What exactly do I build to counter?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fireside Poet

03-15-2013

Okay, so, I have to say I skimmed the two stickied fact sheets and still was unable to come up with the exact information I was looking for, so here goes.

I'm trying to break out of using solomid/lolking/mobafire guides exclusively and learn WHY certain items are built. I am getting a grasp on the benefits of items over other in offensive cases (say Warmogs on Voli, BC on Panth, etc) but can't seem to figure out exactly what stats are meant to offset each other (save obvious ones like pen beatsmr). Can anyone help me out?

Geminex

03-15-2013

There's people who don't actually know what stats do what? : o

The wiki is gonna be your best friend, here.
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Stats

Give that a look-see, lots of very good explanations on there.

Fireside Poet

03-15-2013

Those are very descriptive, but leave me a little in the dark still. Lifesteal beats health, health beats...? D damage? Armor pen?

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2013

Here's a general list of things that counter others. I get what you're saying.

Auto Attacks(Xin Xaoi, ADC,ETC) - Thornmail, Randuin's, Frozen Heart

Burst Champions(Talon, Fizz) - Warmog, Banshee's Veil, Guardian Angel

BoRK - Randuins/Thornmail

Absurd lifesteal/gain(Volibear, Mundo, Warwick) - Morellomicon, Executioner's Calling

Those are the basics. Depending on who you're laning against/team you're fighting against you'll want to build different things. Lets say you're Ahri Vs Annie in mid, you'll probably want to build an Athena's first so she doesn't just flash combo you and you die before you can react.

Or you're facing a Vladd top and you're AD bruiser, you'll probably want to build a Maw of Malmortius or Wit's end as your first item.

A lot of it is just looking at what helps you defend yourself while allowing you to also do damage to your opponent. General item guides like those on Mobafire are just fine for figuring out your situational builds. Just be wary, sometimes Mobafire guides are made one theory and may not actually work in games.

I like Solomid's approved guides, because they have been battle tested.