as in tact as possible, I really think it takes away a lot of what makes ARAM, ARAM, and the problem should be alleviated by the dodge penalties anyway.