Unconventional Supports

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Squippit

03-15-2013

Don't get me wrong, I like to support. (I actually like everything except ADC)

Problem is, whenever I support, I tend to lose more than if I were in another position. A lot more. The supports are just harder for me or maybe I'm doing it wrong or something. I've tried Taric, Soraka, Sona, Zilean, Kayle, Karma... And I don't think I'm 'good' at any of em.

People I enjoy playing are Shen. TF, Galio, Nasus, and Hecarim.... what are some unconventional supports I might be ok with?

Also not sure if this is the forum for this. If it isn't, a forum mod may kindly move it to the appropriate forum <3

KewlFool5281

03-15-2013

Shen
Lux
Nid
Voli
Aniie
Rengar
Voli
Tf
Leesin
Singed

I've seen them all support before and do well

totalwar235

03-15-2013

cho'gath also supports well enough and if your not playing ranked malphite is decent if you just use him for zone control

neg9

03-15-2013

i really like using Galio as support. He is fun with his skill shot, and shield is helpful. Plus late game he transitions well into a team fight monster, so he retains his usefulness. His skill set is comparable to janna: poke, shield, slows. When you get your ult it is almost a sure kill for your adc.

I do not recommend Nasus because Q farm is the only thing he is about. His slow is a nice support skill, but that is really all he brings to the table.

missou

03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalwar235 View Post
cho'gath also supports well enough and if your not playing ranked malphite is decent if you just use him for zone control
Yeah, Cho'Gath can do great. Sort of a gamble though.

Lots of cons: Melee + long cooldowns + high mana costs + skillshot-based.
But strong pros too: Massive AOE Utility with both hard and soft AOE = strong initiate and disengage in lane + strong level 6 burst provides a lot of kill potential + can transition into lategame as a full tank due to his feast stacks, unlike most supports who play side roles throughout the entire game.

Gets zoned out immensely hard if lane falls behind, but also snowballs hard if lane gets ahead. He's like Blitz...hit your **** a lot and you win, miss and you lose.

Møgget

03-15-2013

I recently played a ranked game as Caitlyn with a Master Yi support. With the Master Yi Q + Caitlyn's range, we could poke the enemy bot laners even as they sheltered under their turret. We also got some fun surprise kills with Yi Q + Caitlyn ult.

NirDine

03-15-2013

Basically you can play as Support with any champion, some have better skillset than others for the task. You just have to adapt your build to the needs of your carry.

I would recommend Shen or Galio because you like them and his skillset allows you to support pretty well.

JanosWuryon

03-16-2013

Any champion with a hard stun can be a viable support since you use your ability to threaten and harrass the enemy adc or save your own. You have to play them differently then traditional supports because they often lack the buff/heal ability of "normal" supports. Id break the styles down in 3-4 groups

Sustain Supports: Taric, sona, soraka, kayle have harrass abilities and buffs to keep your adc up and in lane or push to get them ahead.

aggro supports: Leona, thresh, ryze, sion, TF, Fiddle cant do anything to aid the adc except stun people of them. Use them to force the enemy adc of of farm and keep the damage on them. Best defense is good offense.

Defense supports: Galio, Shen, Malphite No real hard CC but they can build to tank and just suck up damage. best to get the aura items and health/armor on them and clog up the lane.

Kill lane support: Akali, Leblanc, panth etc, not really a support but any burst character can fill this role. your massive damage creates a huge threat for the enemy adc early on. while this diminishes the power of your adc it does go a long way to screw up the enemy in teh early and mid game. problem here is it take forever to get both characters to the late game power.

If you find a style you prefer (im all about the tanks Taric, malph, shen) focus on being good with the character and know your role and build. people will rage about non conventional choices or build but bottom line if you help your adc win the lane and your team win the game that is all that matters

M4nTiCoR3

03-16-2013

Maokia is a great odd ball support. Focus on his root ans slow first. 1 point in sapling toss and use it sparingly as a ward/poke. Just be careful not to push your lane with it by hitting minions. The root plus ult makes a great initation for your jungle and adc to jump into any kind of stand up fight due to the damage reduction.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2013

Try Fiddlesticks. He's point and click.

3s Fear OP, and he has great lane sustain.