Zac was done right!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OriginalA

03-17-2013

I would imagine everyone gets paid. Why would they not? If one champion gets money why would the others not get money? That would seem bias, and the League is not suppose to be bias (they are, but that's corruption and not their official stance on things).

According to AMAs, Alistar could go out and find more minotaurs, but he doesn't in order to not unintentionally lead Noxus to them. Besides, my point with him was that because he is a Champion people listen to what he has to say. This same connection between being a Champion and people listening to them is repeated in Miss Fortune's bio, Janna's bio, (where they are both attempting to use their status as Champions to push their political viewpoints in some degree or another), as well as Draven's bio (where he just shows off and plays to the crowd). It is also seen in the JoJ (issue 7) with Dr. Mundo:

TT: You've amassed a cult following here in Zaun. Romantic interests aside, how do you feel about your fans?

DM: Mundo great role model for kids.

TT: It's been noted by many that Zaun has gained a more favorable political perception since your introduction to the League. Was this your goal?

DM: Mundo keep focused on battle arena. Mundo keeps eyes on prize.

TT: Do you feel like the champions in the League have almost too much power when it comes to deciding some very serious political matters?

DM: Champions only there to fight. Mundo always fight his best.

TT: How do you cope with the responsibility of being a champion?

DM: People can trust Mundo. Mundo brains of operation.

A previous question also states that Mundo now gets funding for his experiments from Zaun rather than from himself.

And in Issue 5 it is reported that the entire city of Zaun supports him even when he thinks it is time to fight Baron 90 seconds into a match. Mundo is flat out commercialized and marketed by simple fact that he is a champion that people have latched onto.

Champions, by simply being Champions, gain a lot of influence.

Finally, yeah, they could still PR smear Zac, but as a Champion Zac could fight back against it. People would recognize him as a Champion of the League rather than just that dangerous experiment that's on the loose. That would give him the opportunity to reason with people and raise awareness. And I agree that he probably doesn't rely on his self image, but if the very people he is trying to protect are trying to get him captured and placed back into a lab then his self image becomes very important. He could be a champion simply as a deterrent to that possible outcome.

Xulsigae

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
I would imagine everyone gets paid. Why would they not? If one champion gets money why would the others not get money? That would seem bias, and the League is not suppose to be bias (they are, but that's corruption and not their official stance on things).

According to AMAs, Alistar could go out and find more minotaurs, but he doesn't in order to not unintentionally lead Noxus to them. Besides, my point with him was that because he is a Champion people listen to what he has to say. This same connection between being a Champion and people listening to them is repeated in Miss Fortune's bio, Janna's bio, (where they are both attempting to use their status as Champions to push their political viewpoints in some degree or another), as well as Draven's bio (where he just shows off and plays to the crowd). It is also seen in the JoJ (issue 7) with Dr. Mundo:

TT: You've amassed a cult following here in Zaun. Romantic interests aside, how do you feel about your fans?

DM: Mundo great role model for kids.

TT: It's been noted by many that Zaun has gained a more favorable political perception since your introduction to the League. Was this your goal?

DM: Mundo keep focused on battle arena. Mundo keeps eyes on prize.

TT: Do you feel like the champions in the League have almost too much power when it comes to deciding some very serious political matters?

DM: Champions only there to fight. Mundo always fight his best.

TT: How do you cope with the responsibility of being a champion?

DM: People can trust Mundo. Mundo brains of operation.

A previous question also states that Mundo now gets funding for his experiments from Zaun rather than from himself.

And in Issue 5 it is reported that the entire city of Zaun supports him even when he thinks it is time to fight Baron 90 seconds into a match. Mundo is flat out commercialized and marketed by simple fact that he is a champion that people have latched onto.

Champions, by simply being Champions, gain a lot of influence.

Finally, yeah, they could still PR smear Zac, but as a Champion Zac could fight back against it. People would recognize him as a Champion of the League rather than just that dangerous experiment that's on the loose. That would give him the opportunity to reason with people and raise awareness. And I agree that he probably doesn't rely on his self image, but if the very people he is trying to protect are trying to get him captured and placed back into a lab then his self image becomes very important. He could be a champion simply as a deterrent to that possible outcome.
Renekton comes to mind as someone who wouldn't get paid. I wonder where the League gets their funding from. Could be a story in that.
Alistar doesn't have a place to be to defend his people and expose Noxia other than the League. Zac does.
Miss Fortune and Janna (to me) seem to be more engaged in a diplomatic means to their ends. Fighting in the League gets them more than if they fought at home. What I get from Zac's lore so far is that he could do more at home than in the League since his body seems to be more his weapon. His physical presence in Zaun being more a benefit than his presence in the League. Not sure if Zaun would fund him.
Being an experiment gone wrong and being a Champ aren't mutually exclusive.

OriginalA

03-17-2013

Renekton is also a prisoner. He isn't given much of a choice.

Caitlyn and Vi also have places to defend yet they find working in the League to be worth their time. Champions are not inside the League 24/7. They spend a substantial, if not the vast majority, of their time outside of the League pursuing their own interests. The exception, of course, are those that either don't have a choice (Renekton, Cho'Gath, Kog'Maw, Brand and the rest of those that are imprisioned within the Institute of War), or those that choose to spend their time there (Kayle chose servitude so her free time is spent doing things for the League outside of the Field, Ryze spends his free time studying the magic of other Champions, Blitzcrank spends his free time being "normal" and running a dating service).

Being a Champion does not monopolize all of your time. He can do both.

And let me ask you this: Who does Zac fight AGAINST? Hmm? Cause the only person that I can think of that he would fight against are 1) the people that created him and tried to recapture him, and 2) people like Jayce and Ziggs whom have previously raided Zaun for their own reasons. Keep in mind that Jayce deliberately joined the League so that he could defend against people who did exactly what he did to Viktor and what Viktor did to him right before then.

And you are correct, they aren't mutually exclusive. However, by being a Champion he can easily talk to massive amounts of people and show them that he is a reasonable being and not any potential threat to them. If he wasn't a Champion his ability to do this would be greatly diminished. It isn't about what he could be; it is about showing people what he is.

Xulsigae

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalA View Post
Renekton is also a prisoner. He isn't given much of a choice.

Caitlyn and Vi also have places to defend yet they find working in the League to be worth their time. Champions are not inside the League 24/7. They spend a substantial, if not the vast majority, of their time outside of the League pursuing their own interests. The exception, of course, are those that either don't have a choice (Renekton, Cho'Gath, Kog'Maw, Brand and the rest of those that are imprisioned within the Institute of War), or those that choose to spend their time there (Kayle chose servitude so her free time is spent doing things for the League outside of the Field, Ryze spends his free time studying the magic of other Champions, Blitzcrank spends his free time being "normal" and running a dating service).

Being a Champion does not monopolize all of your time. He can do both.

And let me ask you this: Who does Zac fight AGAINST? Hmm? Cause the only person that I can think of that he would fight against are 1) the people that created him and tried to recapture him, and 2) people like Jayce and Ziggs whom have previously raided Zaun for their own reasons. Keep in mind that Jayce deliberately joined the League so that he could defend against people who did exactly what he did to Viktor and what Viktor did to him right before then.

And you are correct, they aren't mutually exclusive. However, by being a Champion he can easily talk to massive amounts of people and show them that he is a reasonable being and not any potential threat to them. If he wasn't a Champion his ability to do this would be greatly diminished. It isn't about what he could be; it is about showing people what he is.
This is true, he is a prisoner.
I also think it's a bit odd for them to be in the League when it seems their presence in Piltover would be better suited to their goals, but that's just me. Especially because they might be called away to the League at any moment (or so it seems based on what I've read). Would they be called away at any hour of the day without a notification? Say if they were tracking down a criminal and nearly had the cuffs on him and suddenly were summoned?
I would think Zac would battle against those that put down 'his people,' like bad landlords or corrupt police or unethical scientists etc. Kinda like a Zaun Vi.
Could he also not do that by talking to people in the streets of Zaun? Show them he's a good guy by scaring off a bully or two?

cjb

03-17-2013

I still think that Zac may be an April Fools joke like Lee sin was.

OriginalA

03-17-2013

I got the impression that Champions were called to the Institute of War on a set scheduled and that they were free to do as they pleased, without interference from the League, when it wasn't their turn.

Kinda like Reservists in the military. One weekend a month, two weeks a year... kinda sorta.

The only Champion that seems to be called into matches at random is Ezreal, but that is because his magic arm cannon thing is in tune with Summonering magic and it works like a huge homing beacon. At least, that is how I understood it.

Here's the thing with the PR stuff. If people that the general public acknowledges as an important and authentic leader role says "stay away from this violent and dangerous person. Contact 555-monster catchers and help us get it back into a lab for your own safety. Do not talk to it. Do not approach it. Do not make contact with it. Contact us and then leave immediately." If they do that then the average joe is going to do just that. Zac won't have a chance outside of pure coincidental incidents (like the one you describe, which is like one in a million odds of happening and will still possibly end with the person being saved running away from Zac in fear of his own life). On the flip side, if Zac is a Champion he can ask for an interview from pretty much any major news organization he wants and fairly easily spread the word "hey, I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to help."