Factions System Launched!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2013

Hi all!

At least since the Ionia v. Noxus match way back when, there has been a groundswell of community interest in "factions" and faction-based matches. I myself ran some Demacia vs. Zaun matches (the "Prism Shard" arc) and Zaun vs. Void matches ("The Institute Under Attack!"), and they were great fun. Others have done similar things. But I got to thinking about this, and I felt such scenarios were fundamentally limited by their "centralized" nature: I had to be around to organize each match, and it was just way too time-intensive for me to keep up.

So I gave this a try: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3215351 (Factions: Mirrorwater — main thread)

We now have over 1000 Summoners signed up, and it's off to a fantastic start. I provided the system, but it's the community energy that's really powered it.

The basic idea is to allow Summoners to declare allegiances and fight for their factions in matches with faction-specific rosters. (I am aware that this is not how the League normally works in-universe; the idea is that these are special, high-stakes scenarios where Summoners and Champions alike show their loyalties.) I wrote up draft rosters for a ton of factions (I literally went alphabetically down the champ list and assigned each one, making factions as I went so long as I could get at least 5–6 champs on each) and held a community-wide poll to pick four starting factions. The winners were: Demacia, Ionia, Noxus, and Piltover. I made up a simple MacGuffin scenario ("Mirrorwater") as a backstory.

On May 1, this scenario ends, and a victorious faction is declared. There will then be a community-wide poll to select a 5th faction. After that, members of the winning faction will get a private poll to select a 6th faction. All Summoners will then be given a chance to change allegiances to any of the 6 factions, and I will launch the next scenario.

I encourage all of you to join in! It's a ton of fun, and I think it bridges the "lore" and "gameplay" aspects of League nicely. Story-wise, this is cool because each faction has a visible theme, and people can get excited about being part of a "live" arc. Gameplay-wise, it's neat having constrained rosters that provide intriguing tactical puzzles, like how to deal with a team that lacks a traditional Support (Noxus) or how to smash all the keys at once and tankyDPS-slam the enemy (Demacia ... I have to mock my own faction). Since League of Legends IS a game, as well as a universe, I feel this is a natural way to explore its storyline ... by making it, one match at a time.

Backstory: MIRRORWATER (Demacia v Ionia v Noxus v Piltover)
See the Summoner list here: SUMMONERS BY FACTION
Join the chat room in-client: "Factions"
Rules / Main thread: RULES — MIRRORWATER
"Live" scoreboard: FACTION STANDINGS — MIRRORWATER
First story update: PILTOVER RALLIES?
Second story update: NOXIAN REINFORCEMENTS
Declare for a faction here: FACTION DECLARATION

I'm only one cupcake, and help is always appreciated. On the declaration form, there's a spot where you can let me know if you're interested in contributing, whether with score entry, with art, with stories, or in some other way.

Birdy51

03-15-2013

Fascinating concept! I can tell you guys put a lot of work into this project.

I would declare allegiance to Noxus and join for a few matches, but alas I am unfortunately overworked as of right now. Still, it looks fantastic. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: As new factions are added, I would consider having a faction specifically for the "balance" of the League and another group of Champions who are hell bent on destroying order. Mercenary characters should also be considered, who have no real home but do not support any certain moral ideals or city-states should also be considered.

For instance, Ryze, Kayle, Malphite, Anivia, Nasus, Kassadin, Taric, and Alistar are champions that generally seem to support the League in it's quest for peace. Riven, being an outcast from Noxus might be able to find a home here.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, champions such as Morganna, Veigar, Zyra, Brand, Shaco, the Void champions, and Nocturne might be considered the type of characters who just want to see the world burn. Naut, Varus, and Syndra might fall into this group as well, considering their motives of joining the League. Xerath, by the very nature of his goal causes destruction so he might fit well with this crowd.

A few champions seem to shirk morality, all the while having no true city-state to call home. Sivir, Trundle, Nami, Jax, Gragas, Twisted Fate, Graves, Fiddlesticks, Amumu, Nidalee, Rammus, Skarner, the Bilgewater champions, and Pantheon could fall into this category. The only possible exception I can see is the League's resident grandpa, Zilean, who seems to lean towards favoring Piltover without outright saying it.

The second note to make, is one that you have addressed a tiny bit. Some champions seem to serve a dual role. For instance, Dr. Mundo is actually considered of a champion of both Zaun and Noxus. Poppy has heavy ties to Demacia as well as Bandle City. Sona is Ionian by birth, but raised Demacian. Because of this, it would be nice if they could simultaneously serve both countries on the Fields.

On paper, it might look like this.

Dr. Mundo - Zaun (Noxus)
Poppy - Bandle City (Demacia)
Sona - Demacia (Ionia) / Ionia (Demacia)

The city-state listed first is who they support more, while the second is a city-state they also support, but less so than the first. For instance, Dr. Mundo will fight for Zaun in a Zaun vs. Noxus battle.

Anyways! These are my own notes. You may have thought about them already, but I figured I would throw in my two cents as well. Again, keep up the good work!

chase2426

03-15-2013

Bump FOR PILTOVER FOR PROGRESS!!!

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy51 View Post
Fascinating concept! I can tell you guys put a lot of work into this project.

I would declare allegiance to Noxus and join for a few matches, but alas I am unfortunately overworked as of right now. Still, it looks fantastic. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: As new factions are added, I would consider having a faction specifically for the "balance" of the League and another group of Champions who are hell bent on destroying order. Mercenary characters should also be considered, who have no real home but do not support any certain moral ideals or city-states should also be considered.

For instance, Ryze, Kayle, Malphite, Anivia, Nasus, Kassadin, Taric, and Alistar are champions that generally seem to support the League in it's quest for peace. Riven, being an outcast from Noxus might be able to find a home here.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, champions such as Morganna, Veigar, Zyra, Brand, Shaco, the Void champions, and Nocturne might be considered the type of characters who just want to see the world burn. Naut, Varus, and Syndra might fall into this group as well, considering their motives of joining the League. Xerath, by the very nature of his goal causes destruction so he might fit well with this crowd.

A few champions seem to shirk morality, all the while having no true city-state to call home. Sivir, Trundle, Nami, Jax, Gragas, Twisted Fate, Graves, Fiddlesticks, Amumu, Nidalee, Rammus, Skarner, the Bilgewater champions, and Pantheon could fall into this category. The only possible exception I can see is the League's resident grandpa, Zilean, who seems to lean towards favoring Piltover without outright saying it.

The second note to make, is one that you have addressed a tiny bit. Some champions seem to serve a dual role. For instance, Dr. Mundo is actually considered of a champion of both Zaun and Noxus. Poppy has heavy ties to Demacia as well as Bandle City. Sona is Ionian by birth, but raised Demacian. Because of this, it would be nice if they could simultaneously serve both countries on the Fields.

On paper, it might look like this.

Dr. Mundo - Zaun (Noxus)
Poppy - Bandle City (Demacia)
Sona - Demacia (Ionia) / Ionia (Demacia)

The city-state listed first is who they support more, while the second is a city-state they also support, but less so than the first. For instance, Dr. Mundo will fight for Zaun in a Zaun vs. Noxus battle.

Anyways! These are my own notes. You may have thought about them already, but I figured I would throw in my two cents as well. Again, keep up the good work!
So I started by making a full list of all factions I could think of with at least 5-6 champions each. (One day, while procrastinating, I literally just went through the entire champ list alphabetically and sorted them into factions as I went.) I then held a poll. These 4 were the winners. But that mega-list of factions included:

"Order" - heroic types not affiliated with any particular state
"Chaos" - Void, plus evil power-crazed mages and such
"Free Agents" - mercenaries who really don't care about chaos or order, or have their own weird agendas.

On multi-faction allegiances: I think there's a lot of room for quirky stuff along these lines, but:

(1) I want this to be a model for something Riot could introduce officially, and it might be tricky to code/make strict rules for that.
(2) There aren't a lot of champs who really blend well with two different factions, IMO, and I want factions to have strong coherence.
(3) I want to start simple and let the system find its rhythm before I introduce complexity.

But I totally agree with your issue-flagging. And thank you for the encouragement!

RawrGamer3496

03-15-2013

If there was a Void faction I would declare that >.>

CupcakeTrap

03-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maziel View Post
If there was a Void faction I would declare that >.>
So the factions I drafted for the initial poll:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3207441

didn't include a Void faction, only because I couldn't really get even 5 champs onto that list without some major handwaves. There are only 5 "Void" champs, and one of them (Kassadin) is like all "fight the void". I thought about a "well, maybe we'll say he's given in to the Void", but not only is that a really major shift but it would still only leave them with 5 champs, unless I started bringing in like Fiddlesticks/Shaco (who could theoretically be Void, for all we know).

My solution was to create a "Chaos" faction that includes not only Void champs but also creepy/spooky types who aren't Shadow Isles, and power-mad dark mages, and so on. It has a pretty consistent theme.

Still, I agree that it would be awesome to have a pure Void faction.

... I guess we could put Syndra there ... her magic IS purple ... and Lulu, who's obvs secretly a Void monster.

Birdy51

03-16-2013

Lulu always did strike me as suspicious too... Tastes like purple... I trust her not!

Sylph

Emissary of the League

03-16-2013

I'm down for some matches

Montesque64

03-16-2013

Also, anyone who is interested in joining up with this, come over to GD! There is a strategy thread for each faction up now, so come and share your thoughts on how to beat the stuck up Demacians/brutal Noxians/uncaring Ionians/Sinister Piltoverians.

CupcakeTrap

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
I'm down for some matches
Oooh! An Emissary!

Fighting for Noxus? … VILE SCOURGE.

Also, I want to see which faction Kitae, Runaan, and the others declare for.